Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:30:05 AM

Author Topic: re: Whats happened to Mach.4 update  (Read 28546 times)

Re: re: Whats happened to Mach.4 update
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2009, 06:53:07 PM »
It will be better then 24-7 .. It will be a webpage that YOU go to  :) So you will have it as soon as you go to the webpage... I am doing my best to make it simple for you all to use..

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2009, 01:58:14 PM »
I think Brian is on the right track wrt the software protection scheme.  Most dongles are eventually defeated.  Adding dongle protection just makes you a target for those who see it as a challenge.

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act specifically exempts dongles, making it perfectly legal to develop and distribute dongle emulators.  The problem is that illegal copies of legitimately enabled emulators get circulated. 

Online activation isn't bulletproof but it works somewhat better than dongle protection, particularly with an application like Mach.  The target for cracking is only one application as opposed to multiple applications using the same dongle.  Insignificant targets aren't worth cracking.

Offline PSG

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 11:44:22 AM »
Brian - As I said, I am not going to worry about it (activation scheme) until the time comes, so please do not think that I am harping on you as I further explain my position to the others.

First of all, ALL protection can be defeated/cracked. Microsoft uses the same scheme and they are often cracked. It is true that dongles can be emulated but the cost to emulate a dongle is about $200. Even what has been somewhat proposed for Mach is flawed.

My issues with "rolling" serials and online activation scheme come from past experience. In one case I was actually burned for tens of thousands of dollars because of this very same protection. Fortunately, machines that run run Mach controllers do not suffer the usual problems and failures that workstations can. Unfortunately, some failures can and do occur. If a component or pc needs to be replaced then new codes are going to be required or someone is dead in the water. I have personally experienced Microsoft saying "please call us back". Now if Bill Gates and his resources cannot prevent that from happening, would it be fair to expect Brian to be able to? I don't think so. In my opinion, a dongle can offer better protection. Although dongles like anything else can also fail, that rate is far lower than any other protection scheme.

There are other things that Brian can do to increase profitability for the amount of time involved in writing and supporting Mach. For starters, regardless of what anybody says, they could easily charge $100 to $150 more per license and I think that people would pay it. There is nothing else even comparable in that range (unless you want EMC and it is still not the same or everybody would using it anyway). Brian could also stop the "free upgrades". Offering updates within a 12 month period is one thing but free upgrades for life is something that other successful software companies do not do. How can anybody expect forward development without a company charging for upgrades. The list goes on and there is no reason why Brain should be expected to work on Mach for free.

Should we have to endure the new web-based and coded serial I would at least hope that an activation period with an ample "timeout"also be implemented. This would at least remove some of my anxiety. I would also like to know that there is a "backdoor plan" should future development cease. In other words, heaven forbid that something catastrophic happens and Brain no longer wishes/wants/can sustain Artsoft then (revealed only at that time) there will be a way for all of us to continue to use Mach.

All of this is moot until (if) that day actually comes!

Brian - Still looking forward to the new release!

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 01:32:34 PM »
Hello,
I will keep talking to you about this, No problem . The plan is to give you like 3-5 machines that you can setup day one and every year give you one back so you can have a computer failure every year with no trouble . Also if you need to have more licenses all you need to do is tell us via Email explaining why you need more. Note that a license is only good for more then one machine IF you are doing it as a hobby (You are not selling the parts that you are making). As soon as you start selling the parts that you are making we feel that it is only fare for you to pay for the software that is making it work  to make money :).

So as you can see it is very loose and nithing like microsoft.. We will give away license files freely to the hobby users. The reason for needing to go to a webpage is so we can see if there is an abuse of the license. Also if you get a machine and you didn't register you know that you have stolen software.. So it is for us and you..

Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 04:49:43 PM »
What about people like me who bought from a reseller in the UK, as far as I can see I have a general licence issued by the reseller.

Steve

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 05:05:25 PM »
What about people like me who bought from a reseller in the UK, as far as I can see I have a general licence issued by the reseller.

Steve

What is the licenced name?

Hood
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 05:16:56 PM »
You should have a serialized license.. That is how some of the OEM's get there license.. If your license is just ABC Automation and there are no numbers.. that could be bad.. NO ONE has a license that they can just give out.. (this is what we are trying to stop)

Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 05:52:04 PM »
When the subject of piracy was being discussed several years ago I asked Art why he hadn't considered putting some of the code in hardware.  Art said he was looking into it but apparently the idea was discarded.

Centroid, Power Automation, and other commercial Windows-based CNC systems use this method successfully.  The majority of Mach systems already employ some type of interface board.  It wouldn't be that costly to add memory and some type of processor.  Done correctly, this type of code protection is very difficult to crack.

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 08:06:20 PM »
Brian

is mach4.0 going to be a lockdown release. el perfectomundo ,no bugfix 4.01 4.02 etc..etc.. with the only updating done with plugins.

thanks bill

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 09:46:21 PM »
Mach3 Rev4.0.1 is going to be a devlopment version.. when it is ready fo rthe light of day ..

www.machsupport.com