Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:23:23 PM

Author Topic: Panasonic servo drive help  (Read 89359 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Panasonic servo drive help
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2013, 10:21:07 AM »
USPS said you should have some line drivers Thursday or Friday.  They weren't real clear which Thursday or Friday though.  I'm hoping they were meaning this Thursday or Friday.  I have my fingers crossed for you!   ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2013, 05:22:56 PM »
 ;D

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2013, 01:21:18 PM »
What Great folks there are on this forum! Hey Chaoticone, pm sent.

Rick

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »
What Great folks there are on this forum! Hey Chaoticone, pm sent.

Rick

Look Hood............. Hes talking about you..................... and I think I'm in trouble....  :(

;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2013, 01:57:09 PM »
Why I outta'.....................you guys are lucky your so far away or I might have to..............oh,nevermind. ;D ;D

Rick

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2013, 02:37:36 PM »
Just thought I'd post an Easter update, good & bad. :-\
     I have the differential line drivers in hand,pretty sure I have the installation figured out and got an "all good" from Professor H. ;D
    I still have to make 2 more encoder cables & install line drivers before next test. Now the bad news, I have just spent the better part of 4 hours making ONE of the encoder cables,(soldering all those tiny wires into an even tinyer connector is some of the most aggravating work I've EVER done) getting every connection shrink tubed and buttoned up looking good. Put  cable on for a test and I STILL have the encoder error just like it isn't even connected. >:( The cable I'm using is used cable so at this point I don't know if I made a mistake or the cable has a broken wire? I should have continuity tested before putting it together I reckon but it's the same cabling I used for the first encoder cable I made and it turned out great. 8)
    Oh well, taking a lunch break for now, get to checking it over after I cool off & fill up.

Rick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »
Ha ha I have soldered quite a lot of encoder cables up but every now and then I still wire things round the wrong way or to the wrong pin. I always try and check before I plug in though as the drives I use most have 5v and 9v feeds depending on the encoder and 5v encoders dont seem to like 9v very much :D
Hood

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2013, 10:57:32 PM »
Well damnit,
    I double checked the cable and found nothing wrong. ??? I had first tried it on the same drive and motor as the first cable I made,(which turned out fine) so I figured the cable had to be the problem. When I couldn't find a problem I decided to try it on a different drive and motor, it worked fine there. ??? So I put it back where I had it in the first place and it's OK, WTF  ::) Now here is the depressing story. When I installed it the first time I tightened the retaining screws cause I was confident the cable was going to stay there, (first one was fine so this should be too, right?). When I double checked and found nothing I tried it on a different drive and it was ok,(no screws). So I put it back where it was in the first place and it's fine?(still no screws yet). Puzzled over why it didn't work the first time I decide to secure it and move on, as the upper screw is beginning to snug up I hear a "click" and drive alarms with an encoder error. >:( So I slightly loosen screw and drive resets, encoder error gone.
     Now I'm NOT tightening these screws like the lugnuts on a dump truck, just snug. I guess I could just leave the screw a little loose and move on but I'm afraid the board in the drive has a crack and tightening the screw must be warping the board enough to cause the crack to cause an "open" in the encoder circuit.
    I got the connectors with the drives and think they have been together since day one. The screws look original to the connectors so I don't think it's a case of wrong screw or screw too long. I've attached a couple pics of the connector for the last cable I have to make yet.
    So what ya think? should I leave the screw a little loose and forget it for now or do I need to open the drive and hunt the problem? Seeing how I'm NOT an electronics guy I don't know if I oughtta' open the drive or not. ::)

Rick

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2013, 11:27:49 PM »
BTW,
    The good news is that as long as I don't tighten the retaining screws the drive seems OK other wise. I ran the servo motor tuning routine and that seemed to go properly.
                 Rick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2013, 02:51:06 AM »
Ah mini centronics connectors, really nice to solder the way the pins are arranged compared the high density D-Subs :)
I have an Allen Bradley drive on the manual lathe, I use it for the spindle motor I fitted so I could bypass the noisy headstock, anyway I had a similar issue with one of them, tighten the screws and the drive doesnt work as the enable wont make contact. Could never work out why but I got round it by just not tightening the screws ;D
 I recently renewed the wiring but this time the connector shell I used had the clips instead of the screws and its been fine so it may be a problem with that type of connector.
Hood