Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:45:57 AM

Author Topic: re: Whats happened to Mach.4 update  (Read 28548 times)

re: Whats happened to Mach.4 update
« on: October 11, 2009, 12:29:40 PM »
Hi Brian and Art
I have heard a lot about a mach 4 version with many of the bug's in Mach 3 fixed late last year around December a developer said he got a copy of it for beta testing recently he said there had been nothing further on it any info available is this as far as mach is going.

Rg's
Dennis
Re: re: Whats happened to Mach.4 update
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 02:29:56 PM »
Hi Brian and Art
I have heard a lot about a mach 4 version with many of the bug's in Mach 3 fixed late last year around December a developer said he got a copy of it for beta testing recently he said there had been nothing further on it any info available is this as far as mach is going.

Rg's
Dennis

Brian has been working very hard on v4 for many months.  It will be a VERY different animal from v3, with many, many VERY significant changes (all very much for the better!).

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 03:58:15 PM »
Hi Ray
Thanks for the reply been about 8-9 months not heard anything further about it i work with mach on a daily basis mill and lathe and the work around's are a pain especially the offsetting bug along with some others hopefully Brian will get it going soon.

Dennis

Offline PSG

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:37:34 PM »

I am looking forward to the release of Mach4. I am sure that it will have a huge variety of enhancements and improvements. The only thing that I can say that I will not like (I may be wrong) is the new licensing method where we must log in for "activation". I am bringing this up for a very specific reason. Many years ago I spent over $10k on a software package that did the same thing for activation. I voiced my concern about 24/7 activation and was assured that there would never be a problem. Due to bad electrical service and lightning we would periodically lose a drive and have to reload. Surge protectors were useless solutions. All was fine until there was a network outage, a server problem, and then the company went belly up. Needless to say, we could never get up and running like we were promised and ultimately we lost our investment.

If this is the direction that Mach goes, I will not follow. I understand the issue of piracy. If losses are in the 50% range, double the price or turn to a hardware dongle.

Just my half of a penny.

Offline Velly

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 07:36:29 AM »
I am looking also for a great Mach4 with real (working) TCP Modbus support!
Can't get TCP Modbus to work with the PLC (tests are OK, brains execution fail)
4 years ago we spent over $3k on CamSoft licences and "support" - the machine is still not running properly, because of Galil DMC ETH controller communication problems.
I do hope to invest in a solid CNC software this fall, let it be Mach4 ;-)
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 11:00:28 AM »
PSG and Velly
 I to have several cadcam softwares on the shelf useless as the companies have gone under or been bought by another company and no longer support the product they would happly sell me the new product for many $ i pay the money i should get what i was promised a working bug free product that cuts what i want to cut not all this work around and filter it through this software and that one and in the end it still dose not cut what i need or want I hoped that Mach would be the answer i still hope so but like you guy's my confidence is shaken.

Dennis

Offline PSG

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 02:49:38 PM »
Dennis,

I have the utmost confidence in Mach and their software. What I have little confidence in is the ever so increasing protection schemes, all in the name of piracy protection. I have no issue with piracy protection but unless I can get a personal phone number for a human being to answer at 3 am or on New Year's eve, I will not subscribe or succumb to "online activation", rolling codes, etc. I would rather pay double the current cost or use a dongle than fangled (no pun intended :) ) activation schemes. Mach, Art, Brian, and of course all of their non-published associates, have proven the worth and value of the software so making up for any losses should not be impossible.

Of course, this is IF that is the path that is being taken. I tried looking for where I read that info and could not find it, so please, unless there is written confirmation from Brian to not put much stock into my comments other than the reasons why I would like to see that happen.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 06:50:55 PM »
PSG
 I have used a dongle on a Cadcam software same problem company goes under and the dongle no longer works or is supported in addition one company i used, you had to have a piece of software to run it with so a hard drive failure would take you down.No i think you should get your lic# pay the price if you agree to it and if your hard drive goes down you reinstall the software and off you go. But along with this you should get what you weer promised especially if you did not haggle with their asking price at the time.

Dennis

Hi, Dennis, Hears the screen set for mill, Chip.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:42:16 PM by Chip »
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 09:47:50 PM »
Hello all.. Just looking over this thread quickly and I can tell you that the license for the Rev 4 code will not be much different.. the only thing that will be added is the need to go to the web to get a registration number for the computer. This can be done with a remote computer and a pad of paper.. so if you have internet on your phone you can register your machine :) . This is only to protect a license from getting out and people trying to copy it over and over.. we are going to allow many copies of the same license for the home users. As you all know we are here for you the users not for the people that like to use stolen license files and ask us for support.. So in the end this will give registered users MORE support not less ;)

Also the new Rev 4 code (I had to start over because multi threaded Open GL burned me). has just got the new Gcode interpreter added in with the new cutter comp and better mm/ inch support! So I am making headway! This was all put into a multi threaded version of mach3 that has the GUI on the top level and the motion control on the lower level. This has allowed the user to "play" with the toolpath as the part is cutting with no ill effect to the pulse outputs.  I have some testing that I need to do but I am thinking as soon as I am done with my testing that I will put this rev out for you to all test :) I would love to know what you all think about the new Gcodes that are like the ones in Smid's book..

Well that is all I have for an update at this time

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline PSG

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 11:50:40 PM »
Brian,

For "me" Mach3 works great, but I do no programming as it all comes out of the CAM. I do know, and have known that Mach is much much more capable than what I usually come across. One of these days I will get a better grasp on macros and brains :) I know that many are looking for improvements that they deem necessary for what they do (and they will hate me for saying this :) ) but I am in no rush. I am more interested in stable and working and can use what I have now.

About the licensing. My only issue is that I do not want to be in a situation that I cannot get up and running. Thankfully (at least my machine) is a dedicated standalone and not connected to the internet or even used for anything other than the Mach controller. This lessens the possibility of problems like my workstation that gets easily screwed up with MS updates and often requires complete wiping and reinstalling. This happened to me in the past and though not as likely with Mach it is not something I ever want to endure again. The safest and probably best way is one machine and one hardware dongle. Till that day comes, I am not going to worry about it.

Now that you are talking about new G-codes I guess I have something to worry about :) Which book do I need for study material ???

Oh hell, while I am at it.....will Mach ever allow the use of tool numbers greater than 255 ? It has to do with my unorthodox numbering scheme :)