Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:18:10 PM

Author Topic: THE LATHE PROJECT - 2011  (Read 119907 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: THE LATHE PROJECT - 2011
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 09:53:48 PM »
Dave,
I have the modified ones and have started compiling a list which will be posted in the other thread on wizards.
So it should be easy to implement what you suggested. Maybe in a day or two......

RICH

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 01:53:09 AM »
Wes,

The conversational interface as you call it, will be very good. Most of the work I do on the lathe I don't use any CAM, just the wizards or manual coding. And I also like the look of Gerry's new mill screen. Looks very clean and easy to look at.

Dan
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 05:39:58 AM »
And I also like the look of Gerry's new mill screen. Looks very clean and easy to look at.

Dan

Do you think he will mind if we nicked it.  :P ??? >:(

I am not a fan of flashy screens and Gerrys is very very good but he is finding out that people want more

So as soon as more goes on a page things have to be reduced in size and you upset the peeps who liked it as it was.

So maybe the new screen could come in various flavours so that more peeps can be satisfied

I agree with Scotts statement that he just moved stuff around to suit his way of working as its a lot easier than starting from scratch

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 01:57:53 PM »
No nicking ;) , but it's just a good example of a good screen, I think. Besides, his is a mill screen while we need a lathe screen.

Dan

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
Maybe when we really get into it all we'll find that if we  know in advance what would be the most complex screen set with all bells and whisles
and you know where and how all should be placed, then at some point you can create a few screen sets along the way beginner, intermediate, advanced....
Just thinking out load as you would need to know where your going before you start.

RICH

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 01:30:20 AM »
I asked if he had any planes for a lathe screen. He said he didnt own a lathe so no plans for one. Maybe someone could get his blessing to mutate his screen into a lathe version. I would be up to the task of modifying it if needed.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 01:37:58 AM by DaOne »

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 10:07:22 PM »
Ok, here is some suggestions

It would be easy to "Implement" a single Screen set, that has all three (or more, or less), levels of use types.
i.e. Simple, intermediate and Advanced.

Since you have 50 pages, in screen designer, you could have the first few with the "simple" screen set, the next few with the "intermediate" set, and some later pages with the "Advanced/all the bells and whistles" set...

you could add "INterface Type", macros in the "Init" script area, there would be 3 "Init" scripts the user could choose from" Simple screen, Intermediate screen, or advanced screen.

there would be 3 different Macros Lets say the Macros: m2001, m2002, m2003 (for simple, intermediate, advanced respectively). what they would do, is when Mach starts up, the script would run a "Goto Page #" in vb script. so the user would see his "Level" of the main run screen, all the buttons in that set, would only navigate around that level of screen set.  (if you wanted you could put some CHEAT buttons in the Diagnostics area, that they could go to one of the other screen set areas, during a run time without haveing to reboot, or run the screen level select macxro in the MDI, or VB scripter.

scott
fun times

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 10:36:49 PM »
Scott,
That certainly would satisfy a broad range of users. To make things easy I am guessing that you would just delete those items from the most cluttered and generate the simplest
screen keeping common screen items in the same place and same size for all.

RICH

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 11:19:10 PM »
Is there anybody that is good at graphics design helping on this project? I am thinking some type of standard GUI would be nice. Not too flashy but looks professional.  Scott, I love the idea of user level screens. Sure it would fit the bill for many more people this way.

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 11:26:14 PM »
Here is a whole bunch of UI kits. Most are based on cell phone. This may actually be a good thing since most cell phones of today are geared for touch screen use. If we can agree on a look maybe next a feature list. Then what features should be where and so on...

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/08/27/free-wireframing-kits-ui-design-kits-pdfs-and-resources/