Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:49:39 AM

Author Topic: shuttle mode, step/velocity and single step  (Read 19488 times)

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
Re: shuttle mode, step/velocity and single step
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
Hood,
1    suppose you want to make this item

I would give the jog cycle Doro a value which would correspond with the stairs on the z- axis, turn the z axis MPG one click, hit the "go to Zs" button (OEM code 1017) and then change the value of the jog cycle to 1 mm, turn the Axis MPG one click, change the step value to the previous value, turn the Axis MPG again, hit the "go to Zs" button and so on.
But reading your answer,,, I suppose there is a faster way of doing this.
Ike, one could use the wizards, but I'm curious how you would do a job like this
The problem with the way I described above, is that when you forget to change the jogcycle value, before turning the Axis, you would pound your tool into the stock!

2   I'm going to try the shuttel mode,,, thanks for your explanation

gr jaja

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 09:25:06 AM »
without misspelling (i hope)

Hood,
1    suppose you want to make this item

I would give the jogcycle DRO a value which would correspond with the stairs on the z-axis, turn the z-axis MPG one click, tool does its move, hit the "go to Zs" button (OEM code 1017,, return to x= 0 and y = 0) and then change the value of the jogcycle to 1 mm, turn the x-axis MPG one click, change the jogcycle value to the previous value, turn the z-axis MPG again, hit the "go to Zs" button and so on.
But reading your answer,,, I suppose there is a faster way of doing this.
I know, one could use the wizards, but I'm curious how you would do a job like this
The problem with the way I described above, is that when you forget to change the jogcycle value, before turning the Axis, you would pound your tool into the stock!

2   I'm going to try the shuttle mode,,, thanks for your explanation

gr jaja

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 06:07:54 PM »
What is the difference between feedhold en dwell?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 02:46:02 AM »
Dwell is a pause of a set time eg G4 P2 will stop for 2 seconds, or you may have a dwell set to allow your spindle get up to speed.
Feedhold is when you stop the code in a controlled manner and it wont resume again until you tell it to by pressing Start.
Hood

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 03:29:33 AM »
Completely clear Hood, thanks again.
 gr jaja

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 04:59:32 PM »
Hood,
Did a lot of lathe work to get some experience, to get used to the machine and to make some things i never could make before I had a lathe.
Did a lot with the MPG's to be able to control things by  hand.
Here is the question:
If you work with the arrow keys on your keyboard, you can use "continuous jog, and with the "slow jog %" you can determine how fast your tool moves.
Is something like this also possible when your working with the MPG's??

gr jaja

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 05:17:28 PM »
Dont think so, I never use the keyboard on my machines and very rarely use the MPG for actual cutting but think its only possible to have the MPG in velocity, multi step or step mode. In Step you can I think set the speed but thats not really any use, maybe it also works in multi step mode though, so that could possibly work.
Hood

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 05:36:37 PM »
Thanks Hood,
So I suppose you always use a wizard or a program to do your turning?

If I set the speed when I use the MPG's, there is always the danger of making to many steps.
I turn the MPG one click to much, and the tool doesn't stop on right place,,,, argh.

gr jaja

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 06:25:23 PM »
JAJA,
I have used my MPG's to do some cutting on the lathe. The stuff i was doing was small, and additionaly i was
looking throught a microcsope when doing the work. I mainly use my MPG's for positioning, and they are "calibrated for movement"  based the feel of turning the MPG wheel. Turn them fast and the axis moves quickly , just barely turn them and i can move at a crawl in very fine increments.
RICH

Offline jaja

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 04:28:27 PM »
Interesting Rich,
Calibrated for movement,,, in what mode have you putted them?
1 velocity only
2 step/ velocity
3 single step
4 multi step
I think it must be velocity only,,, but then the smallest step you make is not so small at all
Step/velocity is confusing for me, no matter what value of the DRO next to it is, it does not make any difference (perhaps I make mistakes).

And the other lathe work you make, is it mostly done with a program???

gr jaja