Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:30:05 AM

Author Topic: PCI port card addressing woes  (Read 25994 times)

Re: PCI port card addressing woes
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 06:58:01 AM »

Q? Did you hook up your lp2 card to a device first?

A - No, just fitted it and installed the drivers.

Q. Is your enable plug and play device checked on?

A - Yes.

Q.  Did you manually set your card to lpt2? mine comes up as lpt3, but i change it.

A - mine came up as LPT2 anyway, but this can be changed - I don't think this matters as mach3 cannot be ordered to look for an LPT number, just a hex address..

Q.  My lowest hexidecimal address is in the programs, acc, sys tool, sys info, hardware, i/O area: And it is E080-E08f. but in device manager it says ec00. Is my card not compatible?????

A - Try both. The address Device manager gave me worked first time. I tested the card out by setting mach3 to autodetect a signal for X++ (ports& pins - inputs - automatically detect inputs) which is lazy but effective as it will pick up anything it sees changing. Or, to eliminate hardware gripes, pop a 300 ohm resistor between pin 10 and pin 25 with autodetect on - this should give you a result.

Q. Have you tried the   other cards you purchased? ty for the help.

A - np :) yes, tried them, they are identical to the one i tried last week and they work perfectly.

Good luck with this one - Whether or not the card is good, let us know and tell us what chipset it uses so we can get it on record. photos if possible ;)

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 12:16:29 PM »
BLUEPINN

here is a tip you might wan't to try.first check if you have IOMEGAWARE installed if you do, get rid of it.if it is not there that is better.now some drivers like com 1,2 lpt1 take a dominent position
      when they load so you have to change the loading order.first look in your system info for IRQ sharing and see what shares IRQ with your new card.make a list.then goto driver manager and uninstal
      the drivers that share the same IRQ.and then uninstal com1,2 and lpt1.now shut down and reboot in safe mode.reinstal your drivers manually ,add the netmos first and the com1,2 last then reboot.
      when loading the drivers manualy all your software is already in the computer so you have to look for it.when it ask you for a disk you pick from a list.give it a try you might have one of those tough
      motherboards  that you have to push around a little.

bill
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 04:06:57 PM »
No Iomegaware here, I fitted the box up from a bare disk. The new port card works fine anyway, and since i saw sense enough to put all the limits on one pin and the homes on another it's got an awful lot of spare capacity. I've got to re-do the interface board since the one i have is completely the wrong shape now, this way I can leave a block of spare outputs for a couple of extra steppers for future improvements, rotary table etc.

My new card uses IRQ sharing and this doesn't seen to raise any gremlins - it's an Abit motherboard btw, if that helps.
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 11:13:46 AM »
I was having the same problem with my pci port adaptor - set it to lpt2 and Mach couldn't see it.
I checked the resources and it was using E000h for the address.  I plugged that into Mach and it came up fine.
(0xe000 for the address)
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 05:26:20 PM »
Normally  this  is what  happens.  The old (triangular)  card did not prompt WXP to display a Resources tab, and  no  resources   info could be found  by other means.

The MosChip item worked ideally, just  as it should.
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 11:30:57 AM »
I had a problem with vista and older parts to.Go to the manufacturers site and get a much newer driver and force it.i've found that they have mostly shrunk their chips and not changed the design.try it even if it says its not supported.It worked for my ati vido card I went up a whole series. goodluck Al
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 05:51:25 AM »
This has been resolved, I just used a different PCI card. Vista? not using Vista, and won't be for some time. Thanks anyway. :)
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 12:33:35 PM »
Here's another vote for the NetMos/Moschip PCI parallel cards.  I've been using them for years in DOS (TurboCNC) and now XP (Mach3/Tormach) and they are reliable (and cheap! I just bought my latest two from http://cgi.ebay.com/?ViewItem&item=370035954186 )  And with the half-height card size, with a little cut-n-bend on the bracket, the card fit in my Dell SFF desktop case too.

Randy
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 01:06:45 PM »
i'm usiing  xp pro, i won't touch vista with a bargepole especially anything relying on low-level or time critical operations. now, i haven't used a 9735 chipset but i imagine it should perform pretty much the same as the one i was using, in xp at least.  if vista doesn't handle physical addressing in the same way as xp then you may be a bit stuck - there is a whole forum on vista compatibility. i won't be reading it until somebody not from redmond says anything nice about vista which doesn't involve desktop effects.

for my next trick i'm going to have to build a charge-pump safety board, since the lpt makes the relays snap on and off when the computer wakes up and coughs, and i don't want the spindle jumping about and the coolant jizzing all over, etc.
i'm usiing  xp pro, i won't touch vista with a bargepole especially anything relying on low-level or time critical operations. now, i haven't used a 9735 chipset but i imagine it should perform pretty much the same as the one i was using, in xp at least.  if vista doesn't handle physical addressing in the same way as xp then you may be a bit stuck - there is a whole forum on vista compatibility. i won't be reading it until somebody not from redmond says anything nice about vista which doesn't involve desktop effects.

for my next trick i'm going to have to build a charge-pump safety board, since the lpt makes the relays snap on and off when the computer wakes up and coughs, and i don't want the spindle jumping about and the coolant jizzing all over, etc.
disableing self check in bios might do it
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 06:56:40 AM »
We got one of these cards and didn't get the resource tab in the device manager but I did see a Multi IO device being installed so had a look at that and then entered the IO value 0x9008 (might be different) into Mach3 and bingo the motors and spindle now work shame it's not got a working e-stop but JS don't need one of them so the machine still hasn't got one wired up right.

Setup is a brand new Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Edition P2411 Sempron 3800 from ebuyer and a Startech Economy PCI Parallel Card with windows XP Pro. Will find out later what it's like on the machine and post the results.