Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 05:00:41 PM

Author Topic: Miser engine  (Read 30590 times)

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
Miser engine
« on: February 23, 2009, 02:46:03 PM »
I have been posting in another section that was not quite the right topic so I am picking it up here.  I have been working on a Miser Stirling engine.  Most of the hard to make steel parts are done.  Today I made a connecting rod end.  I made everything on my converted Hardinge CHNC and converted Yamazen mill except for drilling the connecting rod end.  It required a .020" drill for an oil hole.  I did not have anything on my CHNC small enough to hold the rod end or the drill.  I moved it to my watch lathe.  The .020" drill is still 5 sizes larger than my smallest collet, which is .010".
(the picture of the finished miser is just to show what it will look like, I have a ways to go).

Vince
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:44:55 PM by N4NV »
Re: Miser engine
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 04:30:23 PM »
Very nice Vince !
Thanks for posting,
RC

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 07:01:23 PM »
That is just plain neat Vince. Looks good.  :)

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:29:15 PM »
Super job there Vince.
When do you find the time ?

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 08:43:50 PM »
Super job there Vince.
When do you find the time ?

Ed

Unfortunately, I am on a reduced work week, I'm down to 1 day a week.  The company I work for is up for sale.  If is sells, I should get back to full time, if not, I start looking for work.  I should know in a couple of weeks.  (I sold over $1,000 worth of stuff from my garage on eBay in the last month to pay for my projects).  I am trying to make one part a day.  I am also trying to work on my lathe and mill.  I need to add the smooth stepper to my lathe and I am going to change the BOB and speed control on my mill (I ordered all that stuff before the work slow down).  Then I have to move my MPG to a modbus board so I can get some more inputs for my probe.  It never seems to end, but since it's my hoby, I don't know what I would do if it did end.  I just ordered a bunch of parts to convert my watch lathe to CNC.  That would make 3 CNC lathes and 2 CNC mills at my house.  I guess you just can't have too many.

Vince

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 12:27:59 AM »
Vince,

sounds like you got enough equipment to start your own shop. Do you have a Yamazen mill also?
 How did you make out with the cribbage board?

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 08:36:25 AM »
Vince,

sounds like you got enough equipment to start your own shop. Do you have a Yamazen mill also?
 How did you make out with the cribbage board?

Ed

Yes, I have a Yamazen.  I wrote up the conversion here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31601

I am still working on the G-code for the board.  I was trying to use LazyCam to generate the code.  I spent a couple of days hitting my head against the wall because LazyCam would not put any of the holes in a decent order.  I found out I had an older version.  When I downloaded the newer version it worked.  I may look into finding someone around here with a router table that is 4x4 to do all the drilling.  I think I could do it on my Yamazen, but it would take at least two set ups and I would have to take the enclosure off that I installed to keep the coolant neater.

Vince

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 07:04:38 PM »
I finished the rough draft of the G-code for the cribbage board.  I used the default feed rates for my mill and the cycle time for the entire board would be 3 hours.  There are 1434 lines of code.  If I were to use a router table I'm sure the time could be cut to under an hour.

Vince
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 08:33:04 PM »
Vince,

Did you check out my Yamazen enclosure in my photobucket links.
The doors and the end panels are removable. No tools required.  :D
Is your Yamazen running on Mach?

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 09:25:56 PM »
Vince,

Did you check out my Yamazen enclosure in my photobucket links.
The doors and the end panels are removable. No tools required.  :D
Is your Yamazen running on Mach?

Ed

I guess you didn't see the link above.  Yes, it is running on Mach.  I kept the Servo Dynamics drives and fed them with Pixie cards.  I now can get 450 IPM rapids.  With the original AB control system I was limited to 100 IPM. 

I thought about building an enclosure like you have, but I could not figure out how to seal the bottom and still have the knee move up and down.  I am changing from a water soluble coolant to an oil based one because of rusting so I think I will have to close it up even better than it is now.  Do you have any pictures of the bottom of your enclosure?  It looks like you installed a separate support structure for it.

Vince