Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:22:28 PM

Author Topic: Ultra 3000 servo drive  (Read 3040 times)

Ultra 3000 servo drive
« on: April 16, 2017, 01:42:37 AM »
Hi All,
I am attempting to use an Allen Bradley 1.8kW servo as a spindle motor. Have a 2098-DSD-020 2kW servo drive.
Have bought a copy of Ultraware, Rockwells setup software.

I can't get the Ultraware program to recognise the drive as 'online' when its plugged in. I have tested the RS232 port
and it appears to be working. When the software is started or rescanned it appears to step thru
all ten available nodes but fails to recognise my drive. The drive is secondhand so could be faulty, obviously hoping otherwise
because I've done my bucks...

One thing I saw with this drive it 'requires an auxillary 5V supply if logic is to remain active in absence of main power'. I assumed that
the 5V was unnecessary for testing, but maybe I'm wrong.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Re: Ultra 3000 servo drive
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 08:49:08 PM »
Hi All,
cottoned on to what I was doing wrong.

Firstly I've never had this drive in service, its internal EEPROM is as it was programmed by the previous owner.
In order for me to program it to my satisfaction I need to be able to communicate with but the existing
programed communication protocol parameters are unknown to me.

Rockwell does provide for this situation, when the drive is first powered up or reset for a few seconds it listens for comms
at 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity. I had to configure Ultraware to communicate with this protocol to 'seize' the drive. Now I can set
the protocol of both the drive and the PC to what I want, with one exception an Ultra 3000 drive doesn't support 8 bit no parity!
Once I tumbled to this and set the protocol to 9600 baud, 7 bit even parity Ultraware would scan and detect my drive.

I can now program my drive and issue commands and the servo responds per spec....luv it when it comes together!

Have yet to decide whether to use analogue speed control or step/direction. Given that this motor is for a spindle for which I don't
require index control then analogue speed control is perfectly good enuf. If I want to do rigid tapping then indexing is mandatory and
I will be trying it at some stage. The question is whether to go the 'extra distance' ie step/direction now or at some later date?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'