Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:19:25 AM

Author Topic: Stragen events question  (Read 22797 times)

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
Re: Stragen events question
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 03:16:48 PM »
Yes the Z was retracting to move to the next spot on the letter this would have been a 1/5 move up toy relocate same cut then down to start again it was carving the letter.  It has cut the back side of the s and the bottom and was moving to cut the top and join the bottom for opening the letter. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 03:18:50 PM »
Ok thats good, now do you recall if the DRO was still showing it being at the correct position or was the DRO showing it to be out?
Hood

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 03:21:14 PM »
the dro showed it to be in the correct position.  However it was at least a 1/2 inch too high.

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 03:23:18 PM »
I actually watched the Z move up stop move up and then down to begin again.  That is how I knew we were in the weeds so I ran and stopped the program looked at the DRO and it said I was cutting .062 deep and was about a 1/2 inch above the work piece.

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 03:25:58 PM »
I need to give you the exact steps it did.  Thehead moved up above the work piece.  relocated to the next position x-y then the head moved up again then down at this point I was above the work.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 03:27:17 PM »
Ok so looks like Mach is seeing things correctly. From what I have gathered from Art, Mach counts the pulses going out of the parallel port and puts them into the DRO, so if the DRO shows correct then it should be unless there is a problem further out, ie hardware or noise issue.
 Do you have separate drives on your machine so that you can easily swap them out, say swap the X for the Z and vice versa and then see if the Z still misbehaves or see if the problem goes to the X.

Hood

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 03:30:41 PM »
Yes I can do this, Three separate Gecko drives one for each axis.  Are you thinking it might be the drive? 

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 03:35:55 PM »
This might sound stupid but here goes, My motors steppers have four wires from them and are for about 6" not shielded.   Just bare wire connected to a plastic terminal strip that joins a four wire shielded cable to run on to the controller.  My controller uses plastic terminal strips that plug into the board they are green and l shaped so they can only be connected one way.  the wires feed into the screw terminals at the back side of the block and then is plugged into the connector on the controller board.    With all that said I have about 6" of bare wired exposed to any noise that might be around.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 04:39:09 PM »
Sorry Norm, just home from the workshop.
 It could be anything really, seems it is more likely hardware than software and swapping out drives to see if the problem follows is the first and usually the easiest step.
 Noise is probably unlikely unless you have recently added something or moved things around so motor, drive or bob is more likely.
Hood

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 05:37:41 PM »
Have you lubricated the screw?

95% (probably more like 99%) of the times that people lose position on the Z axis, it's because their machine is being pushed too hard for it's capabilities.

Can you gice us some info on your Z axis? Drive, motor, screw, voltage?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html