Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 04:50:41 AM

Poll

Would you be willing to pay?

One dollar a minute billed in 5 minute increments.
20 dollars a call for up to 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes will be 50 cents a minute.
Four hundred dollars a year for 12 hours then 45 cents per minute "Silver" support.
Eight hundred dollars a year for 30 hours then 40 cents per minute "Gold" support.
Twelve hundred dollars a year for 50 hours then 35 cents per minute "Platnum" support.
50-75/hr period........

Author Topic: Re: Prices for one-on-one phone tech support.  (Read 17341 times)

Re: Re: Prices for one-on-one phone tech support.
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 11:08:02 PM »
Hello Brett,
My post was just the humble opinion of a novice greenhorn. No offense intended.
I'm curious as to what you think of it. (be gentle)
Thanks again,
RC
I voted for #2.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Prices for one-on-one phone tech support.
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 12:19:35 AM »
No problem RC, I respect what your saying. Not upset in the least. I don't necessarily agree with all of your views, but who would? That is one of the great things about the forum, we are big enough to agree to disagree. The following quote is where we disagree.

But....Only after the the software is TOTALLY locked down and debugged. And there is a COMPLETE manual that covers EVERYTHING about it...No secret or mysterious buttons or functions.. and everything functions as intended.

Here is the way I view all of this, support and all in a nut shell. It would be easy for Art and Brian to have completed manuals and a virtually bug free program (Isay virtually, because bug free is a myth IMO no matter how much you pay) if it weren't for one thing, the gifts they give freely on a regular basis. When features are added, lots of times it introduces unforseen bugs, maybe in a bit of code 180 degrees from the feature added. Me for one would rather help eliminate the bugs so that everyone can benefit. If all one-on-one tech support was only avaliable after programs were 100% bug free, there would be no such thing.

If the software is as perfect as possible, and the manual is written as such, along with this great forum it seems that there would be little need for phone support. Other than "the big hurry" as mentioned earlier or couldn't find it in the manual. (which wouldn't say much for the manual.)

This is the whole point, some just flat out do not want to read a manual or look for answers. They would much rather spend a little money rather than time, pick up a phone, talk to a live person, and run their machine. If I'm looking at investing in a piece of equipment for the sole purpose of makeing money, I would much rather have the option of spending a little money to save a load of time. We need to be able to help this type of user as well as the retired or hobby guys. Different strokes for different folks. How many times have you seen a question posted that was clearly in the manual? I bet many times. Some just aren't interested in learning about Mach, at all. Their sole purpose for haveing it at all is to run parts. 

Brett 
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2008, 07:08:30 AM »
Thanks Brett, I stand somewhat enlightened.
"Virtually" was the word I was looking for.
I'm all for it....I just hope there will be adequate documentation for those of us that don't mind to look it up, or at least attempt to, before calling in.

And, if an otherwise "virtually" perfect program is running just fine, and a new "90,180 or 270 bug" feature is added, the user would have to foot the bill if in a hurry. Ring Ring $ $ . I guess there would be no option. As you said, this happens "lots of times".
Thanks Brett,
RC

Offline rcrabb

•  146 146
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 09:53:38 AM »
Support is completely separate from product development or design. Although a bug may be found during the support process, it's not the responsibility of the support guy for the bug. I've been in customer service and support for the last 3 years. 99% of the time a phone call is about something clearly documented. People making themself available for you to call should be compensated for there time. Remember, you choose the FREE Mach upgrade. You choose to add the FREE plugin. Alot of time an upgrade is posted and a bug is fixed. Sometimes a feature is added and new bug is introduced. Anyone calling phone support should pay 100% of the time for any reason. If the support guy chooses to cut you a break because he didn't know the answer, that's his or hers choice. If you choose not to pay for phone support, use the forum or email.
Ryan
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2008, 10:00:21 AM »
VERY well put Ryan..I agree totally.
Like you said.."99% of the time it's something clearly documented", we would have the option.
Thanks,
RC
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 02:38:42 PM »
Well, it's 8 months later can I get paid support, I NEED SOME HELP!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 08:45:31 PM »
Need to think hard about this as i see it from two different viewpoints, namely;
one is from a buisness point of view and the other is in the spirit of this hobby using the software.

I can invision a struggle in defining either one.
So here's a suggestion:

To provide a one on one line of comunication via telephone, electronic means, tutoring, or other means
in a way that minimizes the cost to a licensed user
so that
choice is provided at purchase time / over a span of tiime / or anytime
suplements the use of existing means to get personalized information
is taylored to each software
is taylored to level of expertise / and subject matter
addresses application outside of machining
provides for volunteerism
pricing structured over time
..........can add or modify to above..... concept must be clear 
with the concept in place focus can be placed on each specifics and becomes much easier

RICH

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2008, 11:58:25 AM »
yes, I would
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2008, 03:24:06 PM »
Phone support ?   ???

We have this wonderful forum and " HOOD "   :D
What more could you ask for ?

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2008, 04:01:33 PM »

What more could you ask for ?

Ed
Well Brett would like some silicone enhanced beauties ;)
Hood