Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:08:19 PM

Author Topic: Stragen events question  (Read 22792 times)

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
Re: Stragen events question
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 06:42:24 PM »
I really appreciate all your help............I have at least a plan of attack, I would have wandered around in that woods a long time trying to figure that out.........  It will be nice to find the problem.......even if it is the drive at least I know how to fix it.......

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 06:43:21 PM »
Yes thats about the strength of it :)
To be honest though I dont think that will be your problem as normally I think you would be pushed to notice that the Dir was slow in reacting and you are clearly seeing it move the wrong way for a bit. It will certainly do no harm in trying it but I suspect a bad breakout board output or a bad connection on your Dir signal.
Hood

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 06:46:04 PM »
I sm so much better off now at least knowing what to look for.............first I will check the connections that should be obvious fix if a problem..............next I can try the pulse.............. then last switch the drive from X to Z or Y to Z on my board they just plug in.......so switching is a pice of cake........

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 06:49:13 PM »
Hopefully its a bad connection as thats the cheapest and easiest fix. If it turns out to be a bad output on the breakout you may have a spare output you could use instead and that would save having to get another breakout board.
Hood

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 06:52:33 PM »
Yes this is a breakout board with four outputs only three drives so the A could become the Z ..  If a drive it's a new drive that is a bit expensive but not all that bad..........I think around $100.00........... mighht be a bit more at this point that is a cheap fix for me.........  At the rate I am loosing material I think I have bought a new drive...........*L*

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 06:55:47 PM »
good luck with your fault finding :)
Hood

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2010, 06:56:26 PM »
Thank you for all your help.................:)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2010, 07:11:19 PM »
Not a problem, just hope you get it fixed quickly and cheaply :)

Hood

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 05:39:37 PM »
Okay just got back in from the shop,  Set up a program to run.  First I checked all the wires on the Z axis found one suspicious so I fixed it made sure i was solid connection.  Started the program and right off Z moves up and up.  I stopped the program reset Z rewound to start over.  Started the program and all was well for about 15 min.  about 1/2 way through the program oh yes, I did set the dir and step pulse on the Z axis to 5 each.  Again the Z moved up two times then started to try and cut in the air.  At one point the Z went up three times then all at once down ....... 

Now to the question, I am using Gecko G201 drives three one for each axis, would a drive act like that or more likely the breakout board?  This board has embedded on it #D Routers he is The Guy I bought this from and of course he is out of Business today I cannot even get this board again not sure where it came from.

Logic tells me might be wrong here that is why the question, if the drive is bad you would think it would just go nuts and stay nuts.  This acts to me more like a chip on the board controlling data flow to the port or something maybe even a bad solider job on one of the pins.  I had one drive fail and I can tell you it just stopped working alltogether.  Nothing just stop and that is all she wrote.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »
I would say the breakout is the most likely after a bad connection in the wiring, as you have eliminated that it seems breakout is next on the list to check.
Hood