Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:04:50 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 software Camtronics box gecko201's No voltage out to drive motors?  (Read 9096 times)

I have the Mach3 software installed on my computer and I have a ShopMaster Eldorado bridgemill/lathe with the Factory installed CNC kit connected to a Cxamtronics box.  I purchased this machine used (for a great price) from someone that didn't know what he was getting into and never got it up and running. It came with a Camtronics control box with 3 Gecko 201 drivers. 

One of the gecko drives the power light is not coming on. I don't know but i doubt if one of the drives are not working would keep the whole unit from working.  I also have another control system with a dead power supply that I could rob gecko drives from if it would be necessary to get the unit up and running  they are gecko G320's and G340s  I have no idea if they are interchangeable or not.

I am getting 37.9 volts to the Gecko controllers but no voltage out to the motors

One of the members suggested that my info from the computer may not be reaching my breakout board and or controllers.

If this is indeed the case how do i go about rectifying it?  I hope and dream it is as simple a driver or a plugin.

Thanks for any or all input

Jamie

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 software Camtronics box gecko201's No voltage out to drive motors?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 08:06:09 PM »
JAMIE,
I assume that you can go into the controler / Camtronics box and check some things out. If not, say so ,and do not fool with the outputs / cable running to the steppers unless you absolutely know what you are doing. So electricaly
if not capable keep your hands out of the box! That said:

1. Completely trace out each and every wire to make sure whatever that previous person wired up was done correctly.
- here is a rough description of the controller electrical flow : 120v ac in to a transformer ( or 2 transformers) , then to  bridge, then to capacitor
- from capacitor to individual fuses which will feed the individual Geico 201 drives
  ( Check that all fuses are ok and of the proper rating ( the fuse may be blown on the drive which the light dosen't come on)
2.Go to the geico site anad download info on the g201's - you shoiuld have a capacitor across power to ground on each one. You should have power at terminal #2, check that there is a current limitiing resistor across the current set terminals and that it is good. You need +5v to the +5v terminal. Its understood that phase wiring is done correctly.
Is there a switch going to the disable ? maybe turned off?

Thats some general things.
If power, grounding, +5v, not disabled, is ok you may have a blown drive.
Call Geico, as they can tell you exactly what few ohm measurements to check to see if the drive is blown.
Sorry, but I just don't remember that test anymore. you will need to remove it.

3.With power off check each steppers wiring from drive to motor. Check that none of the motors are shorted.

Knowing that everything is wired correctly is the first step. Who knows what that guy did!

If the drive is bad I would replace it with like kind, there is an upgraded G201( think G202?) but the g201 is $20 to
$40 cheaper and may be different in size. While you at this , you may want to consider puttinig in another drive,
this way you could have xyza axis or a can always become a spare should you blow one.
Hope this helps,
RICH
PS: I didn't get into mach settings as I realy think you should first confirm wiring.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 08:09:47 PM by RICH »
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 07:40:18 AM »
Thanks very much Rich for the detailed response

I went through those things and a few more tests on the phone with Marcus from Gecko last night and wasn't able to get power out to the motors. 
The motors were wired wrong so I re-wired them and still no power or holding torque. 

I do not recall any of the terminals having 5 volts Terminal 10 is supposed to have 5 volts dc Where should that 5 volts be coming from? I saw a wire going out of the back of the box connected to terminal 10 daisy chained so I wrongly assumed that was outgoing for an accessory.

That could have a great deal to do with my lack of functionality :o

I will try again this evening and keep you posted.

Thank you very much again Rich I can't believe that we didn't figure that out last night.

Jamie

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:03:42 AM »
Jamie,
Isn't Marcus a fantastic knowledgable guy.
You need +5v dc to the geico for the opto isolators and if it is not there you will not get any pulses to the drives which may be your problem. Should the 5 volts be switched off and say you were running the steppers they will imediately stop. The five volts DC can be a voltage limiting circuit from the 37.9 volt source or from say a an independent trasnformer. Point is you need the 5 dc volts to the dirve.
PS: download the manual for the drive from the gecko site and you can go to the camtronics site and should  find a manual on their control boxes.
RICH
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 08:16:00 AM by RICH »
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 12:01:50 AM »
Rich you are a wise wise man

the 5 volts was at least part of my issue.

I now have holding torque on the motors.

I still do not have motor control ability

What should my port settings be?

I went in and made sure my pins were set correctly

So far no dice

Thanks again for the great information

Jamie

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 12:51:27 PM »
Jamie,
Please tell my sons how wise I am. ;D

So,  I assume that all wiring is checked out. Is that true?
Have you read thru the Mach maunual?

Mach needs to provide info to the drivers via the PP. So you need to do some configuration in Mach.
Check the following:

CONFIG> PORTS & PINS
           >PORT AXIS SETUP >PORT 1 CHECKED, ADDRESS is 0x378( usualy but yours may be different), kernal speed 25000hz
           >MOTOR OUTPUTS> XYZ are enabled ( green check),step & dir  pins are correct, dir& step are checked ( green check)
                                         Step & dir port are 1

RICH

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 04:06:22 PM »
To your sons

Your father is a wise man read and believe it!

I did check out the wiring and all was well except that there was no provision for 5volts so I ran a jumper from the computer 5v power supply.

Now I have holding torque but no control from the Mach3

I set the pins and ports as you suggested but no dice so far

Nothing is ever easy.

Again I appreciate the help

Thanks

Jamie
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 04:09:08 PM by MAKESOMECHIPS »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 06:57:49 PM »
Jamie,
It is easy, understanding the bulk of it is a challenge.
Need to ask some questions, how you answer those questions will help me help you in the easiest way minimizing time. So please bear with me.

Did you read / look over at the manual?

Do you have any break out boards in the system?
ie; i am assuming the following: Computer>Mach v?>using the parallel port ( step and direction >cable out to the camtronics controller box >line connect to motor

Have put any tuning values in Mach?

Can you post your XML file? Post it as jamie.xml

RICH

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 10:19:29 PM »
Rich

I did skim over the manual but didn't go in depth on it

I do not have any break out boards

you assumed correctly

no tuning values

I looked up xml files and still don't understand what they/you mean my guess would be a screen shot? maybe?

Let me know and i will try and help you help me

Thanks again for your patience and expertise

Jamie
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 05:46:39 AM »
Jamie,

I was not getting motor drive on a new setup (hard disk failure). I should have known better but I forgot to set the drive signals to port 1.
In :-
Config
Ports and pins
Motor outputs
Step port set X Y Z to 1
Dir Port set X Y Z to 1

The default in the table is 0 and you get no drive.

Had me worried for a while!

Ian