Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:13:17 PM

Author Topic: My CNC pressbrake build  (Read 52399 times)

My CNC pressbrake build
« on: November 24, 2009, 09:54:16 PM »
I have been planning this for a long time. I just have not had the time or money to start on the project. I have changed my mind on the design many times. I think I finally have it down the way I want. for the most part it is going to look like any other C-frame style brakes with a few improvements.

Specs:

48" wide
58 tons
6" inches of ram travel
2 axis servo backgage
Mach 3 control with a Dynomotion motion controller for the  control of the +-10V analog Parker Proportional valve.
5hp, 2.5GPM pump.

I will be building the entire thing including the cylinders. ( That's what I do for a living.)

I am going to start of with building the 2 cylinders first. The cylinder are 5" bore, 3" rod, and 6" stroke.

Pile of Parts

Rough machining of the base heads. I will finish machine them after I weld them to the barrel.

Pistons are next.

Checking the threads with a Go gauge.

Rod heads next.

Piston rods next

Weld prep on the barrel.

Re: My CNC pressbrake build
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 09:58:47 PM »
Beautiful parts, it will be great to see how the project comes along.  On your 6-jaw chuck, what do you call those pads on every other jaw that act at parallels?  That would be amazingly handy, I'm not sure how I've gotten by without that!!

Dustin
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 10:00:40 PM by PROTOPLANT »
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 10:06:49 PM »
Beautiful parts, it will be great to see how the project comes along.  On your 6-jaw chuck, what do you call those pads on every other jaw that act at parallels?  That would be amazingly handy, I'm not sure how I've gotten by without that!!

Dustin

It's a 4 jaw and there are 4 bars bolted on the chuck then the blocks bolted on them. I have many different length blocks for any kind of setup. The bars are tapped all along the length so you can move them up or down. We just call them chuck stops.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 10:38:05 PM »
That is great!!!!  I want one!!!  Can't wait to see it as you progress along.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 10:49:49 PM »
Seems your off to a great start.  :)  Very interesting project.  What gauge metal will you be able to bend at 48 inches long?  What radius will the bend be?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 11:00:04 PM »
Seems your off to a great start.  :)  Very interesting project.  What gauge metal will you be able to bend at 48 inches long?  What radius will the bend be?

Brett

It will bend 48" of 3/16" steel. Radius is dependent upon lower die v opening. V width is usually 8 times metal thickness. So for 3/16" you use a 1.5" die opening. I think it will give you around a .234 radius.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 07:10:27 AM »
That's going to be some machine looking at the quality of your work so far.
Can't wait for more photo's.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline KTM

•  92 92
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 01:18:18 PM »
Very interesting build.

Is it a down stroking machine? I have done them with PLC controls and it gets quite tricky to synchronize Y1 and Y2 in real time. It will also be interesting to see how you handle the tooling and program libraries in Mach.

Regards

KTM
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 12:10:10 AM »
Very interesting build.

Is it a down stroking machine? I have done them with PLC controls and it gets quite tricky to synchronize Y1 and Y2 in real time. It will also be interesting to see how you handle the tooling and program libraries in Mach.

Regards

KTM

Yes, down stroking machine. The upper die holder will be riding on Hiwin 35mm linear rails so don't need to worry about synchronization.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 09:04:31 PM »
I finally got some time after work tonight to work on the cylinders again. I got the ports welded on and the Id threaded. I also ordered 2650 pounds of steel for the frame. I should have it next week.