Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 02:00:54 AM

Author Topic: THE LATHE PROJECT - 2011  (Read 119582 times)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: THE LATHE PROJECT - 2011
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2011, 10:19:43 AM »
You can do away with the reverse run button in my opinion which would provide room
for the jog control on the end. The C/S/M buttons can be smaller.

Rich, and others.....

Reverse Run button removed.
What is "C/S/M" buttons, is that Control, Spindle, M?, ?

Forget about the Part  DRO, but do add the ability to change the DRO indication from machine to program.
Not sure where as  space is a premium.

In Mill that abiltiy exist now with the standard DROs, i.e. if you push the Mach. Coor. button your current X/y/z dros in what ever work offset your in, change to mach. coor.
is this what you want/mean?

Found the radius mode button......maybe make the text part of "Mode" the button as it's as important as knowing what lathe switches are turned on.

Not following you on the above at all....  can you explain what you are saying better? The LED shows if you are in Radius or Dia. mode, I don't think I can put a Radius or Diameter
Mode label (text), into the system status/mode label, BUT, there is a Diameter/Radius mode Label.........  also a system specific label. I went with the LED indicator cause it take less
space than a label would. Are you saying you want a "Button" for a user to toggle between the two modes? if so, do you have a number for it. Or do you want a VB button that will do that for you?

What is Radius Correct?  Huh
  Opps.......  copied that over from a Mill screen.........  :-[

Others,

I am working on the lathe screen, but as many of you know it consumes ALOT of time, I am not complaiing, just asking for help here. I have to also during my day, find and do work. So, I can work on the screen here and there as time permits.
   I would like some HELP on this screen set from the community (really the ones who WANT this set to happen, and have done screen sets before). There is a HUGE pile of work to be done Especially incorporating the Wizards into the sets. I would like to have, an extra 1-4 screen designers, that would form a core group, that could work on OTHER aspects of this screen, i.e. like the embedded wizards (with the BitMaps that go with them).

I am working on getting the "Pro-Run" screen, and "Run" screen done, they will now be Screens 1 and 2 respectively, there will be a Init macro that will be with the screen that will allow the user to decide which of the two screens come up to run from......... OR!!!!!  mabey make two identical screen sets, an OEM and OEM-Pro version, the OEM would be the hobbie style "cluttered" run page version, and the PRO would be the production style run, with seperate run page.

It can be done eigther way, using macros in the page buttons, and an init macro to have BOTH types in one screen set......... but, what ever you guys think.
if we go with TWO seperate screen sets, the PRO version would have a Run page, and "Setup" page as page 2, the Hobbie version would have the cluttered run as page 1, and nothing on page 2 (so that we could really just have ONE overall master set as far as desiners go........

Graham mentioned some things that he would want to see on the Pro screen set:

Cycle Start, Stop, Feedhold, rewind file, estop, fsovr, ssovr, spindle contols, tool info, offsets table button(s)? (i.e. tool and work offsets?).

is there any other "indicators", i.e. LEDs, or Dros that would be considered NEED TO KNOW on the Production screen? If not then I will put a PRO screen out, that will
also have the "Setup" page as Page 2, and then move the currently existing screen as the OEM (hobbie) screen....

Let me know the direction your interested in going, i.e. Two different screen sets? OR,  One screen set with Two operating style options.....

The currently existing screen set, with all the Wiz-bang on the main screen is the OEM screen non-pro version, so from here before I do anymore work, which way does the community want to go?  One screen set that can do both, or two screen sets?

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning toward TWO seperate screen sets......... but, not married to it......

Tool OFFSET number DRO........  I can do this, but in a round about way, I could put a UserLabel that will show the offset number, or put a UserDRO there, and write the offset to it from the tool tabel.........  this would burn up a UDRO, no problem really since I have already claimed a ULED range for this screenset, I could claim the same range for screen use only UDROS.........  the Wizards would have to make sure that they dont step in this range.

Note on HELP!!:

If you willing to WORK/HELP on this project, i.e. start on the Wizards section, and/or other pages, Bitmaps etc. Email me.
at    PoppaBear(AT)Hughes(dot)Net
Also, include your screen name and real name, also, I will ONLY send this stuff out to people I KNOW who do screens, or
have contributed to this Thread. So, if I don't know, nor your work, you will not be included. Sorry, but I am going to keep
the core group small and limited to known designers/contributors. Max number I will limit to 5 of us. I will take overall project
lead (note not dictator, just trying to herd the Cats), to keep the project moving forward. Please ONLY those designers/contributors
who are WILLING to work!! (this includes Bitmap, PNG pref-able designers for the Wizards).
This ALSO includes those of you, how have Turn Wizards that may not be "Published" as standard Ad-ons, we can incorporate yours into
this set, IF it is something you would like to see released for general use.

scott

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:31:35 AM by poppabear »
fun times

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2011, 10:22:59 AM »
A little late here, but I would like to switch screens less as well.
Using blue screen now. To unload and load code I have to revert a screen. I saw beside the cycle start that I can just go back a screen to do this, but it's not as easy as it should be.
I often run different bushings in the same day with the same parameters, so easier is better.
I was going to attempt a mod to the screen as well, but haven't been able to grasp much out of screen 4.
I am looking forward to this and will help when I can.
Thanks.

Lee

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2011, 12:05:14 PM »
Leeway, (and others),

There is two options offered please consider them. Two seperate screens, a pro and standard, vs. a single screen that can do both, but be set to display the type you want.

scott
fun times
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2011, 12:58:51 PM »
Hi Scott,
Screen-sets load fairly fast, not so fast that Wizards should be a seperate set, but fast enough that two versions should not be a problem. I'm a hobby guy and want nearly all jambed into my main screen.
Thanks for your ongoing work.
Ozzie

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2011, 01:06:14 PM »
Hi Scott,

I don't see a functional difference between the two options you mentioned. Either way it addresses the two camps. Probably go with the easiest way to make. Two separate screens sounds easier to me...?

About the tool offset number, I only want the offset number to be shown, not the actual offset.

Dan

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2011, 08:39:27 AM »
I have fiddled a bit with some wizards in mill, but not in turn. Not sure that I would even use them, but perhaps thats because I'm unfamiliar. It might be a good thing to learn for fast one off type turnings.
I have managed to do a partial screen before, but that leaves me in the ranks of beginner, so I won't try to offer help. Just happy to see a new solution coming about.

The blue screen isn't bad. I like the way it looks, but the screen switch is the real issue.
I understand why Art made them that way as well. Initially it was helpful to get started running a lathe with offsets, but now I want to take off the training wheels so to speak. ;)
I'll keep watching with awe and anticipation. :)
Lee

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2011, 10:01:06 AM »
I understand why Art made them that way as well.

Art didnt, it was Steve Blackmore that did the Turn screenset.
Hood

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2011, 10:12:57 AM »
Aha. Sorry, Steve.
Thanks for the correction, Hood.
Lee
Lee

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2011, 10:23:26 AM »
Ha ha Steve has had a lot of stick for his screen over the years and he takes it well ::)
I dont like it but I will not say its crap, just not to my liking. It is a hard job making a screenset to suit the majority and it is one thing I would never do. I make my own to suit each machine, its actually quite easy and is one of the great things about Mach that you are able to do it..
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2011, 01:06:24 PM »
What is "C/S/M" buttons, is that Control, Spindle, M?,

They  would be the small buttons next to the jog on/ off  button as shown in reply#84
allowing for changing the jog mode.
c=continous
s=step
m=mpg
Thus you could save space by just using the letters along with an indication light  and would fit in the lower right corner of the screen now that the  reverse run button is gone.

-----------------------------------------------------------

In Mill that abiltiy exist now with the standard DROs, i.e. if you push the Mach. Coor. button your current X/y/z dros in what ever work offset your in, change to mach. coor.
is this what you want/mean?
Not really....
Machine coordinates in turn always display in radius mode ( irrelevant of configured mode).
If your program code is done in diameter and also Turn is  configured in diameter....... and you want to see the DRO reflect diameter you would need to change to program coordinates.

------------------------------------------------------------
Rad. Mode ?

Just an indication of how  the user has Mach3 Turn configured.

I always look at the "switch states / the mode label" , then confirm what mode turn is configured for, then look at the files gcode ( it may state what mode the code was done for).
---------------------------------------------------------------
Two seperate screens, a pro and standard, vs. a single screen that can do both

Two seperate screens.

RICH