Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:28:50 AM

Author Topic: I'm in Hog Heaven  (Read 95930 times)

Re: I'm in Hog Heaven
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 11:57:17 AM »
My 4th of July project, Still wet with Boiled Linseed oil. Too bad the walnut split during the process of cutting.
Thought I'd try to come up with a presentation piece. So it's still a work in process.
Wasn't sure how the flag would look draped over the star, But for the most part it has possibilities.
4 Tools over 30 hours of cutting. Think I can cut the time down by 1/2 but not the tools used.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 12:28:12 PM »
You probably know this already, but you can use a PEG solution to keep it from cracking / splitting.
Of course you would need to plan ahead.

I have a fair amount of walnut and don't let folks pick and choose. They just leave with a lousy foot of wood and i am stuck stacking
the 1000 board feet or they want the curly gun stock blanks for nothing....been there, done that, no more.....nothing personal my friend
but i know where your coming from.

Nice work...post more

BTW, you can ge the curly maple feathers effect by wrapping / laying waxed dental floss and igniting it on the wood. Poor mans way to turn that maple into a muzzle loader stock which is deceptive relative to the wood used.

RICH 
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 01:31:46 PM »
Thanks for the information, never heard of PEG.
I'm new to the wood working trade, spent my life in the metal removing profession. Smelling stinky coolant and oily rags. Last 20 Programming machining & turning centers with robot gantry loaders. Now I do contract work and controls engineering. Working on 9 new rocker arms for racing engines at the present. So the weekends and evenings are filled with cutting wood and learning to create 3d signage artwork. I'd love to get good at this. I can drink beer at this job. Want to learn to make Jewelry also. Nice to have skillful hobbies isn't it?  

No one touches my wood pile. been collecting it for 20+ years. Recently I found a nice Amish saw mill owner that keeps some nice pieces off to the side for me. Now there's a real character. Boy does he collect crap. I'll have to get some photos of this guys shop. He's got shafts running thru walls with pulleys and belts running over doorways. An old Pratt & Whitney vertical mill with a B&S motor. Hand operated 20+ton overhead I beam steel crane.

Let me get this straight you lie waxed dental floss (not used I hope) and light it with a match and as it burns it creates a burl/feathery like pattern? I assume this is after you have sanded the stock and are ready for finishing? Got to try that one. Cool! That way I can layout the pattern where I feel it will best be seen.

Thanks again

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 04:20:28 PM »
Only new floss.  :) I wish i had some pictures to show you but all those guys have gone to muzzle loader heaven........
It's really tuff to find that piece of curly maple which would run right to the end of the barrell. When finished you would see light and dark areas from the wood grain and in absense of the grain the floss trick was neat...need to experiment to get the right affect, been years since i did that on a set of dualing pistols.

They have a PEG ( it's  different than the engine collant stuff ) and you let the wood sock in the stuff so it won't crack when drying.
Haven't used it in years ( i think Constantines out of New York sold it ( they have been out of buisness for a long time ) )

All this useless info stored in the cloud above my head....all it takes is the right posting for it to be remembered.

No i don't do wood working, concrete , roofs or siding anymore .......  just a comment before you even ask  ???

RICH
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 05:32:24 PM »
PEG: "polyethylene glycol":
"This medication is used to treat occasional constipation. It works by holding water in the stool to soften the stool and increases the number of bowel movements. It is known as an osmotic-type laxative."
That's Not my problem as of yet RICH,  :o

That looks like it is used for everything, sold by the local flimflam man I'd expect  ;D No wonder it made it to automobile use!!!

Pentacryl looks promising but kind of expensive
http://www.preservation-solutions.com

LDD: light colored "Liquid Dishwater Detergent" looks the cheapest and easiest to try.  (6:1 ratio)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 05:34:01 PM by Ya-Nvr-No »
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 08:33:35 AM »
I'd just done a store front 2' x 12' Vinyl Banner for him, so I thought I'd see what it looked like in raised arc effect. hope he likes it.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 08:59:25 AM »
Excellent work,

I do like that raised arc effect - how do you do that ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 10:17:05 AM »
Thanks, thought I'd show you a screen capture. Easier to visualize.

Sure wish we lived closer I'd love to have your laser to highlight the outlines and burn in my logo for added effect.

So I guess it's just another project to put on the list of things to build.

Still trying to get my large gantry done. Damn people want me to work.  :D
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 03:25:44 PM »
Learned a new free program called Sculptris version1.02 to make a 3d Panther head

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 01:55:48 AM »
Awesome. Really nice work.

Tweakie.
PEACE