Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:17:09 PM

Author Topic: Steppers making noise but shafts not rotating  (Read 49576 times)

Offline CES

•  62 62
    • View Profile
Re: Steppers making noise but shafts not rotating
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 11:53:48 PM »
John,

Great suggestion and I just tried it. That's what I'd call Out-of-the-Box thinking. But, unfortunately, it did not help.  I tried all eight possible connections even swapping A and B wires.
  I tried to move the PP card but it will not change addresses, it is stuck at 0x8C00 so the port monitor parmon will not find it.

I have ordered a GECKO 540. That should fix the issue. Wish me luck and I'll be back Aug. 13th (the date the GECKO 540 will arrive).
I will keep monitoring the thread and keep trying to get this card running. (I still have a Lathe I will need to convert) :) ;D

My thanks to all that helped.

Offline CES

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 09:44:01 AM »
I looked for a fix and found what might be a reasonable fix for the Chinese Blue 3 or 4 axis driver board. If you have similar issues as described in this thread, please check out cncZone thread:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/general_electronics_discussion/110986-how_i_fixed_my_chinese-6.html

(Sorry for cross website posting but it is related and may help others) :-*

This problem is definitely NOT a Mach3 issue but rather a poor design issue. The pulses from the PP card are not being propagated to the motor driver very well which causes poor response at best and as I have seen, no response.

Waiting for my Gecko 540  ;D
CES

Offline CES

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 10:31:06 PM »
Anybody still monitoring this thread? I changed the pin mapping and found a setup that turns the motors in one direction. Any idea why only in one direction?

Thanks much,
CES

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 01:58:30 AM »
If a motor goes in one direction then you have found the correct ‘step pin’. The ‘direction pin’ has to be ‘Hi’ for one direction of rotation and ‘Low’ for the other direction so perhaps you have not found the correct ‘direction pin’ for that motor..

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline CES

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 10:45:27 AM »
Hi Tweakie,

I changed native units to metric and that is what got the shafts moving. After I found a pin setting that moved the X axis in both directions the motor got very warm meaning DC current was being run through it. Have I said that I really hate this "Blue hyu68 3 axis driver" board?
  I was not given documentation with this Chinese board and the manufacturer will not respond to emails.

Still can't wait for the Gecko board.
CES

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 12:02:13 PM »
Hi CES,

The steppers should run warm to the touch but not too hot that you cant hold your hand on them. If you are concerned then reduce the current settings (Amps).

(When you get your G540 you can calculate the resistor required to provide the correct current so the motors do not overheat).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 12:15:29 PM »
CES,
I once helped a person with one of those Chinese boards. The documentation was bad. All the pinputs were wrong.
After fooling around like yourself for a "long time" we got one axis to work. Now do you know how many combinations are needed to
try to figure out all the rest? Loooooong story short, the kid figured it out by going thru a matrix, how many hours he  spent I do not know.
If it was me I would have stuck that lousy Chinese dirver board where it belonged .....right in the trash can along with the Chinese documentation that came with it.

Sorry for your troubles, but a lesson learned can be a positive, namely....sometimes one gets what they pay for.

RICH

Offline CES

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 02:54:43 PM »
Tweakie,
  Thanks. The motor was so hot that I could not keep my hand on it so very fricking warm. I am running 100% at this point. So down to 75% might be the right solution.

Rich,
  Yes, I have a very good idea of the possibilities. The first motor was the X axis and had 2^12 combinations and took me days. The second was very much shorter due to me noticing that pins 8 and 2 were somehow connected to the Y axis. The possibilities here were only 121 or 2 X 11 and none of them worked. The Z axis only had 7 combinations and I have not found any that turn the motor in both directions.

I believe the possible pins are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10,11,14,16,17
For the X tried each one in Dir and Step for 2 ^12 but I was lucky in noticing that pin 1 stepped the X or I hoped it did. As I went through all the rest of the pins I found that pin 5 and 6 kicked the Z axis (made it tick but not move and that pins 8 and 2 ticked the Y axis. so things were a little shorter than they could have been.

I now have X Step as pin 1 and X Dir as pin 7 and this axis turns in both directions.
  I also have Y Step as pin 8 and Y Dir as pin 2 but this axis does not turn in both directions.
  I also have Z Step as pin 5 and Z Dir as pin 6 but this axis also does not spin in both directions.

On both the Y and Z axis I have tried all of the other combinations with both Dir and Step swapped and this is the only settings that give me shaft movement.

CES

Offline CES

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »
Well, the latest is that the motors have stopped turning. I do not like this Chinese POS.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 07:32:11 PM »
I do not like this Chinese POS.

right in the trash can along with the Chinese documentation that came with it.

ECHO........ ;D
RICH