Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:29:16 AM

Author Topic: Panasonic servo drive help  (Read 89417 times)

Offline rdean

•  94 94
    • View Profile
Re: Panasonic servo drive help
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2013, 07:08:08 PM »
CNC4PC said they shipped me two out yesterday but I haven't gotten them yet.
I know they were expecting them in when I ordered them maybe they have them now.

Ray

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2013, 07:38:50 PM »
Hey Ray,
    I emailed them yesterday about expected delivery date & got no reply today.  I think I might have another option working now. But thank you for the info on CNC4PC, hope you get your drivers soon.
      Rick

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2013, 06:49:24 PM »
Another question.
    While waiting for the differential line drivers,which I hope will actually get my motors moving, I've been looking at the rewire of the servo drive cables. On the same connector where the step/dir commands are input I see an output labeled "ALM" ,servo alarm output, pin 26. If I should have a drive fault I would like Mach 3 to halt operation until the Alarm can be corrected. I've read that Mach doesn't use encoder feedback, but if a drive should alarm because of say a following error that drive would stop working, but if Mach doesn't know or acknowledge this alarm I presume it would continue to run the program which I bet would get ugly (expensive) with only 2 of 3 axis responding. :o I'm thinking the servo drive alarm output should operate a relay with Mach E-stop circuit going through a set of n.c. contacts so a drive alarm, (ANY drive alarm) would halt Mach operation.
    Is my thinking correct on this, and if so what is the best way to let Mach know there is a drive problem and stop operation ?
                         Rick

P.S.  I tried to do a search on this & didn't get any matches. But I DID stumble across a thread about encoder feedback where the poster was WARNED about being an illegal user of Mach 3. I'm just using the Demo version at this time which I thought was recommended until my machine is working and I'm sure Mach 3 does run my set-up. If it does then I WILL purchase Mach 3. I'm I using Mach 3 correctly or illegally?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2013, 07:43:05 PM »
Rick,
 that is correct regarding your thinking on the alarm signal. Nowadays I am using the CS-Lab controllers for my machines and they make things simple, For example they have 24v I/O so hooking to an Industrial  servo drive is easy as normally they have 24v I/O. The next thing is it can take signals in as alarm signals so if one alarm is seen it stops Mach and also all other drives that it is controlling.
 However you dont have that luxury and I never used to either when using the SmoothStepper or before that the parallel port. What I did was have a series of relays, each drives fault signal was to the relays coils and the contacts of the relays were all in series, this if one opened it would break the circuit. I also had the E-Stop switch in that series connection and it was hooked up to Mach as the E-Stop input and when Mach saw no connection it would E-Stop and that would take away the enables from the servo drives so stop them, in addition to stopping the pulse train.
 That is not an ideal setup as you are relying on Mach to stop the other drives but it is still a lot better than nothing. I also in addition to this had another relay that was connected to the NO contact of the relays and that was then hooked in line with the enables to the drives, that way if a drive faulted it would take away all enables even if for some reason Mach didnt.

Regarding Mach and Demo, you can use in demo mode as much as you like no problem, it has some limitations such as max of 500 lines of code but most other things work. The poster you are referring to was very likely using a pirate licence rather than just using Demo.
Hood
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:45:31 PM by Hood »

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2013, 08:23:34 PM »
OK thanks Hood,
      Great tip on another relay to take away drive enable in case Mach doesn't cover getting things stopped , I like redundancy where safety is concerned. Now I have to do some research on relays, I'm thinking a small "ice cube" relay is the ticket but drive manual says 50ma max on the alarm output and I have never had reason to know how much the 24v coil on an ice cube relay draws.
       Thanks for clearing up the other issue, I was hoping I wasn't a Mach 3 crook !
          Rick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2013, 04:42:57 AM »
I use these relays quite often, coil resistance on 24v coil version is 3k8 which is 6.3mA.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180801697672

Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2013, 06:09:26 AM »
Hood,

Are you saying that with the CSMIO you're now merely relying on it stopping the drives on fault/Estop? A relay still seems more reliable to me...

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2013, 07:11:19 AM »
No Dan, I am also using a Telemecanique E-Stop safety relay module, see arrowed in pic. This sends a halt signal to the drives so they stop under power (Cat1 E-Stop) and then the timed relays on that module takes away the Power A and Power B input signals to the drives 0.5 seconds later effectively disabling them.
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2013, 07:49:51 AM »
That's only for the Estop or a drive fault also? And where does it get its signal from?

Dan

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2013, 08:03:36 AM »
Thanks for the link Hood,
     But DAMN, looks like I really need to learn to make a pcb as the componets you suggest seem to always need one. ::) BTW, that is a really neat, clean  & professional looking electrical cabinet you showed Dan there, looks like I'm getting advise from an EE, I better pay attention!
        Thanks , Rick