Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 09:22:28 AM

Author Topic: looking at 4th axis  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Kai

•  60 60
    • View Profile
looking at 4th axis
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:50:45 PM »
I have found a 4th axis online and for use with mach 3 every thing looks good to me but hell most of you on here have forgot more than I will ever have known.
So the main question is is this any good http://www.youtube.com/user/Simpsons36#p/u/4/glYDe94hxb0 this is a ling to Simpson36 on you tube he has some nice stuff up there and this 4th axix will work out around £1000 with all the mods. The chap steve seem very nice and I have no reason at al to misstrust him as is commom on the net and sorry strvr if you are on here as most likly you will be using mach 3lol.

Please give me your honest answer to this as I may look at getting rid of the cnc lathe I have now and move onto this all in one set up for what I do or more what I want to expand into further small model tank barrels and down to small 1/76 scale gun for the model making peeps out there up to 1/16 main barrels for the bigger toys of the rich among us.

Look forward to many thoughts on this from you lot so please say what you think.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: looking at 4th axis
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 03:16:21 AM »
Simpson posts here occasionally, heres a link to one of the threads about his rotary axis. http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,11422.0.html
Hood

Offline Kai

•  60 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 08:11:52 AM »
Yes thanks for that Hood. I have been trying to find out as much as i can about the system to see if it can repace the need for my small starturn lathe.
Not sure at the moment and need to look at the cost of shipping it here as well.
Whats your thoughts on it?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 08:15:55 AM »
I would say it looks excellent quality from what I have seen but personally I think that a lathe is best for lathe work as it is designed for it. Having said that it all depends on the capabilities of your lathe and mill and what you plan to do.
Hood