Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:30:30 PM

Author Topic: Success! Mini Machining Center under Mach3 control - Video link  (Read 375856 times)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: Success! Mini Machining Center under Mach3 control - Video link
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2009, 07:04:17 PM »

That plan is Outrageous! Despicable!  Sneaky and Underhanded!

. . . . I like it . .  :D

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2009, 07:14:55 PM »
You better just hope she doesnt read these pages ;D

Just wish I had the room for a real mill (big bedmill)l but they are all too tall for my workshop :(

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2009, 08:25:30 PM »
new dining room = new machine, matching chairs= cnc conversion, vase with flowers=drive
you sitting in dog house eating...........priceless    ;)

RICH

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2009, 09:26:24 AM »
Project re-opened  . . . .  two new wrinkles for those following along;

I have avoided testing the 4th axis with a heavy lathe chuck holding a heavy workpiece because of concern over BEMF smoking the Rutex drive during a fast decel from 3,000RPM motor speed.

Two possible solutions have surfaced:

1) I have figured out how to change the axis accelerating parameters with a macro. This will be much better than trying to program a velocity step down in G-code (my previous solution). I'll be experimenting with that in coming weeks.

2) A new servo drive from CNCdrives that has an automatic brake resistor feature that monitors voltage and dumps excess automatically to a power resistor. This is nothing new, but it is new at a $170 price point. This new drive was shipped to me yesterday along with the same company's mid range drive. Anyone interested can watch the review as these drives are next up.

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2009, 10:31:06 AM »
Thanks!   ....I'll be watching...

Bloy
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2009, 12:35:23 PM »
Duno what is cooler, the machine or having a wife that is so enthusiastic about the machine !!!!!

Mine just says, "so what"  :(

Derek

You can "chop it off" but can't "chop it on"

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2009, 09:59:06 AM »
OK folks, I got the Dugong drive and ran the 4th axis up to full speed with a 4" chuck and a hunk of cast iron in the chuck. I also changed from 3:1 to 2:1 ratio for the first time  . . zoom! Max accell/decell it would handle. Shaking my whole workbench!  I'd call it a success. The thing is scary . .LOL!
I'll make another video when I get a chance.

There is a lot of interest in 4th axis and I am considering making a limited production run of these machines, possibly for the European market, where most of the interest comes from. I am in the process of redesigning for production. The drive belt mechanism works fine, but is too complicated (read expensive) for the target market. Conventional trapezoid tooth profiles are also too noisy at full speed. I'll be going with the newer GT2 belt system and no idler. I'll be looking for a vendor to produce the spindles, preferably in Europe, so anyone interested in that can send me a PM.

The current iteration was intended as final so it is nicely finished and has the index photosensor on it and is ready for prime time. The only part used from an off-the-shelf indexer is the spindle and I already bought a Phase2 indexer quite a while back when they were on sale, so I have another spindle. I have to make everything else over again except the frame, so before I take the current 4th axis apart and trash all of the pieces, I thought I'd offer it up for sale if anyone is interested. I'd take a reasonable offer and just start over from scratch. It seems shame to waste a working prototype. Better someone using it than just having huge custom made timing gears and belts sitting on a shelf.

In any case, keep watching for more refinements and higher speeds. My new drive design is finished and I ordered the new belts, pulleys and aluminum stock today. If I have time, I'll design and build a prototype spindle; longer and with a threaded nose to accept a conventional chuck, but with my schedule that is unlikely this time around.  

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2009, 02:08:59 PM »
...been wondering what you've been up to!!   
...patiently waiting for the video.... ;D

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2009, 04:51:02 PM »
Current prototype is sold, so I will be fabricating a new 4th axis from scratch, this time with manufacturing considerations as a requisite.

Any suggestions for useful features are welcome at this point. For a production version, a belt guard will be incorporated into the design.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2009, 07:50:38 AM »
UPDATE: started new prototype. Again not doing anything exotic so anyone wanting to follow along should be able to duplicate these results and build yourself a nice addition to your mill. Material is 1" thick 6061 plate. Motor plate was planned as 3/8" thick. but is 1/2" due to 'scrap on hand' material sourcing.  :-[

This is the new frame  . . essentially the same as the first proto, just bigger to allow for larger chuck or workpiece. Also better fit to larger table on my planned next mill. What is very different is the motor mount. Expensive idler is gone and belt tension is now accomplished by rotating the entire mount. The big hole in the mount is not necessary. I put that in to ease belt and pulley changing if I want to experiment with different ratios. Currently 2.5:1 which is a compromise from previous 4th axis which had both 2:1 and 3:1 ratios.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 08:09:11 AM by simpson36 »