Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:03:31 PM

Poll

Would you be willing to pay?

One dollar a minute billed in 5 minute increments.
20 dollars a call for up to 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes will be 50 cents a minute.
Four hundred dollars a year for 12 hours then 45 cents per minute "Silver" support.
Eight hundred dollars a year for 30 hours then 40 cents per minute "Gold" support.
Twelve hundred dollars a year for 50 hours then 35 cents per minute "Platnum" support.
50-75/hr period........

Author Topic: Re: Prices for one-on-one phone tech support.  (Read 17271 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Prices for one-on-one phone tech support.
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:39:39 PM »
We are looking for a viable solution for one on one phone tech support. Any ideas you have on this subject are welcome. Mach users cover a broad range. From hobbiest just wanting to play, job shops who use it everyday to earn a living, and OEMs that use it as a foundation of income for lots of people. We want to come up with a solution that will benefit, be accepted, and be helpful to all. As with all things in the beginning, It will not be flawless from the start. Due to limited man power, there may be considerable waiting times. I'm guessing we would have a "Click here for live support" tab. Once you click it the next available supporter will set up payment arrangements, most likely paypal, and introduce their self.  If all goes well we would add over time supporters in different time zones around the world. The ultimate goal is to have 24 hour support although I suspect it would take some time to get to that point. I think we would have a pretty consistant 18 hour window now, perhaps more.

Brett
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 11:59:12 PM by Chaoticone »
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 02:50:24 PM »
Cast your vote now. We want your input.

Brett

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 06:57:33 PM »
Hello Guy's,

I guess it really depends on what the average time an average problem takes to solve.

I voted for the first one 5 minute increments.

Bill

Offline drew

•  79 79
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Prices for one-on-one phone tech support.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 11:20:27 PM »
In the free market, those who are willing to pay more for it should get a faster responce.
imho Drew
If I had something important to say it would be here.

Offline drew

•  79 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 11:31:16 PM »
Is a license required for phone support?
If I had something important to say it would be here.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 10:32:27 AM »
In the free market, those who are willing to pay more for it should get a faster responce.
imho Drew

Thanks Drew, This is a very good point. I don't think there will be a one size fits all option for Phone support. Most likely there will be a pay per call option and one or more "service contract" options. As far as speed of service, the lesser the contract, the lower the priority.

Is a license required for phone support?

No, a licenses will not be required for phone support. This will be one of first questions asked though. Reason being is that the demo version is not 100%, some features require a licenses to unlock.

Brett

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 12:03:35 PM »
Brett - Whilst I don't necessarily agree with Drew, I can see that there will be Mach 3 users to whom a failure in their system will lead to serious financial loss to them, whereas I, as a hobby type user, can afford to wait for a result.

It seems to me you should offer several levels of support - speed apparently being of the essence, and, having purchased one of these levels of support, we can ring in and, perhaps, quote a code. Whem you are analysing the first calls, the code then gives you the order in which to answer.

It may be, on some days, the 5 cent option gets the 100 dollar service, because there are no other calls. On other days, everybody has to be strictly dealt with on the basis that, as Drew says, those who pay most get the fastest service.

To my mind, a premium payment initially - which gets you the "speed" code, but after that I think a standard charge for the actual time used for the problem. My problem might be just as important "to me" as Drews is to him. He pays a premium, therefore gets the first service, I dont, therefore have to take pot luck. After that everybody pays the same for your expertise.

This, I think, is fair and understandable to everybody.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 07:40:01 PM »
Thanks Jim,
    The idea of the paid contracts and lower per minute calls is to try to help smooth things out. Also, the quanity discount comes into play. Might be best to offer a urgency code at first. Those willing to pay a premium on a call by call basis could decide how fast they needed help and choose to spend for speed or patiently wait. I suspect to start with we will only have a per call price and see how that goes and where if any refinements will be made. This will be a pretty big undertaking in the begining. We have no idea how many calls we will receive, what times will be bussiset, etc.

Brett

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 08:41:39 AM »
I'm curious about something. Is this an official ArtSoft feature or a sideline business set up to run along side Artsoft, much like NFW that Brian set up?

The reason I ask? Well, it seems to me that all those that came before benefited from free support both phone and internet. Would it not seem reasonable to ask those to give of some of their time to do a little "giving" in return? Now don't get me wrong, as I understand there comes a time when the "giving" has to end because I am in a situation right now where I do support for a cam software company and I find that not only am I answering questions about the software I represent, but about cad, how to set up a machine, what feedrates to use for different materials, etc. But, with that said, I fully expect some free support calls when a piece of software is purchased, the one I represent, or Artsoft.

It was the phone call to Art way back in 2002 that allowed me to get my machine running again after a forced upgrade! Had it been policy to pay for that phone call after having just purchased the software, I would not have bought Artsoft and would have continued to use the piece of trash controller I was using!

So......what I'm saying is there needs to be some free telephone support included with the purchase of the software. It doesn't have to be much either, because there is so much free information available on both support sites.

Mike
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 08:49:54 AM »
DITTO's
I'm with Mike.
RC