Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 03:33:26 PM

Author Topic: Bridgeport is getting an overhaul  (Read 25771 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Bridgeport is getting an overhaul
« on: February 21, 2011, 05:05:39 PM »
I have a Boss 6.1 Bridgeport that was my second convertion to Mach, the first was a clapped out manual Bridgeport. I stripped all of the Bridgeport electrics/electronics and fitted the G201's, steppers etc that I had on the manual conversion. It worked well but when I finished the bigger Beaver mill I never used the Bridgeport, so it has been sitting idle for probably a year.
 I have now decided to haul all the electrics off and start again, this time I am using servos and will be putting a servo on the spindle. The motor I have for the spindle is 3.5KW so I am hoping that will be big enough, I do have a bigger drive/motor (8KW) but I am keeping that for a spare just in case the Beavers spindle/drive die in the future.

Anyway this is as  far as I have got so far, waiting on bits and pieces arriving from eBay and progress may be slow dependant on free time.
Hood

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 05:07:17 PM by Hood »
Re: Bridgeport is getting an overhaul
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 06:35:22 PM »
If you have question, don't hesitate to ask Hood, he's very good at it ;D ;D

Jeff

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 03:24:00 AM »
Thank Jeff, will have to look that guy up if I get stiuck :)
Hood

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:35:30 PM »
Out of curiosity, where do you get your servos?

I keep looking on ebay in the hope of some reasonably priced smaller ones, but I've not found any yet!

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 02:36:09 PM »
 ;D Good one, Jeff.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 02:43:21 PM »
mc
 I have got most from eBay, they are scarce here in the UK but when they do come up they usually dont go too high. Of course the dealers are trying to sell them on eBay as well but obviously they dont have to pay to list them, or certainly cant be usual fees, as I have seen the same drives, same motors and same crazy prices week after week, month after month year after year. I have even see a couple that were wanting more for second hand ones than you could buy a new one from Rockwell for. Suppose they are just hoping some idiot comes along one day ;D

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 04:44:14 PM »
Bit more progress, have the lower end of the board almost wired, the interface boards for the drives are fitted but I need to solder different plugs on the ends of the ones I bought from eBay. I have a relay board fitted, got that from a friend free of charge, thanks Russ :) Also have the PLC in place and a DC-DC convertor. The convertor is to change the 24v down to 5v so that I can keep the logic in my servo drives alive even if I E-Stop the system which would cut the mains to the drives. The bigger drive has mains standby so the 5v is not needed for it.
Hope to get the computer tomorrow, was supposed to be here today but because a network card was out of stock they never sent it and also never bothered telling me. I phoned up to tell them to cancel and they offered me Saturday delivery FOC and also a higher priced network card for no extra :)
I normally use the via Pico mobos but with this one I am thinking I may need two network adapters and as I am not keen on the USB kind I needed a PCI slot, so I have opted for an  ITX mobo.

Hood
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 04:18:19 AM »
thanks Hood for sharing this Experiences.
i have a question about servo spindle Driver .
Whether this is a three phase driver?

Amir
**Even a clock that does not work is right twice a day**

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 04:30:29 AM »
Yes, the drive is a DSD-050HV which is 230-480V 3 phase, I have 415v 3 phase in my workshop.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 04:38:03 AM »
pls link for manual

Amir
**Even a clock that does not work is right twice a day**