Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:45:31 AM

Author Topic: Online Tool Height control  (Read 20632 times)

Online Tool Height control
« on: August 20, 2015, 11:00:18 PM »
Hi guys,
I am using Mach 3 licensed software for one of my CNC projects. I want to manually jog/inch my z-axis (Tool axis) upwards/downward at a very low speed, while the G-code is being executed.
Haven't found any solution yet..please help. Is there any macro, that I need to type in??

Also, it seems there are a few softwares which offer this functionality.

Please advise. Any inputs will be helpful

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Online Tool Height control
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 12:07:48 AM »
It is not possible with Mach3.  Mach3 does not have indepedant axis control while running Gcode.

(;-) TP

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 03:18:32 AM »
Just a couple of things to think about...

Engineering wise it was a bit complex but I had a similar issue where I needed to adjust the position of a Y axis during a Gcode run. I cant give you full details because it was a commercial venture but the Y axis was driven by two stepper motors acting through a differential gear - one motor did all the work (following the Gcode instructions) whilst the other stepper motor provided the + / - adjustment and was driven (controlled) by a separate PLC which took sensor information as it's input.

For a Z axis it may be possible to make a circular mounting for the stepper motor which is rotationally adjustable (by hand perhaps) for say 45 degrees in each direction and easily locked in position. This would provide 1/4 the leadscrew pitch in vertical adjustment of the axis. Greater rotational adjustment (within the limitation of the wiring) = greater vertical adjustment of the axis.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 06:17:33 AM »
Use emulated THC inputs. Make sure ArcOK (THCON) is active and THC is turned on. Then you can use the keys of your choice to jog Z whilst X and Y move under program control.