Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:12:14 PM

Author Topic: Ethernet SmoothStepper first test  (Read 95193 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Ethernet SmoothStepper first test
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 03:35:46 PM »
Thanks Arturo, will check it out.
In addition to differential inputs I also would like differential outputs for Step/Dir on a board but I realise I am probably in the minority. I have made my own up for the machines I run and I think an all in one solution would be good for me and I think the only way I would likely get that is to make my own so I will probably end up going that route.

Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 05:06:38 AM »
Hood,

You might want to check this line driver out:

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/CUI-102E-10/102-1787-ND/1923401

It is designed to be used with AMT encoders, but no reason you can't use it to drive your servos.

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 06:07:16 AM »
Thanks for that Dan, I will most probably just make up a bob or more likely a few different ones for each port.I already made up a differential out  board for the Scorpions Step/Dir outputs so will modify it a bit so that there are also a few differential ins and that will be port 1 taken care of. I am then thinking of making a 24v I/O board for ports 2 and 3, probably one will have a couple of analogue ins for FRO and SRO.
Heres a pic of the one I made for the scorpion, works out fairly expensive getting pcb's done in small numbers but if it suits my exact needs then its worth the price, will probably go surface mounts on the new ones while my eyes are still good enough to solder ;D

Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 06:23:19 AM »
I am then thinking of making a 24v I/O board for ports 2 and 3, probably one will have a couple of analogue ins for FRO and SRO.

How are you going to handle the analogue inputs?

Heres a pic of the one I made for the scorpion, works out fairly expensive getting pcb's done in small numbers

Still cheaper than isolation routing them yourself?

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 07:24:44 AM »
Brett has recently been messing around with the Arduino and we are thinking of incorporating it into a BOB for analogues and maybe a few other things.

Routing would likely be cheaper but certainly not so easy and if time and hassle was taken into account I think getting them done professionally is cheaper, add to that they look better, have solder masks, silk screen, double sided etc etc.
I made 4 of them up and the boards cost me about £70 for the 4 If I recall correctly, bigger quantities bring the price way down but thats not what I am wanting or caring about, I just want something that will be exactly what I am after.

Hood

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 07:39:12 AM »
Hood,

Please note that analogs are easily handled with the pokeys:http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/index.php?cPath=54 and differential outputs can be handled with this converter: http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=337.

Arturo Duncan
http://cnc4pc.com

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 09:15:29 AM »
Thanks Arturo, they look good but I am really wanting an integrated unit rather than bits added together. I will likely be using the ESS on all my machines and Brett likely will as well so, I think, if we get 9 or 10 boards made up for ourselves it will be well worth it. Will cost a bit more than off the shelf boards but will be exactly tailored to the drives and other hardware we use.

Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 10:30:20 AM »
Brett has recently been messing around with the Arduino and we are thinking of incorporating it into a BOB for analogues and maybe a few other things.

Hood,

But you can't establish the communication between the Arduino and Mach over the ESS. So you'd need to connect a cable direct from the Arduino to the PC. Or am I wrong?

What advantages does it give you over a Pokeys?

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 10:42:53 AM »
Dan I dont know anything about it as yet, Bretts the guy thats been mentioning it and talking at 100mph in an excited fashion about it ;D

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 11:15:51 AM »
Oh BTW I will be using a Ethernet Pokeys on the wee lathe along with its keyboard so analogue will likely be used on it from the PoKeys.
Hood