Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 03:18:01 AM

Author Topic: Pocketing not working  (Read 25217 times)

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
Re: Pocketing not working
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 09:39:20 AM »
Overloaded: I tried your file.
 No. Sill only get an offset ,Picture attached.

Is there supposd to be 184 entities in chain 8?
My connection tolerance was set to .001

Sage
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 09:44:05 AM »
Sage, in your triangle, you have the finish set at .5   That's how much material will be left uncut.
Check the others and set it to 0.0000 on all and see what you get

Ooooops....I meant RECTANGLE !
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:49:49 AM by Overloaded »

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 09:59:01 AM »
Ok !!!! (posted at the same time overloaded suggested it - we must have been typing at the same time)
Call off the hounds. I figured it out.
On the pocket screen there are two data entry boxes - one called "Overhang" and the other "finish". I noticed the "finish" box had 0.500 in it (no idea how it got there, I've never used pocket before). The light went on when I looked at the simple rectangle I created and noticed that the blank area around the spiral looked to be about 0.5" wide. I guess this "feature" is supposed to tell the routine how much to leave around the edge of the pocket. (What for I ask - but what do I know)
 I guess the reason it would not pocket the shapes in the other file is they were all not much more thn 1/2" in height (actually about (3/4") so the pocket was ended before it got started.
 I set the "finish" value to 0.0 and the pockets work now.
 Can't say I didn't read the manual on this one  >:D ('cause there isn't even a basic one)
I surmised the "finish" value might have someting to do with the smoothness of the pocket (finish - get it) such that maybe it went over it a few times to make it smooth, so I ignored it. (don't touch the controls you know nothing about)

So the question is: what does the "overhang" value do?? now that I guess I've figured out the "finish" doesn't control the "finish".

Yet another one to add to the list.

This is too much !!

Sage

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 10:03:04 AM by Sage »

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 10:01:41 AM »
Thanks for all your help on this one Overloaded.
This helping each other is what makes this forum so good.

Now back to the project.

Thanks again.

Sage
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 10:08:15 AM »
Sage....good timing, you're catching on.
The finish settings will leave enough material to do an offset at a slower feedrate and maybe another cutter climbing to give a fine finish after the pocket is cut.
The Overhang is used when cutting an open profile...like a single line to represent a slot for instance. It is the distance that the cutter will travel beyond the end of the line. (+/- something like that , I've never used it though)
Grinnin now aint ya ?
RC

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 10:44:04 AM »
Almost.

I went back to my original files and cleaned up the extra lines etc. Created a dxf and made sure the finish and overhang were set to 0.0.
I tried a pocket on the corner chain and - nothing, didn't do anything except report that the pocket was created - nothing added to the project at all - . The other rectangles were fine.

I remembered what was mentioned previously by budman68 about zooming in and moving the start point dot for the chain. I grabbed the start point and arbitrarily dragged it to a new place at the beginning of the diagonal line at the bottom left and 'voila' the chain pocketed fine.
 I didn' do any converion of arcs to whatever either. I did export it as V2000 DXF though but I don't thank that made any differencr.

So there is something to this start point issue. Which is just another one of those quirks I'll have to remember I guess.

Attached is the file so you can try it yourself as I have described. I'd be interested to know what you find.

Sage
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 10:46:08 AM by Sage »
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2008, 11:22:54 AM »
Hmmm.
FYI, Excellent....except for this guy on the end. Dragging dont help...zooming dont help.
Good looking chain.

Changed arcs to curves and then it pockets.

Sage, did you see if it actually posts code even though the display doesnt show the paths ?
Like you said earlier, the info box shows that it pocketed sucessfully. Just wondering.

The only way I can get it to pocket, and show, is to convert the arcs.

This is why there can be no manual. Modern computers dont have enough storage for one.  :D
RC
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2008, 11:26:15 AM »
Sage , Is the right one a copy or mirror of the left one ?  Might be a clue ?
RC
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2008, 02:30:15 PM »
 :)OK, here is a weirdness that adds to the confusion....MINE anyway. ::)

As illustrated below:
All settings remain the same in LC.
1. Draw a rectangle....Pockets FINE
2. Fillet the corners .09 R....Pockets FINE
3. Chop off the corner, leave the corners SHARP.....Pockets FINE
4. Put the same fillet in the 2 remaining corners...NO POCKET

Something about the angle and the fillets together ?  ? ? ? ?

Not like I really NEED this to work, it's just buggin' the HELL out of me.

RICH,
If you get a chance, could you look at it ? I'm sure ART's too busy.
Might save this for a clue when LC goes in for the overhaul.

Thanks ,
RC
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2008, 02:53:13 PM »
Here is another neat one.
SOMETIMES..when the selected chain wouldn't pocket, did a MOUSE MOVE just a tad and then it pocketed. Ooops it back to where it was and then it pocketed OK. But that only worked 2 times, cant get it to work now.

I've got mine so messed up now, I don't know what to expect.
Cool stuff,
RC