Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 04:37:20 PM

Author Topic: AXYZ CNC router conversion  (Read 20335 times)

AXYZ CNC router conversion
« on: September 26, 2008, 05:02:20 PM »
I would like to convert an AXYZ Automation Inc. CNC router to run on Mach3.  I know the machine has a step motor so I think it is possible but am not sure as to the steps I need to take.  If anyone has converted one of these machines I would love to hear from you. 

The reason why I'm converting is for a client that needs a more user friendly control software than the TOOLPATH control software supplied with the machine.  The machine is manufactured in Canada.

Thanks
Alex

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: AXYZ CNC router conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 01:57:30 PM »
What you need to do is find out what controls the axis motors (you mention a "step" motor, but you don't say what it is one) and what controls the spindle motor.

Mach 3 puts out step/dir pulses on two wires to each axis. These normally control driver cards e.g. Gecko, which convert the step and direction pulses into on/off signals for each phase of the motor. If this machine already uses stepper motors for the axis, then (providing they are CMOS/TTL compatible, you can probably control the driver cards directly from a computer output.

The spindle is different, in that Mach 3 can output two different signals - one is step/dir as above - but acting on the spindle controller, the other method is a PWM (pulse wave modulation) waveform which can be converted into a speed signal voltage to drive an inverter or similar, and the reversing is taken care of by outputs on the spare outputs wires (one wire is "on" for forward, one wire is "on" for reverse)

What you do not mention is what computer the client will be using, and what outputs it has. Probably the best way to go these days is with a cheap laptop, and a Smooth Stepper output board, which plugs into a USB port - and provides all the outputs/inputs for the various mach 3 functions.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 08:24:09 PM »
Step motors are Vexta HS/HT # ELO548
Controller is AMC004C
Spindle is HSD with EMOP spindle control
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 10:08:52 PM »
I know this thread is 2 years old, but does anyone have any info on this?

I want to do the same thing.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 06:26:14 AM »
Can you post info or  links on the machine, controller, drives, etc ?

RICH
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:41:59 AM »
Hey Rich,

I am new to this. So I'll do my best to give you any info. And thanks you for any help you may have.

The hardware is AXYZ automation. I am not sure what brand of table it is. I have not found any manufacturer data on it or serial tag or plate. I will post a pic of the table below if that helps.
The controller board says AMC0001A. I believe the machine is late 90's. The pendant control works. And I can run the last like 10 files stored in it.
The motors are step motors. But I am unsure if any one of them in particular would help you in determining any info on what to do or where to go.
It uses a porter cable router. of which it came with three.

I paid $250 for this thing, so if I have to put a little money into it, I can do that. It was in production use a few days prior to the shop closing down.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 05:09:55 PM »
Sniper,
Suggest you contact the vendor and get some info on the controller. I looked at their site and didn't get a hit for the model you posted.
If you can't get any info then you will need to open up the controller and take some pictures of the internals.
Unless someone is familar with it, you need to do some leg work to find out what you have and post it here so folks can take a look and give you
some guidance.
Till then I can't be of much help without guessing,
RICH
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 09:52:57 AM »
 Just a little follow up.

AXYZ in atlanta helped me out with some info on my machine.

Here is what she gave me so far.
it's a model 6010 form 1995.
it has a persky 5.5 hp spindle
an invertor
runs toolpath software

Question is that a generic or brand specific software?

She is going to help me out what the cable diagram if she can get the info. If not there is a cable available to purchase.

I suppose once I get it up and running, I suppopse I will have to use the toolpath software to operate the controller. I don't know if it would be worth upgrading to other software, controls, and what ever else is involoved in upgrading the whole system.

once step at a time.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 05:58:51 PM »
Don't know nothing about the toolpath software and it may be AXYZ company specific and you need to use it along with their controller.
I don't know.......
You need to find out if their controller / drives are step and direction and get specifics as to the pin outs or wiring required to use them with a different controlling program such as Mach.

May as well ask for schematics of the pendant also.
Wish Ya Luck,
RICH

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 10:30:18 PM »
Hi all,

I see this post started a couple of years ago, but i thought i would weigh in with a little of what i know.

The AXYZ AMC controller has been replaced in the last couple of years with a new 7 segment, pc based controller that will easily run any nc program you want to.  they have some details about it on their web site.

upgrading older machines to this controller is being done, but it might be pricier than the Mach. They can probably any mechanical work as well.

Hope this helps

Dean