Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:30:40 AM

Author Topic: My Big Project am I crazy  (Read 37590 times)

My Big Project am I crazy
« on: January 28, 2010, 07:17:04 PM »
Hello,

This is my first post here. I have been reading the Mach and other cnc forums for several years now.

I have purchased an older used big router that I want to rebuild and update to be able to work with newer software like Aspire. The machine is in good condition and runs fine but is very limited to working with its original software. The plan is to use Mach for the control software and Galil components to replace the control hardware.

The machine has a lot of components (3 router spindles, lots of drill spindles, a saw and several locating pop ups). I plan on trying to just get  one spindle working and getting control of the three axis first so the machine can be used. With more time it would be nice to get the other features working.

I look forward to meeting and talking with people here about this project. There is a great amount of knowledge and experience represented on this forum. I will have a lot of questions and will be looking for suggestions on the best way to make this work.  

My work experience that should help with this project includes
aircraft electrician/mechanic for more than 15 years
information technology 9 years
technical hardware development and implementation 4 years
designing and cutting components on a cnc machine 3 years

Thanks in advance for all the help

Matt

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: My Big Project am I crazy
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 07:36:56 PM »
Busellato?

Supposedly, the next version of mach3 (ver4) will make it easier to use the multiple spindles.

Big project, good luck.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:22:24 PM by ger21 »
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 07:43:08 PM »
Yes it's a 96 Busellato Supermaster 150

I will look forward to the new version, any idea on time when it might be released?

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 05:27:28 PM »
Hello,

This is my first post here. I have been reading the Mach and other cnc forums for several years now.

I have purchased an older used big router that I want to rebuild and update to be able to work with newer software like Aspire. The machine is in good condition and runs fine but is very limited to working with its original software. The plan is to use Mach for the control software and Galil components to replace the control hardware.

The machine has a lot of components (3 router spindles, lots of drill spindles, a saw and several locating pop ups). I plan on trying to just get  one spindle working and getting control of the three axis first so the machine can be used. With more time it would be nice to get the other features working.

I look forward to meeting and talking with people here about this project. There is a great amount of knowledge and experience represented on this forum. I will have a lot of questions and will be looking for suggestions on the best way to make this work.  

My work experience that should help with this project includes
aircraft electrician/mechanic for more than 15 years
information technology 9 years
technical hardware development and implementation 4 years
designing and cutting components on a cnc machine 3 years

Thanks in advance for all the help

Matt

I think we'll be coming to you :)

Would mach3 be able to treat multiple spindles as some sort ot tool changer arrangement?

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 05:48:39 PM »
I think you could handle the multiple spindles with tool offsets. You might have to write a macro to turn on the proper one. Or you could use a PLC for that part.

I wouldn't say you are crazy...just ambitious.  ;D

Monty
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 06:01:49 AM »
Or switch power from one to the other using simple relay logic. It's primitive but very easy to impliment.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 10:10:10 AM »
The thought of using a tool offset sounds good.

I'm thinking of trying to make a macro that would -

make sure all spindles are raised up and turned off
set the tool offset for the proper spindle
energize the relay to pneumatically lower the proper spindle
zero the z on a touch off plate
move to a safe position
turn on the spindle

Once the first macro is made it should be easier to make additional macros for the other spindles. This will be my first time writing a macro for mach so it should be a good challenge.

Is it possible to link a macro to a tool number?

Matt

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 12:39:07 PM »
Matt,

I would use the M6start and M6End macros to accomplish what you want to do. You will need some logic in the macro to look at the selected tool and decide what spindle goes with it. Then turn on the appropriate output to your relays. Prepare yourself for confusion. I would check out the mach customization docs. Also have a look at the Wiki and the mach2 manual. The info you need is spread out all over the place.

You might also find my turret macro helpful to get an idea how things work:

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,12990.0.html

Brett has been reorganizing all the inputs and cleaning up the OEM button and DRO naming conventions for Mach4. Lets just say that it is rather organic in its present state.

The offsets to the spindle in use will be in the tool table.

So when you call for T0110

You are asking for T01 (spindle #1) and offset 10 (can be 10,11,12 etc) so you would have offsets for various tools in spindle #1

T2 can be spindle 2 etc.

Monty
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 10:45:40 AM »
Thanks, Monty

I have to catch a flight later today so I have saved the manual, docs and your macro's to read on the plane.

Should have some questions soon.

Matt

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 01:00:20 PM »
Matt,

I'll try to help if I can. I felt a lot like a blind man in a dark room trying to work my way through some of this. I've bumped into enough stuff to have some idea of how things work, but I'm no expert by any means. My shins hurt though.  ;D

Monty