Hello Guest it is April 28, 2024, 08:57:10 AM

Author Topic: Cutting outside profile  (Read 26831 times)

Re: Cutting outside profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 08:56:03 PM »
What program did you create those drawings with?
RICH
why? Don't you like them ;)
I created the drawing with Illustrator and exported in DXF.
Since Illustrator DXF does not import well (circles show as polygons) I then converted with AutoCAD (ACAD.dxf) and/or A9CAD (9CAD.dxf)
So what's wrong with those files?
I told you, I'm a noob...
;)

Bob

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 09:17:37 PM »
Good grief Bob,
I quess you didn't read the info on DXF's i mentioned. Every time a "magic wand" converts the info it adds additional info until it's basicaly corrupted to a point that even a good inporter is useless.
Don't create drawings which are composed of blocks or cells with nested polylines inside the blocks which were copied to create the other dupicates and expect a magic wand to convert them into a version 12 DXF. Spend a few minutes and redraw them in 2d and save as dxf.

I won't even fool with them here.

RICH
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 09:30:06 PM »
isn't it what I do with Illustrator, draw in 2D and export to DXF?
What do you recommend I should do then, what SIMPLE software will save "good" DXF for LC?
Is there a plugin for Illustrator that works? Because I can use Illustrator no problem, but the philosophy of CAD software is so different to what Adobe does that I'm completely drowned :(

And please no, don't fool with my files ;)

Bob

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 09:44:39 PM »
Consider AutoCad Light and other folks may chime in with some other suggestions.
Check out the Resources link above which should have links to all kinds of CAD stuff.
Not to be demeaning on software, paint or "etch a sketch programs" and CNC just seem to work very well.
RICH

BTW, CAD just another book or two to read and learn..........all part of the learning curve  ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:46:30 PM by RICH »
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 09:56:10 PM »
yes Rich, and this is exactly what I'm trying to avoid and why I bought a licence for LC today, because I don't have time for another steep learning curve.
I just need a simple software to cut simple parts for my prototype, that's all.
I guess I will just forget about all this and prepare all my offsets in Illustrator, it's gonna be much more simple, less risky and way faster than having to learn how to draw a rectangle in a CAD software ;)

Could you please explain this, I'm not sure I get it (unless you forgot a negation at the end) : "Not to be demeaning on software, paint or "etch a sketch programs" and CNC just seem to work very well. "

Don't forget I'm a frog and my english is very basic...

Bob

PS : were can I find LazyTurn manual?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:58:30 PM by bob.titus »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 07:34:54 AM »
The programs are not vector based  in that they don't create drawings based on math.
You can find the manual in Members Docs.
RICH
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 07:56:25 AM »
thanks for the manual, what about a name for a simple and user friendly CAD program that would do the job?

Bob
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
ok, so for those who like me can't be bothered to get into a new (very steep) learning curve and just would like to export simple 2D designs from Adobe Illustrator to LC, here is what you need :

http://www.baby-universe.co.jp/en/plug-in/products/exdxf-pro/

The files produced with this plugin will import in LC and so far, everything works just fine with those I tried.
I used tolerance of 0.01 and Poly + Arc or Line + Arc in export menu...

Rich :here are 2 files processed with the plugin. Probably not the cleanest, may be you could tell me how they look from a pro point of view.

"why complicate when you can do simple"
Happy Bob :)

PS : I know there are many answers to provide on the forum and days are unfortunately only 24h long...
I feel I have been privileged and would like to thanks Rich for his fast and valuable support.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:54:25 AM by bob.titus »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 04:49:43 PM »
Bob,
Whatever works for you and satisfies what you want to do is what matters!
There is no one way or solution to anything. Have fun........ ;)
RICH
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 04:53:41 PM »
sure Rich, we agree on this, every road leads to Rome indeed :)
Could you have a look at the files and tell me what you think though?

Thanks,
Bob