Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:26:37 PM

Author Topic: How can I continue g-code tomorrow ?  (Read 17103 times)

Re: How can I continue g-code tomorrow ?
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 05:22:39 AM »
I loaded my gcode, write 2500 to "line" section, hit enter and gcode windows went that line. When I hit "run from here" gdoce goes to line 0, top of gcode.

I tried different combinations of "load gcode", "set next line", "run from here", "rewind" buttons, and different line numbers for starting point, but no luck. I dont know how this "run from here" button supposed to work.

that mach3 application is very good software but its some portions definitely need to be revised. There should be a trick to work with "run from here". I searched forums, google it, but could not find solution.

do you have any idea how to use it ? can you give me step by step instructions like:

load g-code
enter line number (while reset button is active, ie: motors are not running)
hit "set next line"
While reset button is inactive (while step motors are running)
hit "run from here"

of course this directions not working, at least for me... When I hit "run from here" gcode ayways starts from beginning...

this is the beginning of the code... maybe you could say "this situation is related with the codes at the top of gcode"

T1M6
G17
G0Z12.860
G0X0.000Y0.000S15000M3
G0X14.000Y8.600Z5.000
G1Z-0.020F1200.0
G3X13.000Y7.600I-0.000J-1.000F600.0
.... and goes on...

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 05:34:45 AM »
to: BR549

Ooookiii, doki....

when I set line number and hit "run from here" it runs all gcodes from begining to that specifis line without moving motors and very fast. then it stops that line and waits for "continue" command"...

my line number is 2750 so it takes some time go there. I thought mach3 starts over but actually its not. I noticed that codes working very fast and dro's of mach3 are not changing.

thanks my friend... you helped me a lot. have a nice day with full of smiles.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 11:11:04 AM »
Yep when you use RFH mach preruns ALL the code at hyperspeed reading (does not move the machine) That way it KNOWS everything it needs to know to restat your program. ALL the modal values are allready set for you.

Just remember it will restart at the END of the previous line to the one you select. IF than line ends in the bottom of a pocket you need to make sure the machine is lined up to MOVE to that spot so it does not crash into the part to get there.

Sling some chips for me , (;-)TP
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 08:31:45 PM »
Easiest way is to stop at a logical stopping point, like after Z retracts but before a rapid to the next cut.  Then make a note of the line number in the program where it stopped, open the program in a text editor and delete all of the code that has already run.  Leave the program header and any setup code.  The first rapid move should be to the next part that would have cut had you not stopped the program.  After editing, reload the program and run it from the top.

This assumes you referenced at a point that you can replicate, like the lower left of the stock.
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »
As a new CNC enthusiast, I am finding Mach3 incredibly frustrating. I have been able to get it to (for the most part) do what I need, but with no help whatsoever from the manual.
I am having the same problem as being discussed here, needing to restart a 16 hour cut after taking a break in the middle.
Nowhere in the manual is there an explanation (in laymans terms, anyway) on how to do this!
Everybody here seems to have a different opinion on how to do this from "IJ modes" to "home switches" to "modal values" to "optional (M01) stops" to "it's not rocket science" to "open a text editor and delete parts of your code."

I've had some success in the past by:
1: Before shutting down a job in the middle, note what code line I am at.
2. Upon restart, find the spot in the code where I've previously left off.
3. Back up a step or two
4. Confirm zero points
4. Run From Here and follow the prompts

It SHOULD be that simple, however sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I hope I haven't offended anyone here, but I'm extremely frustrated at the thought of having to carve 8 hours of air just to get back to where I left off yesterday.

Thanks for any clear assistance that anyone can provide. Cheers.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 05:12:29 PM »
It should and is as easy as you have detailed however are you licensed or using the demo?  RFH doesnt work in the demo mode.
Hood
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Hood.

I believe it is a licensed version. It came with the CNC machine and computer when I bought them.
"Run From Here" has worked for me in the past, although with smaller files. Also, it took me a whole lot of trial and error to figure out how to use Run From Here. (as well as destroying expensive hardwoods . . .)

I guess my biggest complaint is that the Instruction Manual is not very user friendly. ArtSoft needs to take a page from Apple computers and not assume that everyone who starts up Mach3 is a technician.
As CNC machines become more available for hobbyists and small woodworking shops, I fear that ArtSoft may be blowing an opportunity to capture this new market by not backing up a step and producing proper, usable documentation.

Just look at the amount of confusion in these forums with people not understanding each other, and using different and inconsistent terminology.

Small example: At one point I am prompted to "Press Cycle Again to restart."
When I click "Cycle Start" it takes me back the the prompt in circles. So I took the command more literally and looked for a "Cycle Again" button. No such luck. The manual was obviously written by technicians.

By the sheer volume of people looking for help in these forums, it serves as an indication of how lacking the documentation is.
Is anyone from ArtSoft paying attention?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:37:47 PM by blue31 »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 05:58:13 PM »
Well the procedure I use is go to the line in your code that you want to start from (actually starts from previous line to one you choose) There are different ways to get to the line, scrolling and clicking the line, clicking in window and scrolling with arrows on keyboard or I think, also typing a line number into the line number DRO will work although I have never used that method.
Anyway once you are where you want to be in the code window press RFH button, it will scroll through the code then a message will ask you to press Cycle Start for prep move, Prep move box will appear and if you are happy you press OK. Machine will move to numbers in prep move box then another message asking to press Cycle Start again once its there, press that and off it should go.  If you are going in circles by doing that then there are issues, if you attach your xml I will see if I can replicate it here.
Hood

BTW Mach is Art the creator who is retired (or as retired as he can bear to  be ;) ) Brian, Scott and Andrew and their time is pretty much taken up with things. Apple on the other hand is a company that probably has thousands of employees and also charges a lot more for their products ;)

There are lots of videos as well as the documentation but Mach moves fast so even they will be outdated but should give useful insights to new users.

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 06:13:38 PM »
Perhaps ArtSoft could be as big as Apple if they had proper manuals and documentation . . . (This is where I'd put in a smiley face . . . if I knew how to.)

In a nutshell, I have a demo version of Mach3 on my home computer (not hooked up to CNC) and when I try the RFH commands everything appears to look OK.
On the computer hooked up to the CNC, I need the RFH to go to line 346682. I highlight the proper line in the menu and press RFH. It hesitates at line 20, and then goes to approx. line 156000. At this point the Reset button flashes, which is kind of odd . . .

If I press Reset and continue with the prompting, it will indeed go only to line 156000 and carry on. I just can't get it to go to 346882 as I require.

Perhaps I will resave the Gcode and try again. Maybe something in the code could have become corrupt.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply to me. Cheers.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 06:29:27 PM »
If Artsoft charged as much as others do then they would be able to afford support staff, document writers etc, in fact in the future you will be able to choose that route as there will be an Industrial aimed version where you can pay for a support package just like Fanuc ;D, dont think many hobby guys would do that though ;)

Attach your xml and your code and I will test here and see if I can find the issue but another thing to try is turn off the toolpath view and see if that helps, could be the graphics overloading if its a huge file thus tripping the watchdog in Mach, you could also try turning the watchdog off. Toolpath On/Off button is on Diagnostics page just above Reset button, Watchdog option is on General Config page.

To attach your xml and code use the additional options button on the reply page. The xml is a file in the main Mach3 folder and it is called the same as the profile you are using, you will see the name of that if you look lower right of your main screen in Mach. You will likely have to either rename the xml or zip it with a unique name before the forum will accept it as the forum only accepts a file name once.
Hood