Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:19:34 AM

Author Topic: Can't get 2.2KW spindle to work  (Read 14560 times)

Re: Can't get 2.2KW spindle to work
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 03:53:48 PM »
I believe that yo need to make sure that the spindle in enable or checked under outputs.
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 04:12:10 PM »
Mike,

Some called my attention to this thread (thanks)....

I understand you have the board clicking the relays like it should, but you are unsure if you are getting an analog output that is proportional to the commanded speed.  You need to measure this at the terminal marked 0-10vdc using as reference the analog output that is next to it.

The fact that the relay is clicking when you command the spindle to turns tells us that you wired the power and the step (PWM) signal OK, and that you did configure mach3 to do spindle control with PWM on the pin you wired.

Remember that the next step is to set tune the spindle to max velocity and max acceleration and set the spindles speed that you spindle will use under pulley settings.

I will be monitoring this thread if you have further questions.

Arturo Duncan
http://cnc4pc.com

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »
Hi Arturo,
I thank you for monitoring this tread, and to respond to my recent emails. I think that you're the only one that can pull me out of this hole, because you just got a machine going a few days ago with the same VFD. I read the forums a lot, but every spindle/vfd tread is different. Everything that you told me so far I did to the letter.
This is what is happening:
when I MDI a speed command the LED for relay1 lights up, the fan on the VFD starts to run, and the RUN small LED on the VFD lights up also. But the spindle doesn't run. When I MDI M5 the LED goes out and a few seconds later the fan stops. This tells me that the command goes thru the C41 into the VFD. I just went out to shop to check something. I commanded 10000 rpm, and only 0.02 vdc shows across the 0-10 analog output. I'm buffled as to why the spindle is not running. I could send you my XML file if that helps.
Mike
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 06:01:59 PM »
Mike,

You need to verify the voltage on the 0-10vdc terminal.  You should get a voltage that is proportional to the commanded speed. Make sure you set spindle under motor tuning to max velocity and max acceleration and that you set the spindle min and max speeds under pulley setting.

Arturo Duncan
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 06:11:42 PM »
Mike,

I think the relay is configure ok, it is the analog output that is not getting there.  So the VFD tries to start, but it receives no speed command.

Arturo Duncan

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 07:41:40 AM »
Arturo,
Does the C41 need a second power source to get an analog signal out and if so what pins should be connected to it?
I have a 12v pwr supply from you and have the original 24v one also. Originally the router had 24 v in it.
Can you send your xml file that you had on the machine with the same VFD as mine? I just like to compare it to the one I have. I think, something in Mach is not set right, that's why there is no analog signal.
Mike
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 11:02:31 AM »
Mike,

No, the C41 does not require an external +12vdc power supply.  We already went through wiring.  It is ok, and you are getting action on the relay, so there are no issues around this.

Please refer to the configuration of the analog output and testing that I have been saying.  The idea is that we confirm the relays and analog output are working like they should before connecting it to the VFD.

I will email you an XML that should work for that, but you will still need to set the pins how you wired it.

I may not monitor this thread any more, please email me.

Arturo Duncan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 06:25:01 PM »
What is that power input for?
Hood
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 05:54:09 AM »
Hood,

The C41 is powered with +5vdc.  It has an DC-DC converter built in that generates the isolated +12 that powers the analog circuit.

When using this board with our boards with RJ45 connectors, you just run one CAT5 cable from the breakout board to the board that delivers step, direction and power to the board.  So in these cases an external power supply is not required.

Another thing that can be confusing about these boards is how the relays work, as you do not need to configure relays in mach3, just step and direction.  The board automatically drives the relays based on the step (PWM) and direction signals and the operation mode (International or US).

So for most people this setup is simpler as they have less issues to deal with.  It is just a matter of one CAT5 cable to the breakout board and wiring the VFD, and as far as configuring Mach3, it just a matter of enabling PWM spindle speed control and tuning the spindle axis.

In Mike's case, he is wiring using the terminals.  But the problems he has had wiring this particular board, as there is a wiring diagram for his setup:

http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/JINAN2ESS.pdf

His problem is with setting PWM spindle speed control.  I understand from his last email that he configured it successful, but there were still some issues with the relays.  I think he has some pin conflicts.

Arturo Duncan

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 01:53:41 PM »
Hi Guys,
I checked the voltage across the analog output terminals, this what happens:
MDI-ing 24000 RPM, relay 1's LED light up, multi meter shows 10.02 volt.
At 12000 RPM it is 5.18 volt.
At 6000 RPM it is 2.97 volt.
MDI-ing M05, stops the spindle command LED goes off ( all this is done with those wires disconnected).
After reconnecting the wires to C41 and powering back up. MDI-ed spindle command, spindle starts up VFD is running also, MDI-ing M5, spindle tries to stop but can't, does this on off until I power off the system. Reset doesn't stop it eather. The machine is not under power at this stage, and when I exit Mach, the spindle spins up, than shuts off. >:(
Mike