Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:20:09 PM

Author Topic: THE LATHE PROJECT - 2011  (Read 119908 times)

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
Re: THE LATHE PROJECT - 2011
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2011, 11:22:01 AM »
The green background looks awful in my opinion. The blue is fine.

Also, what about these two things I mentioned in reply #54:

Add a tool offset number DRO.
Add an LED showing if the tool offset is active.

Are you going to consider this?

Dan

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2011, 01:36:27 PM »
Dan, what OEM dro number is the tool offset dro you want, same for tool offset active led, I will add them,

thanks for the Blue is ok comment, so I guess the Overloaded Blue it is.........

scott
fun times
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2011, 02:32:59 PM »
I find the lighter Blue must easier on the eyes. Thank you. Black on Blue improves the contrast. It maybe just the Font, but looks like some of the text is set to grey on blue resulting in reduced contrast?

I'm casual Hobbyist Lathe and Mill user on a small 3-N-1 machine I'm sure many of the users who are more commercial type users input would be more valid? or at least more complete towards developing a minimum must have main screen. At least maybe my comments will encourage others to add their own input? Hope so anyhow.

For jog controls at least for me I would like to see at a minimum Jog on/off toggle and a jog mode toggle between Continuous, Step and and Select the amount of step to use from the Jog step in mach's config.  I'll use .005, .001 and .0005 mostly to sneak up on a part to then set part (program) zeros.  I am sure many would want the MPG mode setting there also even though I don't use it. the the Sample screen JPG i posted a few messages back you can see what I have currently set

When I get my tool holder isolated electrically I plan on setting up a touch macro to sense when I touch the tool to the part then set part zero. SOMEDAY anyhow. Hopefully I'll be able to first touch off on the end of the stock then face it, then touch off on the X of the stock take a skim cut to insure stock roundness then set both my X and Z part zeros to prepare for the actual part run and execute. When and If I get this done, I hope to add a button along the bottom of the screen to call the macro which in function would be similar to the mill touch off macros

For coolant isn't it necessary only to have coolant on/off buttons? Where the config under spindle setup in mach it's self allows individual users to customize to output for either flood, mist or both? Myself I only use mist and not set up for flood coolant at all. Coolant on lathe is sometime I'll rarely use in the first place although there are times when it's required depending upon material.  In the wizards  and my CAD program to develop G-code I've found that I usually have the option to select (wizards) or control the type of coolant generate the proper M output via a setting in the CAD post processor.

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2011, 07:28:36 AM »
As a full time industrial user of mills lathes and mill turns the idea of using a screen like this is ridiculous, it's over complicated and cluttered. That makes it dangerous, a run screen should be just the buttons you need to run the program, setting up should be done on a second screen.

All I would want on a run screen is a g-code listing, cycle start, cycle stop, single block, optional stop, feed override, speed override, a button to offsets page and E-stop that's it, clean clear and simple anything else can be on a set up screen.

A CNC machine can be operated in one of two modes, set up mode and production mode, in set up mode you can have all the buttons and flashing lights you want as a trained setter is in the process of setting the job up for production.  In production mode an operator is using the machine and all he/she needs to know is how to start the process and how to stop it if something goes wrong or needs changing. The setting side of the machine and control is locked away from the operator.

Now, in the hobby market there are no rules because the CNC machine is probably never going to go in to production mode and the operator is the setter, in most cases the machine is used rarely and the user has had no formal training so every time the machine is used it's a learning experience and that is why they feel that every DRO, button and LED should be on one screen that way they don't have to look for them.

That is how I see things, I am sure you all have your own way of working and I am not saying who is right or wrong just don't try to mix hobby and professional systems as they require totally different screen layouts.

Graham
Without engineers the world stops

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2011, 10:56:29 AM »
Agree with you, Graham. Although having everything possible on the run page may sound more convenient, it may not be the most safe and fool-proof thing. The current MachTurn OEM screen has serious problems though. Main issue with it is the way the navigation between screens is done (you can't just go from any page to a particular one) and having too many of them. Another serious drawback in my opinion is the lack of an MDI on the Run page and Offsets page.

Too bad you posted to late, but if others agree, and most importantly, if Scott agrees, may be the prototype screen he's done can be still changed to have less unneeded stuff.

Dan

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2011, 11:04:47 AM »
Scott,

The LED Tool Offset 'ON' is 28.

As for the Tool Offset DRO, I think there is no OEM DRO for that. At least I haven't found one. Got to be a trick to do that though.

Dan

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2011, 11:11:19 AM »
Graham,

Ok, thanks for your imput, I will DE-Clutter the run page to what you say, and put a "Set Up" page that has all the clutter, it is NO BIG deal at all, to use the screen navigation buttons to the right side!!

Any other stuff on the Run screen, that you would want to see there? I.e. indicatior LEDs? or ?

scott
fun times

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2011, 11:15:47 AM »
Scott,

do not change it based on what I say, I for one will never use it as I have my own screen sets, design it for what the masses want, I was only pointing out that a screen can not be all things to all users.

Graham
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2011, 11:33:05 AM »
I cannot disagree with Graham a production machine should be simple and the setup locked away from the operator does nothing more than hit a start button, Watch, wait and repeat as necessary. You could train a Chimpanzee to do that.  Then, like he points out many are hobbyist operators who never make production runs of a part in quantities of more than one. I fall into his category of no formal training and serving as both the operator and the setter as well as Designer, Cad operator, End user, Maid and Janitor too.  This does not necessarily make me dangerous or my machine hazardous to operate.  For me having the most useful buttons on the screen isn't a matter of being to lazy to go look for them it's more of a time saver when building one off parts and using the CNC'd machine like a pseudo manual machine. Anyone up for making a real industrial production machine? Don't forget the "Reward Banana" button.

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2011, 11:41:26 AM »
How about adding just another Run screen that will be simplified. Calling them something like Run Pro and Run Standard? Should make everybody happy.

Dan