Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:12:02 PM

Author Topic: MACH3 is starting the router on its own... Scarry!!!!  (Read 18695 times)

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: MACH3 is starting the router on its own... Scarry!!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 02:45:17 AM »
Nope, It stay on until I manually turn it off.
I will try to switch the pin and let you know.
Thanks for the help,
Bruno
... and the result was?

Bruno, you can implement all the fancy do-dads you want but that doesn't change the fact that pin 1 is going high and staying high - and it shouldn't be  ::)
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 05:48:21 AM »
use a different pin? pin 1 is usually reserved for the strobe line.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 05:58:54 AM »
use a different pin? pin 1 is usually reserved for the strobe line.

This kind of where I'm going - however pin 1 is only strobe for "conventional" printer drivers. Mach's driver as far as I'm aware has no use for pin1 as strobe and shouldn't be doing this - there is no documentation that says "stay clear of pin 1" as far as I know.

Lightbulb above head mad grasping at straws idea! ;D - Bruno (if you're still here) - you don't by any chance have a conventional printer driver enabled as well as the Mach driver on your system that could be taking strobe high through the side door?
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 06:07:37 AM »
a good point, printer drivers are pretty dumb. I've never had this problem but then I set up my CNC box from a bare disk, and I've never installed a printer on it.
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 09:08:04 AM »
Hi everyone,
I finally had the time last night to apply the solutions who where giving to since I started this thread except the 2 relays one because I did not have them handy. So I change to pin #2 and I used better shielded wires for the relay, I even shielded the relay itself, and the result is .......
Something works because apparently I do not have the problem anymore. I have the feeling that the shielding part was the reason but I will try to investigate more and will post my finding.
I also want to implement this 2 relays idea as a additional safety measure.
Thanks to everyone for your time and advices, hey.... you problably save my fingers at one point and my machine is ... Scarry!!!! ..... NO MORE!!!!!!
THANK YOU

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 09:38:51 AM »
I'd urge a little caution there Bruno - for the sake of your fingers lets be sure what's happened here.  ;D

This can NOT be a shielding problem unless your relay is a latching relay - which it shouldn't be. That's the reason I asked you a few posts back if it "blipped" on and off intermittently or stayed on. You said it was staying on - noise can't do this. Noise would (if anything) only make your relay and hence your spindle stutter on and off.

Changing to pin2 makes me think that BluePinnacle and I may well be on the right track regarding the strobe signal (pin1). If this is the case and you DO have a "standard" printer driver enabled at the same time then you could still have an unpredictable system on your hands (and those precious fingers). Anyway it's dead easy to rule out - just get yourself into control panel/system and have a look.
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 10:14:25 AM »
What do you call a latching relay? The relay I use is a solid state relay Made by Eastman Kodak 3/24v control up to 240V/10Amps  50/60 HZ.
What you want me to do in the control panel, check if any printer are turn on? uninstall the printer driver?What should I look at?
Bruno
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 10:33:11 AM »
I went in the system driver and found a ECP printer driver on LPT1 and I disabled it. I left the machine on to see what will happen.
Bruno

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 10:44:27 AM »
relays - mechanical or solid state - can be latching or momentary (amongst other things). With a latching relay you give it a pulse and it stays on. With momentary, you have to hold the switching signal as long as you want the relay to power. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay I'm sure they'll explain it better than me.

Anyway - I doubt you're using a latching relay - shouldn't be anyway - cos Mach is set up to use momentary.

Yeah sorry - I meant control panel printers not system. If you've previously had a printer on the system then it would be a good idea to remove it. I'm not sure you want to remove or disable the actual driver. Just out of interest though, now you've disabled the port driver, does Mach work at all - I don't know whether the pulse engine uses the port driver or bypasses it.
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 10:58:40 AM »
Thanks for the explaination on the relays.
Well, apparently Mach bypass the driver because it still works fine, I tried because I was concern about it. I think I will remove the driver all together it as I use this computer only for my machine.
Bruno