Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:24:54 AM

Author Topic: Go Home  (Read 16136 times)

Re: Go Home
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »
Hey Rick,
    Go to the settings page like Hood suggested earlier.
Note where your spindle is, use the calibration utility, it's self explanatory. It'll get you in the ballpark anyway.

What drives are you using ? Any Microstepping ? Pulley/belt reduction ?
If you motor is direct coupled, no microstepping then you'd have 10 pitch/5 start screw = 2 turns per inch x 200 motor steps per turn = 400 steps per unit.

Offline rickw

•  110 110
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 09:29:48 PM »
I know it sounds crazy but i used the cal utility using a dial indicator and came up with 1600. I cal'ed all three axis' and they all repeat but when I type in code it never comes out the same. So I calibrate again with one inch. then I type in code (g00y1) and it travels more than an inch, maybe 1.5 inches.
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 10:09:51 PM »
Well that sounds like you have 1/4 microstepping, that would be 1600.
Strange indeed, that is an extreme amount to be off but not near as bad as it was so you're getting closer.
You might try it with G1 Y1 F5 instead of G0.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 02:16:28 AM »
Scott was sort of right, there is really no benefit to having all the limits set to the same pin as if one trips it will fault mach no matter if you have one enabled or all enabled but there also no disadvantage. However when using the Limits as Home switches you will have to enable the Home entry for each axis and set that to the port and pin number of your limit switch. If you dont then when you do a Ref All the axis will just zero at the position you are at which is no use.
Hood

Offline rickw

•  110 110
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 07:14:55 AM »
I calculated it to 1600 and verified with a dial indicator and it repeats within .001. Now it jogs accurately but extremely slow. I was going to change the velocity and acceleration but not sure what is the proper settings. I am reading the docs on the web site to learn more about setting up. I'm sure it was the code I have been typing in as it always repeats now.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 07:49:27 AM »
Impossible to say as that will depend on your motors, drives and weight/friction of axis, so its just a case of trial and error when using steppers.
Hood
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 08:11:16 AM »
Thats how I had it set up originally because I have limits on all four screws

Are you driving two of the screws with one motor or do you have a separate A axis?  If you're using a slaved axis to drive both sides of a gantry, for instance, the slaved axis will have to have it's own homes switch.  The other three can be on the same switch, but the A (slaved axis) must be on a separate home switch.

Offline rickw

•  110 110
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 09:56:06 AM »
Now I have all motors running properly and efficiently. And I have the soft min/max settings in the motor home/soft limits screen. I also have all input signals to the limit switches (ports and pins) set to enable with X,Y, and Z, also set to home since they are wired in series, I only have one port and pin to assign. However, I am not sure how to set the table to 0,0 so that the when "machine Coordinates" is clicked, the DRO reads 0,0. I have X, Y, and A (slave) set to Home Neg because it will move in the neg direction to get to home (machine) 0,0. Can someone offer some direction?

Offline rickw

•  110 110
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 10:02:11 AM »
Thats how I had it set up originally because I have limits on all four screws

Are you driving two of the screws with one motor or do you have a separate A axis?  If you're using a slaved axis to drive both sides of a gantry, for instance, the slaved axis will have to have it's own homes switch.  The other three can be on the same switch, but the A (slaved axis) must be on a separate home switch.

It has its own switch, but the same pin assignment as the rest. Are you saying I should wire it so it has its own pin assignment on the BOB? Because I can do that if it is really necessary. I just thought since it was slaved, it would run correctly.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 10:31:43 AM »
Yes, if you want to square up the gantry with Homing then you will need a separate switch for A.
Hood