Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:16:27 PM

Author Topic: My Big Project am I crazy  (Read 37592 times)

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
Re: My Big Project am I crazy
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 05:44:59 PM »
Matt,

Not sure if I sent you off down the rabbit hole, but mill does not handle tool offsets the same way as Turn. Might still work out OK, but be a bit more involved than I thought at first. You might have to use some type of coordinate offset scheme to get it to work right.

Sorry, I had lathe on the brain.

Monty
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 10:03:54 AM »
The machine is finally here  :).

I have been out of town for a while and had to delay getting the machine moved. Moving the machine has been a much bigger and expensive job than what I had planed on. The weight of just the machine was 13,000 lbs.  

Next step is to have the electrician upgrade the building service and put in a dedicated 100 amp 3 phase circuit for the main transformer of the machine. Need to have 380v into the main cabinet.

Taking time now to try and understand how the machine is wired up and functions. Trying to make flow charts of how things work and what wires will need to be interfaced to the new controller. I have the wiring diagrams and the cabinet is laid out cleanly with just about all the wires and components labeled. It looks like a lot of the safety and emergency features are handled mechanically (relays) instead of logically (the control box).

The machine has large dc servo motors and separate servo amps that I should be able to keep and use. Plus there are additional encoders on each axis.

All of the spindles are powered from one inverter. Relays are used to select which spindle gets the power.  (I think this is what BluePinnacle was suggesting)

So far no big surprises but this looks like this is going to be a big project. Hope to have power next week.

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 10:43:32 AM »
WOW...what a BEAST !
Nice looking machine.
Of all the routers I've seen, which isn't very many, this is the first one I've seen set up this way.
A bridge with the X, Y and the Z mounted to bottom of it.
Cool.
Conserves space well too.
What does one typically call this type of configuration of the axis' ? Is there a common name for it ?

Thanks,
Russ

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 11:37:11 AM »
Is there a common name for it ?

Yes, it's called OLD. :) Busellato stopped making them that way about 10 years ago I think. I actually saw one in operation before we bought our first machine about 12 years ago. I've seen a lot of big router and point to point machines, and these are the only ones I've seen with this configuration.

The one I saw was used for making knock down furniture (like IKEA) and actually inserted some of the hardware after drilling the holes for it.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 12:14:27 PM »
its the same layout as some of the very old biesse too.
if its anything like biesse theres a lot of i/o controlled by serial communication including the inverter.
if its not broken yet, fit more gadgets!
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 12:19:10 PM »
im using a galil controller via mach whicg gives very smooth movement on the servos. well worth the money and its fully closed loop.
so many i/o to handle though! has it got an atc on it?
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 10:09:40 AM »
This is an older machine (1996) but from what I can tell so far the x axis servo has a manufacture date of 2008 and two of the router spindles and the drill head spindle have a manufacture date of late 2007. There is a service log showing doing normal service as well as changing various parts including having the drill spindle head rebuilt. It looks like this machine has been kept in good running order before the company shut down.

There is no tool changer just the three main routers, a saw and 28 drill spindles driven from one spindle motor.

The electricians upgraded the service and put in the 100 amp circuit for the machine last week. It took a little trial and error to get the taps on the transformer coils wired properly. The transformer was originally set to have a 480 delta input and had to be converted to work off a 208 Y input. The main cabinet needs 380v to work.

I have been trying to figure out the original control software to better understand what needs to be done for the conversion. I can jog the head on all axes but not sure how to turn on the spindles. With the controller in manual mode it shows that there are 64 inputs and 110 outputs configured. The I/O’s are labeled in abbreviated Italian so not sure how much I will be able to figure out. I’m not too comfortable just turning on outputs to see what happens.

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 12:38:59 PM »
IF YOU CAN PULL UP THE FIXED CYCLES SCREEN YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO WORK OUT HOW TO GET ROUTERS TO SPIN
ON A BIESSE IT PULLS UP FIXED CYCLE PON  BY USING L=PON
I READ ALL FIXED CYCLES TO CONFIRM LOGIC HANDLING ETC ON MINE.
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 04:54:10 AM »
Awesome machine! what a catch. I'd be interested to know how the spindles are physically arranged. Would you provide pictures of these? I've never seen a big multi-spindle arrangement like this up close but I'd love to given the opportunity. :)
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 09:18:39 AM »
Battwell,

I not finding a fixed cycle screen but thanks for the suggestion. I did find a screen to manually change the analog voltage to each axis(1 -6), I think I will try to manually turn on the appropriate relays by jumping voltage to each one and then try to send a low analog voltage from the manual screen to see if that will get a spindle to turn on.  

BluePinnacle,

Here are some pictures of the head. There's a lot more there than what I need. I just want to get one or two spindles working first and than in time try to get more things working.

Matt