Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:14:34 AM

Author Topic: Steppers making noise but shafts not rotating  (Read 49572 times)

Offline CES

•  62 62
    • View Profile
Steppers making noise but shafts not rotating
« on: August 05, 2012, 04:42:23 PM »
Hi All,

I have been turning the handwheels for about 4 years and now it is time to change that. I located the ball screws and associated hardware and then Mach3 and then the NEMA23 stepper motors and the 3 Axis CNC Driver board and a power supply. At this point I have everything but can't verify the motion of the stepper motors.

I am running Mach3 Version R3.043.022 (the build the really bad looking green Settings screen).
The TB6560 stepper motor driver controller board is the interface between the Steppers and the PC.

http://www.nbglin.com/tb6560.htm and see below for original manufacturer (hyu68).

Motors make noise but shafts do not move. I have increased the pulse width (in Motor Tune) of the step pulse from 0 to 5 in 1uS increments. No motor shaft movement. I have tuned the motors so they sound smooth and don't jerk on the table but still no shaft movement. I have changed Acceleration and Velocity to minimal values and gone up from there and all I get are motor buzzing but no motor shaft movement.

If I turn the Slow Jog Rate to 1% or lower, the motors grind but the shafts do not move. Below 1% and the motors make a grinding noise and the shafts oscillate and but do not actually rotate.
I have been unable to get any forward or backward movement out of the motors so I have not attempted to calibrate the different axis which I will do as soon as I get rotation out of the motor shafts.

The motors are wired with Red to A+, Blue to A-, Green to B+ and Black to B- on all three motor connections.

My DC supply from Mean Well is set for 24.08V and will support up to 14.5A before dropping below 22V. The NEMA23 stepper motors are rated at 3 to 3.5A so the power supply has enough power to drive all three at the same time and remain at or very near 24V.

My TB6560 3-Axis CNC Driver board came with no information; however I have found the manufacturer and requested information. I expect the data to be what I am using for my X, Y and Z pin settings.

I found several different Port / Pin settings that make the motors make sound but none that make the shafts turn.
In searching for the correct Port Pin settings, this is what I found -
On one web page:
Axis   Step    Dir
-----------------------
X      2         3
Y      4         5  Y axis makes noise if 4 is changed to 14
Z      6         7

and on another:
X      1         7
Y      8         3
Z      5         4

and another setting that I found makes the motors make noise but still not move the shafts:
X      2         7
Y      14       3
Z      6         4
(This is the one I am using)
http://www.fozztexx.com/CNC/HY-TB3DV-M_3Axis_Driver.pdf

Original manufacturer website (sorry it is only in Chinese)
http://www.hyu68.com/HY-TB3DV-M.htm
Google translator web page:
http://translate.google.com/?tl=zh-TW&q=undefined#zh-CN/en/

The steppers are on a table in my house so not connected to my (future) CNC. The motors can turn forever and hit no stop. I think I have ESTOP turned off (not enabled).

I must be missing something in my configuration but after watching all of the videos and searching the web I found nothing that would make the motor shafts rotate.

I did select "inch" and wish I had left everything in "mm" as the entire setup would have been easier.

Any help in getting the motor shafts turning the way they should would be greatly appreciated by this complete novice CNC builder.

Oh, BTW, I am modifying a Grizzly MILL with parts from CNC Fusion.

My xml is attached.

Thanks in advance,
CES

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Steppers making noise but shafts not rotating
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 02:07:25 AM »
Hi Chas,

I think your first guess at the  pins allocation is probably the right one.
I have made an alteration to your .xml for you to try (If this makes your motors move then you need to set up all the other parameters to suit your system). Rename the CES2.xml to Mach3Mill.xml.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline CES

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 09:46:06 AM »
Hi Tweakie,

I downloaded the changed xml file, placed it in the Mach3 folder, renamed the current file and renamed the downloaded file as per your instructions. I get no movement in the steppers at all in any screen.

With the file I posted, the Time and Int hovers around 2.3 to 4.8, the pulse frequency is 27989 to 27999, Blended Spd is 16.8 while jogging with the arrow keys. The DRO's show movement and the motors hum but the shafts do not move.

I started with the setting of Mach3 and changed to inch, changed the table size and setup the "Config" menu items for Port and Pins, Motor Tuning and General Config to setup the editor to be Notepad++.exe (Freeware and a very good tool).

CES

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 11:46:33 AM »
Hi CES,

Perhaps, with a multimeter check your motor connections (motors disconnected). The Red / Blu pair (A+ / A-) should show continuity and same with the Grn / Blk pair. Also check your parallel port lead to ensure that all pins are connected and that they connect pin 1 to pin 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3 and so on.

If you are using WinXP then download and run Parmon http://www.geekhideout.com/parmon.shtml this will let you determine that your PC parallel port is actually outputting signals.

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:59:32 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 01:44:38 PM »
Just skimmed through this so maybe its been mentioned already, if so just ignore :) but do you have the correct port address set in Mach?
Hood

Offline CES

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 11:02:48 PM »
Okay Tweakie and Hood,

1 - Yes, I have checked the motors. 0.003 ohms Red to Blue, Green to Black. All motors are the same. DC signal is a wire between my DMM leads.
  2 - Yes, The Parallel cable is a one to one cable. All lines are point to point, Pin 1 to Pin 1, Pin 2 to Pin 2,...Pin 25 to Pin 25. The little beeper is good to work with.
  3 - No, it will not run in Windows 7. Oh, Yes I can and will. The motors are making a whirling noise so I expect the port is working... Installing Windows stuff. I'll have to get back to you on this, a restart is necessary for me to run Windows XP in Windows 7.
  4 - Yes, I have the correct Port Address. I happen to be using LPT3 at address 0x8C00.
CES

Offline CES

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 12:27:02 AM »
Tweakie,

Bad news, The Parallel Port Monitor does run in Windows XP mode on my Windows 7 PC but it does not see LPT3. I will reconfigure the parallel port to be on LPT2 but that will have to wait for the morning as it is after my bed time, sorry to say. 5:30AM comes early...
CES

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 05:34:25 AM »
When you say a whirring noise I am wondering if that is stalling?
You have 2000 steps per unit set up and you are set in Imperial units so that would mean the motors will have to spin quite fast.
Hood

Offline CES

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 09:56:29 AM »
Hello Hood,

With a Steps per setting of 120, Velocity = 30, Acceleration = 35 and G's = 0.0388528, the motors make a heck of a noise and the shafts move but not in a single direction. Above 500 Steps per the shaft movement stops and the grinding noise changes to a whirring. The grinding noise changes as the Steps per goes up.
  Could I have been so unlucky as to have picked up three bad Stepper Motors?
CES
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 10:43:42 AM »
I'm just curious, when its "whiring" have you held the shaft and does it seem to vibrate? possibly a+ and a- are reversed?

John