Who would like te G70/G71/G72 cycles added to mach3 lathe

YES finally!!
39 (92.9%)
NO why bother..I got a cam program
1 (2.4%)
Whats G70 G71 G72??
2 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: POLL: Mach3 Lathe and G70/G71/G72 roughing, facing, finishing  (Read 63899 times)

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: Mach3 Lathe and G70/G71/G72 roughing, facing, finishing
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 10:45:20 AM »
Scott, do you have a link for that lathe software?

Thanks,
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 11:27:53 AM »
hi poppabear,

Whell it sounds nice but i dont work with onecnc... i mostly draw and program in bobcad... and that program is not handy with lathe roughing/finishing...

At my work i mostly program lathe programs by hand and i would like my lathe to work almost as the ono at my job...

I'm not  much of a computer programmer so writing macros and postprocessors is not my thing..

If mach could understand the g70/g71/g72 it would be a big help for me.. and for  a lot of other people.

Think of this..  i need something turned and i dont want to draw it first in a cad program....

I open a template G-code program... thumb in a contour and change the parameters in the lines with the G71 G-code....

If i could do that i am up and turning in 2 minutes.....

so yes i really would like mach to have these cycles added...

best regards

mcgyver

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 06:44:02 PM »
I could make this in a "Wizard" then if you just want to fill in the Blank for a Turn or Face operation.

It is my understanding that the G71/2's are mostly for Gross debulking of stock down to close to size, am I wrong in this?

With a Wizard, you would still need to fill in the "Parameter" information of the "Canned cycle" (really the Macro would just Emulate the G71/2 cycle).

So what do you Want?? 

Wizard?, or Custom Macro/plug in to run it from Cam info?, both?

scott
fun times
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 02:38:56 AM »
Hi scott,

Thanks for your reply's!

whell.

a wizzard is a very good addition. but it still wont let mach understand the g71/72..... so what I really like is that mach gets the canned cylcle adde

The G71/72 indeed lets you turn your billet near the demanded sizes and contours  with G70 you can finish .

Sometimes i would like to use bobcad for programming.. and sometimes i want to do it behind the machine..
So the answer to your question is both i think.

My idea about it is if mach gets the cycle added.. I can add the cycle in  a pull down box in bobcad and fill in the parameters...... so when  making a program  i can easilly use the cycle  before and after my contour...

and when programming behind the machine i can do as i said before i can open a template textfile and program the contour and parameters by hand...

A wizzard will help with that ... no doubt... so i'm all for the wizzard also..

Another reason for that i like the G70/g71/g72 is that when you want to make a series of the same parts is that if i choose the wrong cut depth  for roughing or when i leave to much for finishing.. i can edit my program and change only one or two parameters...
If I should use a wizzard or cam program I will need to re write the whole program... because the wizzard or cam program still generates a huge list of lines after filling in your parameters....so its also a time saver for me..

best regards

Mcgyver

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 02:52:14 AM by Mcgyver »

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 09:27:13 AM »
    You have the wrong impression of Wizards then....Unless My stupid brain is Still not seeing your issue...  :)

You said you can change just a few lines of Code, in your G71/2/0 and rerun it.

In the Wizard it is the same thing, you just change the DRO value of the parameter you want to change and then repost it, it will spit out the new path.

ALSO:

The post above, in where I show you (IF you can custom edit how your post processor works), and your Bob Cad will post out the #Parameters that contain the values I need for the Macro, these same values you can ALSO hand edit at in the Program it self if you need to ).

OR:  Perhaps I still dont fully understand the issue at hand.  (Yes, I know you want G70's canned cycles added, but that will be a far, far, way off if ever...., when Brian says he doesnt have enough request for something he means, like 30% or more of the Total user population, to warrent the MASSIVE headache of ADDING/CHANGING code, and the PILE of New Support that will bring to him.  He already does a huge number of hours per day).

So, Until or If it is ever added, I was just trying to see if "we" could do some kind of Work-a-round.

I want to be able to use the native cycles to for mass debulking of stock down to size, so let me know if that will work.

I will need you to do some Code for me from your Bob Cad so I can see how it post code.

Give me a singulur, G71, and then a G72, then a G71 with G70 finish, and G72 with Finish.

I will need also Straight and Contor examples of both.

See if you can edit your Bob Cad post your self on how it outputs stuff.  If you can hand edit the post processor, then you are in biz!

Scott
fun times

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 07:44:09 PM »
Scott,
A wizard would be nice.
RICH
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 02:30:13 AM »
hey scott,

thanks for the reply,

I think i'm the one that doesnt understand yet ;D as i said i'm not much of a computer programmer....

I think a wizzard in mach would be the answer to my problem....

I'll try to describe how my bobcad V21 works....

Its just an enhanced text editor window next to my cad window.... it can convert information of the lines and arcs in the cadwindow to G-code in the cam window...

The cam part can't make toolpaths on its own... this means i have to draw toolpaths myself, select them and push a button in my cam window named "cut" or "cut auto"..

Bobcad will then post out G-codes of the lines i selected...

What i meant by that i can  edit the postprocessor  is that i could make a pull down window that would post out the g-code cycle... I could make a window whitch asks for the  Cut dept and leave to stock etc and bobcad will post out as you said before..:

G71/2 U{cut depth} R{retract amount}
G71/2 P{Start Line#} Q{End Line#} U{Leave in Z for finish} W{Leave in X for Finish} F

G70 P{Start Line#} Q{End Line#}

SO i think  that a wizzard in mach would be the option for me and a lot of mach users..

The way i see it with a wizzard (correct me if i'm wrong) i could use a cam program  or write a contour path by hand .... load it in mach and use the wizzard to generate the debulking path..... and the finishing path...

I think thats the most simple way and an addition for anyone using mach turn... you also dont have to think about how my cam program works....

I hope you get my point .... english isnt my first language so i'm having difficulty to explain to you.

Thanks a lot for all your effort...

Best regards

Robin
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 02:33:39 AM by Mcgyver »

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 11:12:44 AM »
Robin,

"english isnt my first language so i'm having difficulty to explain to you."

hahahahaha  YOUR ENGLISH is better than mine!!!!, and it is my first laungauge!!!

Ok,

I will see what I can do........

Scott
fun times
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 12:11:41 PM »
 hahah  ;D thanks thats a huge compliment hahah

thanks for all your efforts..

greetz

robin

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 01:38:01 PM »
Well, This is an endevor that I have failed on.  I know you can write G code directly to mach, BUT, the converse is NOT true, I have no way to pull the G code on a given line into a plugin.  I asked Art about this, and he said there is no way to do that.  So, I will not be able to do a G71/2/0 type of emulation, since I cant get to the finishing pass and positional data in the few lines that follow the G71/2/0 line in the code.

So, I am defeated............

Sorry, I am not happy about it eigther, but that is just the way it is.

scott
fun times