Who would like te G70/G71/G72 cycles added to mach3 lathe

YES finally!!
39 (92.9%)
NO why bother..I got a cam program
1 (2.4%)
Whats G70 G71 G72??
2 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: POLL: Mach3 Lathe and G70/G71/G72 roughing, facing, finishing  (Read 63901 times)

Re: POLL: Mach3 Lathe and G70/G71/G72 roughing, facing, finishing
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 02:10:30 PM »
 :(

ahh thats too bad... I really got my hopes up...

Thanks a lot for even trying.. I really appreciate it.....

I hope brian could take the time to add the feature to mach...

In the mean while.. ill have to use bobcad to make toolpaths.. its working but not the way i would like..

yet again.. many thanks for trying..

best regards

robin
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 06:52:25 AM »
why not have the profile entered into the wizard?  ultimately when do you a profile there are some rules that apply and i would be happy to help with ideas on how to get this figured out.  ultimately you would need a cycle for turning and boring and i think a wizard would do just fine until the actual coding can be done in MACH3.  ultimately its the repetitive coding that gets tiresome for the profiles.  figuring out the points is not that difficult. 
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 08:57:26 AM »
whell,

It would be great if the contour can be entered in a wizzard..

but scott tried to figure it out and he said that this wouldnt work... or am i misunderstanding something?

greetz

mcgyver

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 10:04:36 PM »
Well, I did find a Work around but had to use a Plug in to do it.............

So I do believe it can be done now as far as retriving the lines following the G7x code.

Here is the real issue, if ANYONE knows the math required behind these functions, then please post it, especially for doing contours. The Thing is, you would have to enter the Contour in as an Equation for the curve, and I think that may be beyond most users, (I do include my self in that statement, I can do the math, but dont really know if I want to spend the time figuring out the contor equation of some curve. Prior to running the thing.

Realy that is what the CAM is for that will do these functions already............

If it comes down to just the ability to run the already existing G7x spit out by your CAM, then I think we can run it from with in a Plug in..........

Scott
fun times
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2008, 07:07:59 AM »
on  a standard cnc when using a g70/71 one of the rules is that you have to have ascending contours.  basically you can't do things like a ball and rough them out.  the g70/71 will rough out the front half only.  so ultimately i thnk all you really need to do is create a program that will:

1. create a wizard that will let you input a contour
2. offset the contour by what should be left for the finish pass (user defined finish depth)
3. generate code to rough with steps (user definied depth and feed rate)
4. generate code using the original contour for the finish pass (user defined feed rate)

also i believe that EMC has figured this out and my understanding is all this software is open source.  as long as your not profitting from this i don't think borrowing their code would be an issue. 
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 04:19:37 AM »
Whell..

The machines I worked with do have that function. (e.g. old siemens controll)

Depending on the geometry of the tool  I only have to program the toolpath and the cycle and the machine does the rest...
So i can rough and finish  a ball shape... it doesnt have to be ascending...

Too bad that the function is so difficult to create in mach...

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 04:06:33 AM »
  Though new to the forums, I see no reason why the option should not be added....maby instead of the size of what needs to be done at times, potentially an option?

Maby let the command have some lieniency to aide in compatibility would make Mach a new controlling program for the potential future....maby add the option with it's defaults for many controllers at the most (AM GUESSING as I have limited experience with CNC as yet except with using it for sharpening coldsaw blades...a bit less than a year with a company I worked for before too, BUT, maby a good option I think)

All up to the designer to make the choice, but from what I've seen so far, he's got a pretty-good shoe to fill myself.  (no offence either, but even before I ran the program here, I looked at the updates and all)

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 03:25:56 PM »
Melee, thank you for this code. I have been asking Brian, etc for a couple of years for a code such as this, and you go and do it just for the heck of it, I am impressed. Now, saying this, I have just now found your post and downloaded the files, and am going to rush out the door to go try them on my lathe, so I have as yet to have real time experience with it. I may have missed this in your documentation, but a question. Will either of these do reentrant profiles, such as the G73 does, it moves down in the X axis only so will allow you to rough out, say, a spool shape? Either way, even if not, I can live without, you have made my day, week, month, thanks again, I will report back with all I find out.
   DaveA.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 05:37:23 PM by DAlgie »

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 06:56:48 PM »
It works, it works!!
OK, after I converted the code over to Inch from metric, etc in 71 finial test.NC, and some other stuff, it looked good. M71 really isn't the same as a Fanuc G71, more like a G73 I was talking about earlier, it is actually a reentrant cycle, so that is a good thing. You have to start some amount above the stock diameter to begin with like the G73 needs, or you get a large cut on the first pass because it follows the profile with an amount of offset in X. I'll post more when I get more time with it tomorrow, but it's looking great from this end. Nice work!
   DaveA.

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2009, 01:59:31 PM »
Having a problem right now, after modifying M71_finial_test I get a "No space or tab between line number and code" error on the second M71 line. I have tried everything and I know that there is a space there, tried a tab, etc, but can't get it to run. I will go load your original file and try again, and then try my own program as well.