Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:19:19 AM

Author Topic: Pocketing not working  (Read 25088 times)

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
Re: Pocketing not working
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2008, 08:46:46 AM »
I will reiterate that the main purpose for posting the problem I was having with LCam was to document the problem so it can be corrected and so others can see it and read a possible solution.
 It appears Art is probably aware of all the quirks and when (if) he gets around to recoding the program those quirks will be gone and, as is usually the case with code, a new bunch will arise  ;).
 I guess we just have to sit back and see what happens.
 For now I'm actually quite happy with the program. Each quirk I've found has been worked around (with the help of others here - thanks) and I keep going forward. I mostly use it to generate the math of the curves and then build on that code manually. Most times I don't even bother with setting depth-of-cut because the hundreds of lines of repetitive code generated by LCam are more sensibly handled with subroutines which I write myself.
 Since we worked around the latest pocketing issue I'm happy again.

One note on what Art has posted in his replies though:
 I'm not sure why he goes to such great lengths to FIX bad drawings in LCam, such as lines that don't join etc etc. and thereby implementing things like the connection tolerance. Second guessing the human just opens up the file to mis-interpretation and quirky action.
 IMHO if he can detect a problem then the program should just indicate to the user there is a problem in plain english (not in typical Windows cryptic fashion) and let the human fix it in the originating program.  I'm sure the program could even point out the co-ordinates of the offending issues like "lines not joined at X2.234 Y5.234 Do you want to connect or Cancel.
Mach3 does it now when arc end points don't end up where they should be. It doesn't try to fix it. It just lets you know and refuse to go any further.

Enough said.

Sage
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 08:59:47 AM by Sage »