Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:04:16 PM

Author Topic: Bridgeport Quill Feed Mechanism  (Read 33095 times)

Bridgeport Quill Feed Mechanism
« on: September 15, 2008, 08:41:17 PM »
Hey folks, :)
Trying to find good descriptions of the mechanics involved in affixing a servo motor and ball screw to the quill of an older BPort step pulley head.
Such as brackets, mounting plates and attachments to the quill itself.
Seen many photos from a distance or covered up, nothing in detail.
I'd rather not power the knee and am not too fond of powering the rack and pinion either.(as I have seen on some)
Thanks for anything helpful,
RC
Re: Bridgeport Quill Feed Mechanism
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 08:55:04 PM »
What I did on mine was to mount a 5/8 ball screw right in front of the quill. For the ballnut I made up a block that is tapped for the ball nut on the top and has a bolt thru the center.  Same method used in the conversion Centroid sells.

The block attaches to the front of the quill in place of the ring that fits over the threaded rod for the quill stop.  I made up a bottom plate to hold the bearing for the bottom that is held in place by a bolt that runs thru the hole the threaded rod went thru .  The top plate contains the bearing for the top end of the ball screw, there isnt really any thing to attach it to so I came off the left side of the head with a simple plate  that supports the top plate.
I then have two sides that along with the top plate make up a box.
Maybe a pic will describe it alot better than words, Ill snap a few pics and post in the morning
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:28:09 PM »
RC,
You lookin for something like this? Its a centroid kit, but can be duplicated.  ;D
Need any parts made, let me know.

Ed
Ed VanEss
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 09:41:53 PM »
That is a dandy description RT. Along with the pics, should be plenty to get me started.
Thanks MUCH

YES Ed ! That's just what I need. I have never been able to see the GUTS of it though.
I had a pic saved that Hood posted way back when but lost in in the crash and can't find it now.

Thanks again,
RC
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 09:46:06 PM »
Another thing, is there a way to disengage the drive ?
Otherwise, why is the handle still on there in Ed's pic. ?
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 10:08:24 PM »
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 11:38:54 PM »
RC,
Just finished going through all 15 pages in the forum Ray L isted, and find he used the knee for the Z. >:(
also see a guy name of Hood on that forum.  :D  He just has to have a clone.  Just like S--T. he's everywhere. :D

Attached pic of my Excello mill. The z servo drives a shaft with a miter gear to the ball screw.
The ball screw replaces the quill stop screw.

Brett use to have a link on his web page to Hoods machine pics, but not anymore.

As far as the pic with the  quill handle.  Got a torch?

Ed

Ed VanEss
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:49:46 PM »
Thanks Himy,
Up to page 5.....good stuff.
RC
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 11:58:15 PM »
RC,
Just finished going through all 15 pages in the forum Ray L isted, and find he used the knee for the Z. >:(
also see a guy name of Hood on that forum. :D He just has to have a clone. Just like S--T. he's everywhere. :D

Attached pic of my Excello mill. The z servo drives a shaft with a miter gear to the ball screw.
The ball screw replaces the quill stop screw.

Brett use to have a link on his web page to Hoods machine pics, but not anymore.

As far as the pic with the quill handle. Got a torch?

Ed

Except that message #11 gives pictures of pretty much all the parts required to do a quill conversion in a nice, clean way.  I believe there's a whole thread somewhere there dedicated to that machine.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 12:14:29 AM »
Ray,
I had to go back to message # 11. Heres what I found.
Thanks, I'm sure a big Thanks from RC
Ed
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 12:16:59 AM by edvaness »
Ed VanEss