Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:03:45 PM

Author Topic: Success! Mini Machining Center under Mach3 control - Video link  (Read 377062 times)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: Success! Mini Machining Center under Mach3 control - Video link
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 06:13:06 AM »
Viper servo drive is on order. Should allow me to use the full power and speed of the servo motor with the 1,800 line encoder.

Design is finalized after about 3 iterations. Here are the first final parts: the motor mount and the belt tensioner.

With the Viper and permanent motor mounting and belt drive, I'll stop and do some more testing and post another video.

Then it will be on to making the permanent spindle head.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 07:30:54 AM »
That is very cool!  And just think how much money you can save by making all your own bolts from now on!  :-)

Regards,
Ray L.

This is one of the parts I had in mind to make when I was messig with code to make the 'bolt' . The latest iteration of the 4th axis made these with a single program and one setup, including tapered NPT threads, hex flats, the thru hole and cutoff. It's coming along . . . .

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 07:43:10 AM »
Hi, Simpson36
Very Nice job you've done, Show us more if you get time.
Chip

OK, I'll be making another video soon. Very cool as you can clearly see the swap-axis and re-homing functions as it makes the part in the previous post. For now, here is the final drive mechanism. This will be moved over to the new head once I have that built:

Poor thing after many hours of abuse:

This is still one of the last temporary 'get-er-done' quickie that needs a final design:

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 07:47:22 AM »
For those who asked, I will also be posting the swap axis macro and mayby some others.

After seeing Ray L.'s beautiful macros, I'm just too embarrassed to publish my sloppy code until I get it spruced up a bit . . . :-[

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 10:47:48 AM »
For those who asked, I will also be posting the swap axis macro and mayby some others.

After seeing Ray L.'s beautiful macros, I'm just too embarrassed to publish my sloppy code until I get it spruced up a bit . . . :-[

Hi simpson36,
  When you post your "improved" code, would you also include the original that worked for you before "cleanup"?   
It would be interesting to see what works without being "elegant".    Don't be embarrassed....  I'd just view the process as a "development".     ;)

Great details in the photos.  Nice setup!
Thanks,
Bloy
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 11:34:59 AM by Bloy »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 12:07:32 PM »
Simpson, RayL is a software writer to trade, I think, so  you should feel no embarrassment :)

Hood

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: Success! Mini Machining Center under Mach3 control - NEW Video link
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 08:10:30 AM »
Here is it . . . will be avail in HD after YouTube is finished processing, but is viewable now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzY-OqckqpI

Special thanks to Hood for the re-homing info.  Also Vmax, RayL, Machinemaster, and others . . .  

BTW, lots of light cuts this go round. I will have a lot more power once I get the Viper drive (delayed waiting on parts  :()  With the 1800 line encoder, the Gecko faults with a normal cut.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:18:17 AM by simpson36 »

vmax549

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 10:08:44 AM »
Simpson great job. (;-)

One last note. THere is room in the housing to install oil seals. Then you fill the shaft area with 90 weight gear lube through the port on top (lockdown screw) It will run a very long time without wearing out. I use a simalar setup on  special grinder application where the indexer has to rotate at 60 rpm continuously while grinding.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 10:25:51 AM »
Simpson,
 would be good to see you add the vids added to the Mach youtube site :)
Hood

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 02:54:48 PM »
Vmax, I recall you mentioning that before. I have installed needle roller thrust bearings on each end, those are neccessary for operating as a spindle and they actually peeked out past the surface in one spot . You can see the oil leaking out at that spot in one of the photos. If not for cutting the ends for the thrust washers, I could do as you suggest.

A new servo drive (Viper) and a little more voltage should get the 4th axis to a max of 2,500 RPM with a 2:1 ratio. Sustaining that speed for hours on end would cause trouble with the setup you are suggesting. At a minimum, it would consume a lot of power and I don't have so much I can give it away to a plain bearing or to a non bearing thrust. Used as an indexer or at low speeds, I agree with your assessment.

A full ball bearing head with sealed bearings is the way to go for a reliable zero play spindle on a budget, methinks. I'm going to 'ghetto' it a little with just some quality SKF 'Precision Plus' bearings and not angular thrust or high precision. No point with the current machine that flexes all over the place anyway . . .  :-\

Hood, how do I post something specifically to a Mach3 group on Youtube? I have Mach3 as a keyword, but that's all I know to do. Not a big 'tuber. Still dinking around trying to get the best HD quality too.