Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 02:26:10 AM

Author Topic: shuttle mode, step/velocity and single step  (Read 19482 times)

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
shuttle mode, step/velocity and single step
« on: June 27, 2009, 03:15:11 PM »
Forum members,

Finally installed and tested one MPG. Works super! Tommorrow I will place the second one.
Some questions in the shuttle window:
1  In single step mode, if I turn the mpg, not every click is one step, although the pause between the clicks is long enough.
   This is strange because in multi step mode every click is absolutely one step.
2  The step/velocity mode has a DRO next to it. I can not find any difference in changing its values, so what do they do? And also, if the turning speed of the MPG is slow enough, and you enter the stepmode from the step/velocity mode, the steps are all different in size.

I'm still cutting air, but cannot wait trying it for real,, must be much more fun compared with the old cnc program, which had none of these possibility's.

gr jaja

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: shuttle mode, step/velocity and single step
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 03:36:20 PM »
Your issue with the step mode not working on every click could be due to your resolution, for example if you had 500 steps per mm in your motor tuning that would be a resolution of 1/500 = 0.002mm. Now if you had the step increment set at 0.001mm then one click would have to move 0.002mm so Mach would not move it but the next clcik would mean you have asked in total for 0.02mm moves so Mach can then move as that is your minimum resolution.

Step/Velocity I dont think works and has never really worked from what I remember but Art would be the one to say for sure.

I only ever use Velocity mode and Multi Step mode and I never change the step increment, it is always set to 0.01mm, but you may find you prefer things differently.
Hood

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 03:55:19 AM »
Hood,

Thanks again for your answer, (I hoped your reaction should come quickly, and it did)
The size of the step was 1,000. The MPG has 25 clicks per revolution. So I think that every click should be one step (in single step mode).
It is also typical that it is not regular. It can make 9 or 10 clicks and move every click, and then suddenly it can make 3, 5 or even 7 clicks without moving.

But your suggestion in putting it in Multi Step mode 0.01mm and in Velocity mode, is probably the best for me too. I really don't know yet, as I have never used the program in real.
Today some more test and build up will be done.
Thanks, and I'll let you know
gr jaja

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 04:46:54 AM »
If the size of the step was 1.00 then it should move every step, just wondering if you have done the MPG calibration? Not sure if that would help or not.
It sounds more like the steps are not being seen by Mach for some reason, maybe a high debounce ?
Hood

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 05:57:12 AM »
Again,, thank you Hood,

This debounce is a very good idea, going to try it directly.
Perhaps it can also shorten the time between turning the MPG and the moves of the motor, since the optical encoders have no hysterese at all, so no debounce time is needed, I think.

I have done the calibration several times to figure out which turning speed of the MPG was comfortable, so this is not the fault I suppose.
One detent (click) of the MPG in the calibration screen gives a calculated number of 4. So mach sees the 4 sides (flanks?) of the signal, which should be correct.
Don't know how the relation between this calibration and the: "count/unit" on the  Port and Pins configuration screen, Encoder/MPG's is.
Going to check it right now

gr jaja

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 07:37:51 AM »
The time between the MPG turning and motor moving should be almost instantaneous. Accel can affect it in that if your accell/decel is etremely slow then it may look like it is not starting right away but it would be more noticeable when stopping as the axis would decel to a stop and still be moving after you had stopped turning the MPG.
Hood

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 03:09:58 PM »
Hood,
Thanks to you, things are working good right now (but I'm still only cutting air).
At this moment I'm trying to connect some hotkey's to some buttons on the screen. It would be much more convenient.
Have read a lot on the forum, and I have also read the answer to the next question, but I still cannot find it.

I think I need screen 4 to make/connect the hotkeys, and screen 4 should be in the root of mach3 on my computer or otherwise it could be downloaded from the download page.
But I cannot find it overthere. Is it called screen 4?
Is it on: downloads>screensets ???
gr jaja

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 03:13:22 PM »
its on the programme  downloads page near the bottom
http://www.machsupport.com/downloads.php

Hood

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 03:26:21 PM »
Thanks Hood,
Going to try it right away.

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 03:47:10 PM »
Hood,
The mach screen 4 is fantastic! I have been experimenting with it the whole week.
But now another question appearred.
The "Part Coords." button, what is his function?
No matter what I do,,, it always has the same values as the Program Coords.