Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:00:32 AM

Author Topic: Panasonic servo drive help  (Read 89350 times)

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
Re: Panasonic servo drive help
« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2013, 03:58:48 AM »
Update so ya know I'm still kickin'. ;D
    My finger is still about double size, when I went to work Monday the powers that be said gotta have it looked at. So they get me an appointment with company work comp doctor at 2:00 pm. Doc checks it out, tells me I did good by putting a splint on it Saturday, agrees it's more than likely broke, need X-ray to confirm, sends me to hospital for pic. They take X-ray late Monday afternoon, nobody in our little one horse town/hospital to read it so it gets sent 150 miles away to be looked at by someone who is supposed to know what they are looking at. ::) All day Tuesday goes by, still no word. ??? Oh well, even doc said "yes,probally broke,need X-ray to confirm then you can come back so I can take your splint off and replace it with mine". :-X
     Tough to get much done with a bum hand but I am working on a proper installation of the Scorpion driver board and Monday morning I placed the order for parts to build the servo alarm safety relay board. Also been putting some time into making some decent/better electrical diagrams of the build so hopefully troubleshooting problems will be easier down the road after I've forgotten how I put all this stuff together. ;D
    Hoping to have some progress to show soon, still plugging away slowly one handed.     Rick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2013, 05:51:36 AM »
I have just been doing the electrical drawings for the Chiron I am retrofitting, as usual I do things ar*e for t*t and do the wiring first then do the drawings after ;D
 A guy posted a link to an electrical drawing package and I have been using it and it seems to be making a decent jbb and the learning curve isn't that bad, which is lucky as help is in French :D
You will find the link here
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,24184.msg171175.html#msg171175

Hood

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2013, 06:37:41 AM »
Thanks for the link Hood.
    I'm currently just hand drawing and making notes on notebook paper, you've seem them before. ::) Probally tough for someome else to follow but I think at least good enough I can go back, look at my scratchin' and figure out what I did. Would be nice to have some "pro" looking schematics, might lessen the hillbilly factor a tad. ::)

Rick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2013, 07:18:36 AM »
I often do rough sketches as I am wiring then later on I will write up a file with where things come from and go to as sketches tend to get lost with me ;D
Below is an example of part of the way I did it for the Bridgeport when I did it. This worked well but nothing beats a real schematic.
Hood
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:21:32 AM by Hood »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2013, 07:40:06 AM »
Spread Sheets!!!!!!!  I see Spread Sheets!!!!!!!   ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2013, 01:15:57 PM »
Yes, you see more than your fair share of them, you are almost as obsessed, with them, as you are silicone enhancements ;)
Hood

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2013, 12:59:40 AM »
Well Hood,
    your spreadsheets look pretty pro compared to my hand scratched notebook, but I'm pretty good at keeping track of my notes and so far I've never had THAT notebook crash and loose my information. ::) But enough about that for now, I'm interested in hearing (seeing) more about these silicone enhancements Brett is obsessed with. You know what they say, once you've seen a couple, you pretty much want to see them all! ;D  
    I did take a quick look at the schematic software before work this morning, I've not used anything like that before. My learning curve allways seems pretty steep with software in general even with instructions that are supposed to be in English cause it never seems to be in the plain, common sense English a hillbilly easily understands. I also saw it's free public/GNU, which is something I really like but seems the author and main force in it's development officially announced he has no time for it anymore and dropped the project about a month ago, so probally not going to get instructions I can read well enough to not understand.
    I did take a short go at a Linux software package called "electric" awhile back for electric schematics but it seemed geared toward electronic schematics and not electrical drawings I'm more familiar with. I have an old pc running Unbuntu just for play/education, I like the idea of linux, free, GNU but I didn't find enough clear, organized info for a nongeek like me to get a good grip on it. ??? There's a ton of info but it's everywhere and I found much of it conflicting. No two "experts" seem to do things the same so a guy like me who don't know squat doesn't know who to believe?
    I have many reasons for building my diy cnc but one of the main ones is I want to learn CAD. At this time I know basically nothing so even if/when I have a working machine I have a big hill to climb there before I'll be able to actually MAKE something with it. Before I started this cnc adventure I questioned myself as to if I was taking to big a bite, sometimes I think maybe so, but I sure as hell ain't gonna learn no younger so with help like I've found on this forum I haven't had sense enough to give up yet. ;)

Rick  

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2013, 10:50:11 AM »
Making a little progress,
    I had the Scorpion hanging by the wires on the one drive I have jumpered to run just for a test and after Russ got me straightened out on the drive parameter I FINALLY got to see a servo motor properly jog in both directions. So now I'm working on getting all the drives jumpered and fed by the Scorpion so I can see all 3 working correctly, I hope. ::) Even my more permanent installation is still a temp mounted on the mock-up board, whenever I some day get a working system built I will still have to move everything one last time into a proper metal electrical cabinet. For now I have the Scorpion mounted and bout half hooked up.

But now I'm shifting gears again because I received the parts I ordered for the "safety circuit" relay board.

I'm way outta' my comfort zone here, The switch I ordered has .050 pins but the proto board has .037 holes. :-[ Can I get by with drilling the board to accept the switch pins? Also the board isn't quite what I expected, I think I ordered the wrong thing there as well, was expecting Both sides to look like this.

But the board is described as "through hole plating with one plane", didn't notice that when I ordered but now that I have it I see the back side looks like this, I guess this must be the one plane?

If I use this board,(I hope I can) should I insert the componets from the shiny, (one plane) side or the other way around? Any advice or suggestions you board building experts have for me would be VERY welcome.

Thanks, Rick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2013, 12:07:26 PM »
Its quite hard to see from the pics but is there copper on both sides?
Hood

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2013, 05:57:17 PM »
Hello Hood,
    I'll try to describe it because I don't think I'll get any better pics. The board "core" is yellowish FR4 fiberglass .064 thick. On what I'm calling the front,(because the manufacturer name & model number are on this side)the board is mostly yellow with a small ring (pad) of silver,tinned copper around the holes. The backside is All silver tinned copper but around the holes there is a circle of the yellow core showing which is the only thing creating separation between holes. Even though the holes are not all "shorted" together now, it looks like a if a guy got sloppy soldering and used too much solder it could bridge over that small separation ring and make all that tinned copper on the backside conductive to the sloppy bridged pad, do that TWICE and I think a guy would have a shorted mess.
    Does that help you see what I tried to show? I've googled this "one plane" thing a little and I think you could for instance bridge over the ground connection in one spot,(pad) and then any other componet that needs a ground could also be bridged over which would eliminate a lot of the  point to point wiring for ground. This would make the back a "ground plane. Same thing could be done with Vcc if you wanted the back to be a common buss. Not both on the same board but you can make this "plane" a buss of what ever you want as things are being built up. I think I'm understanding this correctly and the idea SOUNDS good but it looks to me like an amateur like myself could easily create an unintended bridge and end up with a shorted out mess. :o
    I hope this helps clear up what I tried to show in the pics.
                  Rick