Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:19:36 AM

Author Topic: Bridgeport Quill Feed Mechanism  (Read 33102 times)

Re: Bridgeport Quill Feed Mechanism
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2008, 08:45:19 PM »
Ok Hood...all I need now is the DIMENSIONS !
Thats probably where you make your $
RC

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2008, 08:52:22 PM »
Yep, thats what I did but still found that occasionally I need to change belts. Heres a pic of the motor I fitted, just stripped down the pancake motor and used its base plate to mount the new one with because I know that is your next question ;D
Hood

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2008, 08:53:11 PM »
Hood, that assemly is only held on by 2 screws mounted into the 2 little stepped "bosses" at the top and bottom of the depth stop? And this drives the quill (Z axis) with no strength issues? I would have never guessed that would have been enough.

I have a Bridgeport at the shop and I'd love to retrofit it someday but I'd have to do a LOT research before even thinking of CNC'ing (destroying) that machine. :D

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2008, 08:54:07 PM »
I may have the models or even DXF, will look tomorrow evening as its getting late here, 2am :(

Hood
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2008, 08:57:19 PM »
Well there ya go ::)..see what I mean ? :D
I can get rid of this keyboard now...I'll just check in every day and see what answers you have for me. ;)
Thanks,
RC
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2008, 08:59:02 PM »
Dave, there is 1 honkin ass bolt vertically throughthe lower lip

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2008, 09:00:32 PM »
Dave it is also held on with a blt through the lower bracket.
Hood

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2008, 09:02:40 PM »
Ah, I see it now, thank you.  :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2008, 09:03:02 PM »

what is the procedure to operate the quill manually ?
The procedure involves flipping a toggle switch. No need in removing the bolts. Obviously, its a bit more stiff because your having to turn the screw and the motor too, but it is definitely doable. I would hate to think that I had to tear into the thing every time I tripped the limit switch and disassemble the mechanism to move off the switch. If I had a nickle for every time I tripped the limit, well.......I'd have enough for about 2 gallons of gasoline. 1 gallon if there's a mild hurricane in the gulf (Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! try to stay on topic, Sam!) Personally, I hate the system and always thought "there's gotta be a better way". The single bolt that goes through the spindle is the bread and butter of the whole deal. It was never designed to take cutting forces and drive the spindle. Ours gets loose from time to time, so I keep an eye on it.  Having to maneuver an allen wrench sideways between the ball screw and the enclosure and apply any effective tightening pressures without snapping the ball on the wrench definitely contributed to the "better way" theory. On Hoods system, it looks easy enough to slap a boxed-end wrench on it and really get mean with it. All of our work is 2.5 axis stuff. I would not want this system if I were doing 3 axis jobs. I just don't think the single 1/4-28 "bread and butter" bolt would survive through the long haul of repetitive up/down motion. Maybe Hood, Beachbum, or somebody else can give there $.02 cents on that. Now if your not skeered to tear into the spindle and punch a couple larger holes through it, it would definitely beef things up a bit.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:07:19 PM by Sam »
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2008, 09:12:30 PM »
I assumed you probably had to turn the pulley, belt or screw by hand.
Just wasn't sure why that other pic even had the handle on there.
It would be totally useless.....unless you needed a knock on the head from watching it too closely in auto cycle.
RC