Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 05:54:34 AM

Author Topic: New system....servo are running rough.  (Read 2490 times)

New system....servo are running rough.
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:56:56 PM »
Hey guys.
It has been a long time since I have needed help from the Mach Guru's but I have a problem that has me stumped.
I have just put together a new system using a referbed Del gx620 which has an on board parallel port. I have tuned the servo's. When I jog any of the servo's they run rough. I tried using a PCI parallel port also and i got the same result. After I tried swapping the components I yanked my PC from my system and plugged it in and the servo's ran perfectly smooth. Any idea's why the Del is causing the servo's to run rough? Thanks for your help.
Russ. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: New system....servo are running rough.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 02:17:39 AM »
What does the drivertest look like?
I have seen mention of bad pulses from Dells in the past, some have been helped by doing the optimising detailed on the downloads page but others not.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 09:14:30 AM »
Hey Hood,
Thanks for picking upo the ball. I have done the optimization. It did not help. I have never run the driver test. What is it? where is it? what does a good driver test look like?
Thanks again for your help hood.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:18:01 AM »
Close Mach then look in the Mach3 folder on your computer and you will see DriverTest.exe, double click it and let it run, after a few seconds it will start running and you will see a line, if it is spiky then thats not so good unless its only small spikes. Also make sure you try it at the same kernel you are using for Mach by clicking on the frequency in the driver test and then clicking start timer, it will then start checking at that frequency.

Also worth saying, f you have the kernel set higher than you need in Mach lower it as that may help.
Hood