Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 08:03:18 PM

Author Topic: dual x axis direct drive jumpy  (Read 12736 times)

dual x axis direct drive jumpy
« on: August 15, 2008, 05:07:04 PM »
I built a router with two direct drive stepper motors for the x axis. The machine is 10 feet long and 5 feet wide. I'm using Mach3 and a 4 axis driver from Mecntronis (easy cnc). I've set mach3 to use A axis as the slave axis of the x axis. The motors are using a timming belt systam and the dirive is direct so one revloution is 1.5 inches in the x direction. I've set it up and it cuts circles pokets and all that stuff pretty accurate but rough my y axis is an acme thread and runs about 4 reves per inch and seems smooth. The x axis is jumpy at low speed, you can hear it move it sounds like about a 30 40 herts pulse.

Is there any thing I can do to smooth this x axis out. on curves you can see each step the motor makes?
my thought is to make a couple of transmissions for the two motors so that each turns about 4 rev per in or so?
any thoughts would be appriciated.
Forrest
Re: dual x axis direct drive jumpy
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 05:25:25 PM »
Reduction gearing or a microstepping driver.
RC

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 05:29:49 PM »
you got a link to your drives?
Hood
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 05:35:02 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by link, physically connected motors or electronically connected or?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 05:37:36 PM »
Sorry, I mean a link to the website of the makers. I have done a google and cant find any info on it.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 10:33:30 PM »
I built a router with two direct drive stepper motors for the x axis. The machine is 10 feet long and 5 feet wide. I'm using Mach3 and a 4 axis driver from Mecntronis (easy cnc). I've set mach3 to use A axis as the slave axis of the x axis. The motors are using a timming belt systam and the dirive is direct so one revloution is 1.5 inches in the x direction. I've set it up and it cuts circles pokets and all that stuff pretty accurate but rough my y axis is an acme thread and runs about 4 reves per inch and seems smooth. The x axis is jumpy at low speed, you can hear it move it sounds like about a 30 40 herts pulse.

How you did connect the motors (wires wise) parallel o serial?

Is there any thing I can do to smooth this x axis out. on curves you can see each step the motor makes?
my thought is to make a couple of transmissions for the two motors so that each turns about 4 rev per in or so?
any thoughts would be appriciated.
Forrest
uuccimi - novice
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 02:18:13 AM »
Hi, I think I have the same board, is they're pot on the board with test pins, you have to adjust each to about 5 volts(2 times the current of 2.5 amp)  for the current and about 2.5 volts for the others.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-AXIS-CNC-ROUTER-OR-MILL-STEPPER-MOTOR-DRIVER-BOARD_W0QQitemZ330262172457QQihZ014QQcategoryZ78197QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is it this board?.

http://www.easy-cnc.com/web/download/Manual4Axis(NEW).pdf
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 12:05:59 PM »
I'm not sure how to work with a Forum, I see I have 6 replies with questions I'll answer them all here??
Overloaded, It is a microstepping driver.
ostie01, yep thats her
uuccimi, parallel
hood, http://.easy-cnc.com
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 06:20:12 PM »
it's microstepping
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 06:20:56 PM »
it's easy-cnc