Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 01:32:30 PM

Author Topic: Pocketing not working  (Read 25169 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Pocketing not working
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2008, 09:06:14 PM »
Sage,
Only logic used on my end was to use a cutter that was half or less than the radius of the curve.
I just kind of remember that ( which probably is not relevent). I figure if you can
get profiles  using some parameters in the tools, then you should be able to work your way up or down
and see where it faults. Don't remember how you change the lead in or direction but it's different than the
other profiles.  Now this may sound stupid, but simplify the drawing ie; just take the profile that is not working
by itself and see if it will work, or change the order of all the profiles, or variations on the theme, no logic here
just hacking away in the dark.
Play with it as i really have no magic on my end.

RC,
 Where you going, I thought you like a challenge.

RICH
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2008, 09:41:23 PM »
Not going anywhere RICH,......just laying low until some of this makes enough sense to take seriously. Seriously. :)
I do like a challenge....but one that presents at least a REMOTE chance of being overcome.
This is more than challenging...I think it is impossible the way it is now.
Those thousand or so trouble free users would probably be laughing their asses of at us if they were following this board. :D
As long as there are more happy than sad.....this may be as good as it gets.
BTW, there IS a manual for LC. The Govt. has it stored away in the "X-Files".
And to top it off, the batteries are dead in my magic wand.
RC 8)

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2008, 12:00:12 AM »
Sage

post a fresh dxf of your drawing.or your latest version of what you want to cut out.also what tool you would like to use and the feed and speed for it plus final depth.a description of the stock you will use.
i will be using lcam 300.2 to sort it with. i allready looked at some of your other drawings,but post your latest and greatest.

bill

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2008, 12:19:11 AM »
Hi, Guy's

I've posted hundred's of post's and still use it, LazyCam hasn't been worked on for over 1 1/2 year's.

Hopping that now that changes in Mach3 has slowed down some that some work will be done on it.

So as work on LazyTurn progresses and the plan is to integrate it into LazyCam, At some point fixes-es may Happen.

Thanks, Chip

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2008, 09:08:46 AM »
docltf:
I don't have anything newer than the code in message 25 but I've attached it again here anyway.
I don't expect (or want) someone to write new code for this. It was just another example of LousyCam going wrong (apparently) and also an exercise to figure out a work around. Having said that I need to get a piece someting like this one done sometime soon. I'll mess with it some more to see if I can gather any clues.
 I can see your plan of attack varying some of the parameters to see what happens. I use that method myself - it's a good one. I didn't mean to be critical. Just pointing out that sometime trial and error parameters and reality don't jive.

Material Aluminum. Thickness of part is 1/2" for outer profile.  I'll probbaly modify the drawing to add an offset to mill outer profile as well.
The rectangular and corner pockets are 0.15" deep.
Cutter - whatever willl accommodate the .093 radius - (3/16dia). I set 1/16 in LazyCam. Maybe I should have tried 3/16.
Speed and feed to suit the cutter and a mill/drill machine.

Sage
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:22:12 AM by Sage »

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2008, 09:29:18 AM »
Ok. Lets call it CrazyCam. I got it to work.  ;D
Just after I posted above a light went on. Why was I using a 1/16 cutter when the maximum possible is 3/16 for the .093 radius corners?  ???

Drawing from docltf's process:

I tried a 3/16 cutter and voila the corners pocketed. Yet they still won't pocket with a smaller 1/16 cutter. That's just plain weird  ???

So what kind of work around "rule" do you derive from this. Try every possible cutter?

Too wierd for me  ::)

But I guess I  can't complain, the solution was found - again.

Please try it yourselves with the file posted in my last message (above) and see if it was some fluke that it worked this time.

(crossing my fingers)

Sage
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:34:31 AM by Sage »
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2008, 10:33:41 AM »
Way to go Sage......you are to be commended. ;)
.17  NO GOOD
.18  NO GOOD
.1875   GOOD
Weird.
I may have a similar profile with a 6" radius in the corners.
Anybody got a 12" endmill that I can borrow ? ::)
RC :)
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2008, 10:50:32 AM »
I remember now a trick from Chip.
Scale the dwg up, LCam it, then scale it back.
It works here. Can use any tool then.
Have to check Chip's posts for the details.
RC :)

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »
Sage

attached is a lcam file for you to work with.the pocket paths are for .0625 tool. i used lcam ver 300.2 and ten minutes,connection setting for your drawing .001. the process went in this order.
1 import drawing
2 turn leds off
3 clean
4 optimise
5 made sure each chain that is to be pocketed will do a inside offset with a .0625 tool
6 the chains that would not offset inside properly or looked wrong were corrected with this process.
   do a outside offset,delete the original,then create a new inside chain .then see if the new chain will pocket.

i also posted a pic of the left corner,did you want that junction to be that tight.the other corner has a radious at that junction. lcam is real touchy with trashy drawings and small arcs.but you can work with it.

bill

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2008, 03:40:44 PM »
I'm going to have to absorb and try what you just told me, but this is just way too much to have to do.
That one corner should have been filleted like the others. I guess I missed it.

Curious to find out if that one corner was the cause of all the grief. Is the same corner on the opposite end also un-filleted.

Not trusting LCam too much I'd be afraid scaling and un-scaling might screw up the drawing. I'd have to export the g-code and convert it back to DXF to check it thoroughly. I have a program that will do that.

How much do you scale it up?

It depends right? :D  I know, whatever works right.

Sage