Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:31:47 AM

Author Topic: Stragen events question  (Read 22798 times)

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
Re: Stragen events question
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 06:13:10 PM »
I am afraid I do not know that.  I know I have recently and usually monthly when in use lubricate the screw all of them XY & Z axis.  They are all equipped with anti backlash nuts mounted to the mechanism.  The screws are 4 turn per inch that I know and the motors are 270 ox 1/8  pretty standard stuff there. 

One thing I did not mention and it just slipped my mind.  This last time when things went into the weeds, I was trying to move the Z axis down and down was up  did that several times then all at once it moved correctly.  I am not sue that says anything but now you have it.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 06:18:49 PM »
It sounds to me like there is an issue with your Direction signal, this could be as simple as a bad connection but could also be a bad output on your breakout or even a bad drive.
 One thing to do is have a look at the Dir Prechange in Motor tuning and see what its set to, usually Geckos will run fine at 0 but some find they need as much as 5 for both pulse width and Dir Prechange so its worth looking and trying.
Hood

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 06:24:48 PM »
Mine are both set to "0" Well maybe ................ I can try that easy enough but what to set it for.  It is so strange tough can act up once then run all the rest of the program and then next time can act up many times in a row...........???  This is strange...........  I can surely switch the drives around and also increase the Dir Pulse should the step pulse change too?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 06:31:50 PM »
Would just try at 5 for the Prechange and see if it helps. Do one thing at a time as then you will know what cured the problem. If that doesnt work then check the wiring from your breakout to the Z drive, paying particular attention to the  Dir output as that could well be the culprit if it is not making good contact, will work sometimes and others not. If thats all ok then try the drive, if its still not right then swap outputs on the breakout for Z step and Dir (remembering to change also in Mach) and see if the problem then is with the stepping rather than the Direction. If it does change to ste problems then your breakout is the issue.
Hood

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 06:32:33 PM »
What really does the step and dir pulse do?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 06:34:27 PM »
Are you asking about the settings in motor tuning or the actual pulses themselves?
Hood

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 06:35:52 PM »
in the motor setting..............or motor tuning........what do those setting really do

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 06:38:53 PM »
I might add this is a problem that has come since Mach3 not daying it's the software but I think being more flexible things that Mach2 assumed and were hard wired three requires you choose the setting.  I think that is O>E> operator error...........or lack of knowledge...........

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 06:39:20 PM »
The pulse one widens the pulse as some drives require slightly wider pulses to react properly. The Dir Prechange just gives a slight bit more warning to the drive that the dir is changing, again some drives require a wee bit more than others.
Hood

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 06:40:50 PM »
I understand, it's a timing issue and letting the drive have time to receive the information correctly.