Hello Guest it is April 28, 2024, 09:12:10 AM

Author Topic: Cutting outside profile  (Read 26832 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting outside profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 02:56:10 PM »
only way to sort the problem in uninstall and reinstall LC

I have at times found that if a software program gets "goofy" i just go out and come back in so same goes with LC, but,
have never needed to "re-install" LC.

all the info related to CNC machining
Sorry my friend i can't do that.......let me explain......
Writing a manual can be a real challenge, in the sense that, an author just can't included "all" for total understanding ( it becomes a book on CNC ) , so, at some point ya just got to say enough is enough. As an example, i could have just put the maunual out without any tutorials , but, i went those extra steps to assist the user.

- what is leadin, how to set and use
see tutorial #7

- use G41/G42 on leading outputs
do a search as there are some excellant example provided by Graham and for more exact info consult a book
like Peter Smid as that is how it will be done in Mach.

- Incremental IJs
see my write up in Members Docs....Mach3 Turn - ARC MOTION ....it surely will give you more than you want to know  ::)

- Plunge clearance what is it, how does it interact with Z
see tutorial #6 page 101 / figure T6-Figure 4 ;)

- Line number increment : why use 5 rather than less, can you add line in between, like line 13 between 10 and 15
i like to use 10 - user preference that's all  :)

-how can I reset machine coordinates without switches
read the Using Mach3 Mill Manual some.....click the Reference All Home and click each axis Zero buttons

Software manuals won't get you the specifics of using Mach, so start reading my friend, what more can i say.

RICH

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 04:43:32 PM by RICH »
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 03:12:33 PM »
got to read far too many things already, my head is getting pretty stuffed ;)
I just think that any manual should document each and every features the software allows you to use, otherwise, what's the point of a manual?

This being said, I think I know all I need for my immediate use, the rest will come later.
Regarding LC goofing up, a restart won't sort anything, only reinstall and it won't last for very long.
FYI, LC Beta runs on Parallels Desktop 5.0 on my MacBookPro 2.2Ghz as well, and I have no problem with it,  so I use it for converting to Gcode...
So a bug I believe it is, LC probably doesn't like my desktop configuration (Intel Core 3.2Mhz, ATI 9000 Pro, Win XP Pro SP3, 1500Mo RAM)

Thanks for the feed back and an altogether good program and quite simple to get into, I cut my first parts a really short time after I got all my gears (one week) and I'm very busy elsewhere, so that's a good point :)

Bye for now,
Bob
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 03:41:35 PM »
just tried LC with the licence, much nicer I must say :)

Thanks again,
Bob
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 03:53:30 PM »
-how can I reset machine coordinates without switches
read the Using Mach3 Mill Manual some.....click the Reference All Home and click each axis Zero buttons
sorry, I must not understand what you wrote.
If I click on "ref all home" the Z axis starts moving, but when I click Zero x,Zero y,Zero z, nothing happens, nothing resets and head keeps moving.
I must "Stop" in emergency not to brake everything...
Something I missed?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:55:02 PM by bob.titus »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 04:18:47 PM »
Bob,
If you had 4 boxes in the drawing, then you are meaning  to do an offset for all  of the 4 boxes at once?
I don't remember ever doing that.
I wouldn't  do that because if something is wrong ( say they are different and one of them has a problem with the selected offset / tool ) then  your back to doing them one at a time......

Usualy i create an offset so i can do a specific machining opertation on that offset.

The selected entities which will be offset must be connected / form a closed chain. A layer can be made up of 4 entities that make up 1 box
thus you can create an offset of it.
Or 4 entities anywhere can be selected, and then connected and thus create an offset of them ( but that is like trying to use LC as a drawing program and that is really not recommended ).

Back in a short, let me try something......
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 04:30:21 PM »
Bob,
Yes you can select multiple chains ( 4 boxes )  and do offsets of all of them at once,......but....... there will be times ........
and i believe  it has to do with multiple offsets of a shape such as a sloted / elongated hole where LC may have difficulty creating all the offsets.
Make sure that you unenable the chains which you created the offsets from before posting code.

RICH
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 04:42:21 PM »
Hello Rich,

yes, I've tried too, and it works with inside offsets but I'm having problems with outside ones.
I'm on my desktop now and got the problem importing a file that works on my laptop (and before on this one) it tells me "no entity found".
Then, another problem is that at import it creates a "printing zone" that is against the pieces to be cut with no clearance and I can't create any outside offset.
Last problem it that from are made out of two chains and I would need to unite (fuse) those two chain into one, how do I do this?
Is there a way I could send you a file I'm having problems with?

Bob

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
Bob,
Post the dxf file. I will have a look when i get a chance.

You can only connect entities, you cannot connect chains  ( well not easily).
Hmm...don't use LC as a drawing program, your drawing should reflect the machining operations you are going to preform. That's why i go to
great lengths trying to get that point across and the philosophy behind it including preparing a drawing appropriately.

On the ref all .......sorry about that, my bad as i assumed something .......Please take a look at Homing A Machine ( without limit switches ) in the Members Docs. I know, I know ......more reading....well....you can't change the the machine coordinates as they are set based on where the machine coordinate x/y/z =0 is defined.

RICH
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 07:47:16 PM »
ok, I found something about referencing machine home without switches, I will attach the file down here.

I found out about why some DXF did not want to import : wrong opening autoclean settings, connection line tolerance was to high with 0.1 instead of 0.0001.
I'm almost sure it was the cause, but didn't check yet, see attachments.

Here are two different DXF, both import well now (the 9CAD imported even with the faulty settings though) but my problem now is that if I can apply "inside" offsets very well, "outside" ones won't apply. I see "rapids" changing in a strange way when I apply "outside" offsets in these two files, but no offset is actually drawn, even outside the 4 and 2.5mm holes.
What is wrong?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:56:32 PM by bob.titus »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 08:44:18 PM »
What program did you create those drawings with?
RICH