Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:52:58 PM

Author Topic: Miser engine  (Read 30414 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Miser engine
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2009, 12:03:25 AM »
Gees Vince,
At the rate your going, you'll be ready for a smaller version of the miser.
Hope you don't get much time off work as this stuff can become addictive.
I was just laid off twice in three and half days! Same employer! Same manager!
Beat that and I'll send ya a smiley in the next post!
RICH

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2009, 04:47:41 PM »
Today was my first day of official unemployment.  The company I worked for did not sell so they shut the doors.  I signed up at the union hall today and there were 300 others ahead of me on the list.  We have been getting about one job call a day.  Things should pick up in a couple of months.  I still have a few calls to make to see if I can rustle up something. 

I made the graphite piston today.  It machines very easy and I did not break it.  It took me about 2 hours to get the fit between the piston and cylinder just right.  The clearance is supposed to be .0003".  There is an aluminum insert that goes into the piston that attaches to the connecting rod.  The hole in the bottom of the piston is for the screw to attached the insert.  I have two more parts to make which shouldn't take too long.  Then it's put it together and work out the bugs.  I promised my wife I would work on her car tomorrow and that will take most of the day.  I have to replace the front crank seal.

Vince

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2009, 06:59:01 PM »
pfffftttt.....That seal can wait. If you replace the seal, then you'll hafta start changing the oil every 10,000 miles or something like that. Right now, all ya gotta do is add a lil bit of fresh oil every so often. Women....they just don't understand mechanical stuff.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2009, 01:48:42 PM »
Well, I screwed up the crank seal replacement, or at least the timing belt replacement (the timing belt had to come off to get to the crank seal).  I'm just a little off because the car won't start.  I gave up about 5 last night and will work on it some more today.

I needed something positive to work on so I finished the last two parts of the miser engine, then spent until 11:00PM last night putting it together.  I had several spots where is was binding that needed to be cleaned up.  This morning I attached the displacer disc.  I still have a lot of friction I need to trace down.  I may need to make a part from graphite instead of Delrin.  It will not run on the heat of my hand, but it will run on a hot cup of coffee.  See the video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdBYzzhe_To

I'm thinking if I let it run for a while on a heat source it may loosen up a bit.

Vince

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2009, 03:00:36 PM »
Brilliant Vince.  :)
I think that letting it run a while will free everything up OK.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2009, 03:23:46 PM »
Very good vince.  :)

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2009, 05:15:05 PM »
Vince,

your doing a super job on the Miser,

Now , your wife's car . DON'T TURN THE CRANK OVER  with the belt off, you'll bend some valves.   >:(
This is very critical on overhead cam motors.

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2009, 03:56:08 PM »
If all goes well I should start a new job on Tuesday.  On our union dispatch books, there is a 6 month wait for a job.  Luckily I have "special skills" and will be able to be dispatched directly to a job that needs them.  I'm glad to be working again, but just as glad I was able to spend so much time on my Miser engine.

Vince

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2009, 08:29:57 PM »
Good for you and wish you luck Vince. We are not ready to retire but there is
no harm in trying it out.   ;)
RICH

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty