Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:55:52 AM

Author Topic: 2nd parallel port pin (2-9) as inputs  (Read 15163 times)

2nd parallel port pin (2-9) as inputs
« on: January 27, 2008, 01:37:56 AM »

I have my 2ND parallel port  ,and I need more input in MACH3

in MACH3 in ( Port Setup and Axis Selection ) Port#2 ( Pins 2-9 as inputs) .
I installed 2ND parallel port ,to have more inputs and in my installation I tag ( Pins 2-9 as inputs )
the board works fine only as an outputs.

Please Can any one help me to get more inputs as second parallel port.

Saleh,

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd parallel port pin (2-9) as inputs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 11:19:07 AM »
I do not know what "port" you have bought. Can it be used with pins 2 - 9 as inputs.

If it is just a "printer" port, pins 2 - 0 are outputs only, 10 - 13 and 15 are inputs, and 1,14,16 and 17 are outputs. 18 to 25 are signal gnd (0v).

What you need is a general purpose port, where all the pins can function as inputs or outputs.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 11:42:54 AM »

Where do I find general purpose port ? so I can buy

Saleh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 01:24:48 PM »
I have had this problem in the past as it was not possible to set the PCI card up as EPP or whatever, anyway the way I got round it was to use my motherboards port as port 2 and use the PCI card as port 1. Obviously you will have to swap the cables but its easy enough to do that :)
Hood
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 08:39:24 PM »
What card, with which chipset are you using?

melee

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 12:42:35 PM »
Hi

Having built a nice MPG pendant, I have fallen foul of this inability to set pins 2-9 as inputs on a second par port card issue.
This is despite being able to ensure ECP is set etc. All wiring tested perfect and if I assign signals to pins 10-13 or 15 all works perfectly ( other than being 6 inputs short)

The chipset of the card is MosChip, which one thread on CNCzone said worked and later I saw another which said it didn't, even though the card data says it supports ECP EPP etc.

I cannot simply swap plugs and reassign port numbers, using the card for my control box, and motherboard par port for the pendant.
I tried it and found that the card would not drive my Z axis properly.
There is some issue with voltages I think, plus the pendant is unbuffered and I don't really want it attached directly to my computer par port.

I have rewired a temporary fix using the 5 pins available to get X,Y,Z selection plus A and B MPG channels.

The computer is a 2.4MHz Pentium 4 with Phoenix BIOS running XP SP2.  The card is recognised fully by XP and shown as working in ECP mode.

So my question is, does anyone know of a specific make and model of PCI parallel port card, available in the UK, which works using pins 2-9 as inputs with Mach?

A specific supplier who stocks them would be good too.

thanks

Melee

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 01:17:49 PM »
I use PCI Pport cards too, I have found that some work good and others don't, The problem seems to be that some change the output voltages. The most highly recommended PCI card that I have found is from "SIIG" CyberPro, There are a number of part numbers but this is the one I am using, jj-p00112-S5
They are not cheap @ or near $50, but worth it. The only problem I have experienced is with a new bread of motherboard which uses a differant addressing than what MACH uses. I have not found the cure for this yet.
CRUISER
  Don

melee

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 01:17:41 PM »
Hi Cruiser

Thanks for the steer, I can find the JJ-P21022-S6 model over here.

I does seem to be a high spec card, with a high price, same in GBP as you quote in USD!

I will have to check for best price and try one

regards

Melee

melee

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 12:43:30 PM »
Hi All

Just so the information is searchable on the forum.

Cruiser was kind enough to sell me a spare card and ship it to me.

The "SIIG" CyberPro JJ-P00112-S5" PCI Parallel Port card WORKS FLAWLESSLY.

The main difference appears to be that it is a proper high end I/O card with full standards support and not just a card to allow an old printer to be used with a USB only newer computer.

I now have a fully functioning pendant utilising all 15 OEM triggers

regards

Melee

Offline johnv

•  43 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 07:41:41 PM »
Hello to you all,
 I'm using the same SIIG card and can't get ports 2-9 to work as inputs. all signals go thru the breakout board correctly to the db25 connector. I know that by not connecting the PC to the BOB. When I connect the PC, Mach3 puts pins 2-9 at a high level killing the signal. it keeps the other inputs at a low level allowing those to function. Any help out there? PLEASE!
Johnv