Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:38:24 AM

Author Topic: Losing Position  (Read 18790 times)

Offline mhdale

•  130 130
  • Knowledge is the Treasure.
    • View Profile
    • Black Dragon Technologies
Re: Losing Position
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 02:53:14 PM »
Ok. When faced with the daunting task of RE-Wiring the Frankenstien that is my CNC Machine.... I BALKED and tried a few other settings... I did scope the outputs to the stpper drives and it seemed not too too noisey but without hooking everything up to the other computer to record the scope in realtime I am only seeing a fraction of the pulse train. I Changed the STEP LOW Active setting on my motor outputs and that seemed to cover most of the noise I was getting.....I ran a long test which was showing a .064 deviance before and this one came in under a thou.... so I think I have solved the issue.... untill the next modification.... Thank you Brian and Art for your patience and understanding! BTW QUANTUM ROCKS!

Offline mhdale

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 10:30:28 PM »
Ok..... (Looking Sheepish) I guess I got ll excited about a one time fluke thing because after a few tests of working flawlessly, my system started acting up again....... Sigh I guess its time to turn this ugly duckling into a swan.... Or maybe time to dust off the G-Rex that has been sitting on my shelf waiting for that perfect time......

Thanks again Guys...maybe the next fix will stick ;)
Mike

Hi, I'm George from Cedar Creek 3d,
     This is my first shot at forum, so please bear with me.
     I have a TAIG micromill that worked perfectly for many months. Recently, the x-axis started bouncing, mispositioning, and failed to reverse. Used Mach2 initially, switched to Mach3 and still the same. Switched the x and y cables, y-axis now malfunctions. Sent drive unit back and was returned stating nothing wrong. They told me to check my computer, couldn't find anything wrong.
     Any body have any ideas? It's driving me nuts.
                                              Thanx, George

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 01:48:45 PM »
Hi:

When you say you swapped cables and the problem followed the cable, what cables? The motor power?

Art
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 12:47:59 AM »
I have had some lost positions on some long runs cutting foam and soft woods and haven't found the culprit except maybe the OS from Microsoft.
Has anyone tried the REALTIME function available in Task Manager??  I stumbled across the function by right clicking on Mach3 in the Process Manager and a drop down appears where you can set the priority to Realtime.  You also get a message indicating some bad things can happen.  BUT, if this stops MS from interrupting Mach3 's functions during a prolonged run .........
JWI

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 01:11:29 AM »
Hey JWI,
     I have no idea, this is the second time I have seen the same question from you. If you don't get a response tomorrow, I'll ask some of the guys that may have an answer. Sorry I can't help.

Brett

;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline mhdale

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 01:36:29 PM »
Hey guys, I would be very interested in learning more about this realtime parameter as well. The problem with a problem like this is that it is so... vague... unpredictable. I think that it is unlikely that mach would be loosing steps on long runs because I suspect many more poeple would have issues. It is possible it has some relation to our PC's or more likely the whole package. In my Case I suspected my PC Power supply as being a bit weak and causing some possible issues with the ports maintaining a clean signal. Add to that a frankenstien creation  which has been re-wired more than my house. I have seen bad noise from my system in the past so it would be my first pick....if and when I get around to re-wiring the darn thing you will all be the first to hear wether or not it clears it up. I am VERY interested in what solves other peoples issues so please let me know if you track down your own.

Mike

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 02:06:09 PM »
JWI, is this a dedicated PC? Have you gone through the Optomisation File in the downloads section? Does it have a network connection?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 12:57:31 AM »
Hi Brett,
I have optimized the unit per the guide, but only succeeded in stopping all communication from the PC to the control box.  The PC is dedicated and the control box holds 3 Gecko 320's, an opto BOB and a very good Power supply with a flow thru cooling system.  The problems in the past have been in very long runs < 3 hrs. where one or all of the axis' will loose touch with reality.  I haven't had a long run come up lately, but when I do I will try the Realtime function to see it it cuts off the extra stuff that the MS OS produces.  I'm interested in this as the EMC program seems to thrive in a realtime environment
Thanks for your reply.
JWI 

Offline mhdale

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 12:15:40 PM »
JWI, How does your out of position show up? Does it just creep out a little on certain axis depending on the program? Some of the programs I have run are 6-12 hrs, the really wierd thing is that after discovering the problem I went back through and basically ran the same program step by step and verified position in between and it was fine..... (Sheepishly) However I did have the screensaver turning the monitor off after 2 hours of idle time... which MAY have caused some of the problem. I have since had it show up with no screensaver... But again... could be noise....
I would be very interested in any info and insight you learn from your own issues.

Mike